Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SDHC cards for G10  (Read 3011 times)

Steve Miller

SDHC cards for G10
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:21:57 am »

Quick question (I hope).

I'm buying a G10 for a go anywhere compliment to lugging around my Canon DSLR gear. Does anyone know if there is a difference between a Class 4 or Class 6 SDHC card for the G10. I guess this could be a two-part question/answer as I may see no benefit in the camera (write speed), but I would see it when transferring files to my Mac. Also, Amazon is throwing in a free 4GB Kingston Class 4 SDHC card with the purchase of the G10. I've always used SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III. Is the Kingston cr*p, or is it just as reliable?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

JoanneMead

• http://www.joannemeadphotography.co.uk
SDHC cards for G10
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:38:24 am »

Quote from: Steve Miller
Quick question (I hope).

I'm buying a G10 for a go anywhere compliment to lugging around my Canon DSLR gear. Does anyone know if there is a difference between a Class 4 or Class 6 SDHC card for the G10. I guess this could be a two-part question/answer as I may see no benefit in the camera (write speed), but I would see it when transferring files to my Mac. Also, Amazon is throwing in a free 4GB Kingston Class 4 SDHC card with the purchase of the G10. I've always used SanDisk Ultra II or Extreme III. Is the Kingston cr*p, or is it just as reliable?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi Steve

I have both the G9 and G10 at present and I prefer to use the Extreme III SDHC cards in mine.  I got a free Kingston card with my G9 and preferred not to use it.  Class 6 cards are 50% faster than Class 4 and with the Digic 3 and 4 processors, you will definitely notice the difference.  You could always keep the Kingston as a good backup for those more shutter-happy moments.

Jo
Jo

Herts, UK

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
SDHC cards for G10
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:48:42 am »

SDHC Cards are so insanely cheap now that there's no reason to go for slower cards.  Get the Class 6. They easily keep up with the G10's top speed with RAW files.

I use a Transcend 16GB Class 6 card, which cost me $39.99 Canadian. I am a huge fan of Transcend's cards. I use their SDs exclusively, and now have a number of their 300x UDMA CFs. They have been 100% reliable.

Cheers,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Steve Miller

SDHC cards for G10
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:53:26 am »

Quote from: ndevlin
SDHC Cards are so insanely cheap now that there's no reason to go for slower cards.  Get the Class 6. They easily keep up with the G10's top speed with RAW files.

I use a Transcend 16GB Class 6 card, which cost me $39.99 Canadian. I am a huge fan of Transcend's cards. I use their SDs exclusively, and now have a number of their 300x UDMA CFs. They have been 100% reliable.

Cheers,

- N.
Thanks Joanne and N,

Do either of you know if there's a limitation with the G10 and shooting RAW that limits card sizes to 4GB (something about CHDK)?

Thanks,

Steve

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
SDHC cards for G10
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:15 pm »

Quote from: Steve Miller
Thanks Joanne and N,

Do either of you know if there's a limitation with the G10 and shooting RAW that limits card sizes to 4GB (something about CHDK)?

Thanks,

Steve

No, absolutely not. I use the 16GB SDHC card without any issues.  

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Steve Miller

SDHC cards for G10
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:38:26 am »

Quote from: ndevlin
No, absolutely not. I use the 16GB SDHC card without any issues.  

- N.
Thanks again.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up