Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100-3200 vs Epson 7900 dots structure  (Read 1669 times)

Lukas

HP Z3100-3200 vs Epson 7900 dots structure
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:08:59 am »

Hi from Spain. I have a Epson 7900.

If you compare two prints from HP Z3100 and epson 7900 with 8x magnifying (max. resolution possible both):
HP is very fine dots structure and tight. Is difficult to see even with 8x magnifying.
Epson 7900 is much more noticeable with normal dots and more little magenta dots spread for all printed surface (no in B/W prints). No difference apreciable between both prints  when see it normal sight.
Yes you can said to me: "Nobody goes with two 8x magnifying at eyes attached". Of course, but this question is like a little 3900$ sting in my neck.

Does somebody know if is possible reach HP quality dots with Epson? or maybe they are two differents personalities dots structure.
Thanks

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
HP Z3100-3200 vs Epson 7900 dots structure
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:40 pm »

Quote from: Lukas
Hi from Spain. I have a Epson 7900.

If you compare two prints from HP Z3100 and epson 7900 with 8x magnifying (max. resolution possible both):
HP is very fine dots structure and tight. Is difficult to see even with 8x magnifying.
Epson 7900 is much more noticeable with normal dots and more little magenta dots spread for all printed surface (no in B/W prints). No difference apreciable between both prints  when see it normal sight.
Yes you can said to me: "Nobody goes with two 8x magnifying at eyes attached". Of course, but this question is like a little 3900$ sting in my neck.

Does somebody know if is possible reach HP quality dots with Epson? or maybe they are two differents personalities dots structure.
Thanks

Well screening is designed for visual ascetics, meaning they develop it so that it looks good under normal viewing conditions. Also Epson is capable of producing a smaller dot, so the technology is on Epson's side. I looked at screening when I was putting together my reviews and found it to be a non issue. When you say reach HP quality it's hard to answer this question because when I look at two prints side by side on the wall the screening is not noticeable at all. Now if you intend to do dot proofing of one bit files you will find that epson printers are the hardware of choice due to the small dot size and ease of control. The other thing to consider is that at equal visual quality the 7900 is going to be close to 4X as fast. That said over all I still prefer the Z31/200 prints a bit better over the epson's, but this is really splitting hairs.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow
Pages: [1]   Go Up