Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 monitors question  (Read 3358 times)

Pindy

2 monitors question
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:19:59 am »

Loving the 2-monitor thing. What's odd is the behaviour I'm seeing when I have the 2nd monitor in Survey and the 1st monitor in Grid. The way I use Survey is to whittle down a bunch of like photos until I find the selects—this is normal—but when monitor 1 is in Grid mode, clicking a photo in the Survey and pressing X assigns all the selected photos with a black flag at once. I don't want that. I know this is normal behaviour if you were on one monitor in grid mode, but I'm in Survey, with Grid mode being used to select that which I want to see in Survey mode.

Isn't that thinking kind of wrong?

If you have Survey mode open, shouldn't LR pre-suppose that the judgments you make in Survey mode should be meted out on an individual basis? To fix the problem, I have to have monitor 1 in Loupe mode and monitor 2 in Survey. This defeats the purpose of having two monitors, since I want to have an overview of my catalogue on one monitor and the one's I want to filter through on the other.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:20:56 am by Pindy »

genemcc

• http://pixveritas.com
2 monitors question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:32:37 am »

Quote from: Pindy
To fix the problem, I have to have monitor 1 in Loupe mode and monitor 2 in Survey. This defeats the purpose of having two monitors, since I want to have an overview of my catalogue on one monitor and the one's I want to filter through on the other.

Happy New Year Pindy!  

Simple solution..just reverse the monitors. Have Monitor 1 in survey and Monitor 2 in grid. Then your actions only effect one image at a time. There are some differences in the modes when they appear on the second monitor and Adobe hasn't addressed/explained them very well.
Gene
Li

Gurglamei

2 monitors question
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:26:06 am »

FYI

I posted a question on the adobe forum regarding some odd behavior in grid mode on the second monitor. I was given the explanation that grid mode on the second monitor is really only a filmstrip mode shown over several lines. Hence in grid mode on the second monitor you can not delete, label etc more than one image at a time.  If you select several images only the most selected gets deleted, labeled etc.

Christopher

Pindy

2 monitors question
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »

Sounds like they haven't really thought it through 100%. I will try the reverse monitor idea. Many thanks and happy new year!

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
2 monitors question
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:51:34 pm »

Yes, you can act on a multiple-image selection in 2nd monitor grid mode - I do all the time. But you need to do it using the context / right-click menu over the selection on the grid. You can't do it using the controls on the main monitor. Use those to act only on the current image. So you can do both variations.

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:54:38 pm by djgarcia »
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Victoria Bampton

• Lightroom Queen
2 monitors question
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:13 am »

Quote from: Pindy
Sounds like they haven't really thought it through 100%.

It's actually been thought through quite well - if you use a menu command or keyboard shortcut, how is it meant to know which screen you're looking at?  For that reason, menu commands and keyboard shortcuts will be applied to the main window, however the right-click will apply to whichever screen you're clicking on.
Victoria
[url=http://www.lightroomqueen.

Pindy

2 monitors question
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:32:32 pm »

Quote from: Victoria Bampton
It's actually been thought through quite well - if you use a menu command or keyboard shortcut, how is it meant to know which screen you're looking at?  For that reason, menu commands and keyboard shortcuts will be applied to the main window, however the right-click will apply to whichever screen you're clicking on.

I understand you have the problem of which screen gets "focused" on using key commands—fair enough. I would have hoped the context of what you were doing would dictate the behaviour. The fact of using the Survey mode means you wish to separate the wheat from the chaff, irrespective of how you got the images to be displayed on your survey screen in the first place. LR seems to think I wanted a combine harvester (cue the Wurzels) instead of a scythe. Perhaps there's some larger utility/flexibility that's heretofore lost on me. Either way, Thanks all for the "solution"—I shall go now employ it rather than argue further for my every whim and perspective to be catered to!

Gurglamei

2 monitors question
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 09:36:33 am »

Quote from: djgarcia
Yes, you can act on a multiple-image selection in 2nd monitor grid mode - I do all the time. But you need to do it using the context / right-click menu over the selection on the grid. You can't do it using the controls on the main monitor. Use those to act only on the current image. So you can do both variations.

Happy New Year!

Aha! Thanks for that one.  

Christopher
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:33:46 pm by Gurglamei »
Pages: [1]   Go Up