Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Panoramic Files  (Read 3551 times)

dan in marin

Printing Panoramic Files
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:40 am »

I am having trouble maximizing stitched photos (PS3 in LR2.2).  I am trying to print on 13 x 19 media and the largest I can get the photo to print is only 5.5" in height.  I am very much a novice, so this may be an obvious oversight on my part, but is this because of the cropping that was done after the stitching. The cropping was limited to straighten the file after PS3 finished creating the panoramic file.  

Driver is for a Canon 9500 using MS Vista 64.  Any insights are most appreciated.

Dan

rcannonp

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:06:30 am »

Check your Cell Size settings under the Layout panel in the Print module. Drag the sliders all the way to the right. You might also make sure that the Rotate to Fit box is checked under Image Settings.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

dan in marin

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 04:57:24 pm »

Quote from: rcannonp
Check your Cell Size settings under the Layout panel in the Print module. Drag the sliders all the way to the right. You might also make sure that the Rotate to Fit box is checked under Image Settings.
Thanx Cannon,

I have maximized both the cell size and the rotate to fix box.  I do not have this problem with any other printing project, even when they are cropped.  Only when I have used the stitching tool and bring it back to LR.  I have also tried to print from PS3, but with the same result.

rcannonp

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:24:29 pm »

You wouldn't happen to have Keep Square or Zoom to Fill checked would you?
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

Farmer

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:41:51 pm »

What are the pixel dimensions of the panorama?
Phil Brown

dan in marin

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:11:06 am »

Let me check the pixel dimensions, I bet you are on to something.  I do not have the keep square or zoom to fill checked, so it has to be related to the actual amount of data available to print.

Thanx all

Dan

dan in marin

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:25:30 pm »

My pixel size is 6956 by 2459 pixels and document size is 28.9 by 10.2 in inches.  I cannot get it to print larger than 5+ inches in height.  I am really confused now.

Dan

Farmer

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:54:20 pm »

Quote from: dan in marin
My pixel size is 6956 by 2459 pixels and document size is 28.9 by 10.2 in inches.  I cannot get it to print larger than 5+ inches in height.  I am really confused now.

Dan

OK - you might be running into a limitation in PS CS3 under Windows.  You have a limitation of around 10000 pixels.  Because your image is 6956 at 240ppi it would seem fine, but the native matrix of the printer driver may be ressing that up when it's rasterised (the Epsons do this up to 360, for example) and then that data is "shown" back to PS and if it's more than its pixel limit under Windows it will have issues.  I don't know if the Canon driver does this, though, so it's not a certainty.

With the Epsons, there's an option for "Coarse Rendering" which deals with this problem (output is still fine, just how it deals with the data) but I'm not sure about the Canons.

You might be able to try cutting it back to say 6300 pixels at 240ppi and see if that works (if so, then it's probably related to the above).

Other than that, I'm really not sure - I just don't know enough about the Canon driver.  Someone else may have a better idea :-)

Phil Brown

Blendenteufel

• http://www.blendenteufel.de
Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 12:17:09 am »

I think your problem is simple:

Your images has an aspect ration of nealy 3:1, which means that if you could make full use of the 19inches of the A3+ format your image can only be 6.3in high, or at least that what the paper settings in CS3 suggests. It looks like you're not having setup borderless printing and have even less.

There is not much you can do except:

- print on roll-paper which does not limit yourself in the length of the print
- use a commercial printer who can make larger prints for you
- crop your panorama to 2.5:1 or 2:1 aspect ratio

Hope that helps.
Regards,
 Michael.  [url=http://www.catha

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:28:28 am »

Quote from: dan in marin
I am having trouble maximizing stitched photos (PS3 in LR2.2).  I am trying to print on 13 x 19 media and the largest I can get the photo to print is only 5.5" in height.  I am very much a novice, so this may be an obvious oversight on my part, but is this because of the cropping that was done after the stitching. The cropping was limited to straighten the file after PS3 finished creating the panoramic file.  

Driver is for a Canon 9500 using MS Vista 64.  Any insights are most appreciated.

Dan
As Micheal said, you either need to crop the image, or print on a longer sheet (roll paper would be ideal). I suppose you could stretch the image to fit the sheet but that would just distort the image and make it look terrible.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 04:40:25 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
As Micheal said, you either need to crop the image, or print on a longer sheet (roll paper would be ideal). I suppose you could stretch the image to fit the sheet but that would just distort the image and make it look terrible.

Additionally, check how long is the longest print your printer supports - it depends on firmware.

dan in marin

Printing Panoramic Files
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:59 pm »

Thanx everyone, I believe you have all hit on the issue as it relates to the maxium length I can print.  I now believe if I could print on a roll then I could increase the height.  I do not believe I can do this with the Canon though.  Another good reason for a Epson I suppose.

Happy New Year

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up