Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom working with Win 64bit, iCore7 and 32gigs of RAM  (Read 5579 times)

soneill

Lightroom working with Win 64bit, iCore7 and 32gigs of RAM
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:58:02 am »

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone out there work with Lightromm in Win (XP or Vista? 64bit with the new iCore7 processor and/or a serious amount of RAM ?

I am looking into a new PC build at present .. something that will seriously speed up my workflow ..  I would prefer to saty on Windows so I can hit the ground running ...

Feel free to let me know what specs you have and what the performance is like ..

any feedback much appreciated ..

Regards,

S

Sheldon N

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:05:46 pm »

That is a serious set of specification for a Lightroom machine.

I have a newer PC build that I am using for Lightroom and CS4, a little more conservative in specs though. It's a quad core Q9550 overclocked to 3.6Ghz (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard), 8GB RAM, Vista 64bit, 3 separate hard drives for OS/programs, database file, and image storage.

It moves through Lightroom with no lag whatsoever - as fast as I can push the keys or work the mouse it keeps up. Photoshop is very speedy too, benchmarks are pretty much equivalent to a high end Mac Pro.

I'm sure the Core i7 with 32GB will be faster (assuming you get the clock speed up to 3.4 or 3.5Ghz+) and more future proof, but that's a fairly spendy machine just to run Lightroom.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

soneill

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 01:11:47 pm »

Hi Sheldon ..   I am delighted to hear that your spec is exceeeding your expectations ..  if Lightroom operates as efficently as you say then I am happy to get something similar ..   with the Euro/Sterling rate the way it is I can get a massive discount, hence going for a monster spec ..

I intend to get a seperate hard drive for Lightroom and PS4 ..  will they suffice on one between them? or would they need one each?

Also, you say you have one hard drive for database ..  what does that mean?

thanks for your feedback ..

S

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:28:38 pm »

Personally I don't think you need 32 gigs of RAM for image applications. I work with Betterlight images that range in size from 800Mb to 2 or 3Gb stitched, and I could only tell a minimal increase in performance going from 10gigs to 16gigs on my Mac Pro. I would expect you would get another increase in performance going from 16 to 32 but it would be diminishing returns. You would be paying a HUGE amount of money for not that much gain. It would be interesting to see some actual performance tests though.

soneill

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:55:55 pm »

Quote from: sesshin
Personally I don't think you need 32 gigs of RAM for image applications. I work with Betterlight images that range in size from 800Mb to 2 or 3Gb stitched, and I could only tell a minimal increase in performance going from 10gigs to 16gigs on my Mac Pro. I would expect you would get another increase in performance going from 16 to 32 but it would be diminishing returns. You would be paying a HUGE amount of money for not that much gain. It would be interesting to see some actual performance tests though.

this is the spec I am looking at presently ..   its tough to know what excactly to get ..

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-965 (4 X 3.20GHz) 6.4GTs/8MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
12GB CORSAIR XMS3 1600MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (6x2GB)

Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE || EXTREME: DDR3, 3-WAY SLI / CROSSFIREX SUPPORT

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64 bit Edition + SP1, CD & Licence (£85)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
150GB WD VelociRaptor® SATA 16MB CACHE (10,000rpm)   ...  for Lightroom and Photoshop only

2nd Hard Disk
1000GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

Graphics Card
2048MB RADEON HD 4870X2 PCI Express + 2 x DVI   ..   I have heard before that Photoshop can use the extra memory in the Graphics Card ??  

Processor Cooling
ASUS TRITON 81 PURE COPPER BASE ULTRA COOLER (£45)

S

Sheldon N

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 02:31:22 pm »

Quote from: soneill
this is the spec I am looking at presently ..   its tough to know what excactly to get ..

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-965 (4 X 3.20GHz) 6.4GTs/8MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
12GB CORSAIR XMS3 1600MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (6x2GB)

Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE || EXTREME: DDR3, 3-WAY SLI / CROSSFIREX SUPPORT

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64 bit Edition + SP1, CD & Licence (£85)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
150GB WD VelociRaptor® SATA 16MB CACHE (10,000rpm)   ...  for Lightroom and Photoshop only

2nd Hard Disk
1000GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

Graphics Card
2048MB RADEON HD 4870X2 PCI Express + 2 x DVI   ..   I have heard before that Photoshop can use the extra memory in the Graphics Card ??  

Processor Cooling
ASUS TRITON 81 PURE COPPER BASE ULTRA COOLER (£45)

S

That looks like a very reasonable set of equipment.

I don't think that the additional memory on the video card is of any help to Photoshop. I've even read that a lot of memory on the video card can sometimes slow down Photoshop. I'd go with 512MB or 1GB on the video card. The Radeon 4870 is cutting edge and more expensive, I went with the 4850 and it seems to do just fine.

The 150GB Velociraptor for the operating system and programs is a good drive, I'm using the same one. You might consider going to the 300GB velociraptor in case you want to add any other programs, music, etc. I don't have too much fluff on my computer but I'm down to only 60GB free on the 150GB drive already.

Photoshop and Lightroom can both benefit from a multi hard drive configuration. This helps minimize the hard drive needing to access multiple items from the same hard drive at the same time (with a resultant slowdown). The preferred configuration is as follows...

Hard drive #1 - Operating System, Programs, Windows Memory Paging File (O/S virtual memory)
Hard drive #2 - Photoshop Scratch Disk, Lightroom Database Files
Hard drive #3 - Image/file storage

I'd go with the 300GB Velociraptor for drive #1, and look at the Western Digital Caviar Black series of drives for drives #2 and #3. The WD 640GB Caviar Black drive is a very affordable and very fast all around performer, would be perfect for drive #2. It would leave lots and lots of extra space, since you only really need 100-200GB for drive #2. You could even do a 150GB Velociraptor for #2, but it's double the cost and not really that much faster. Some people will do a RAID 0 setup for Photoshop scratch disk, but since you are keeping the Lightroom database on the same drive, I'd go with a fast single drive for greater reliability. The 1TB Caviar Black is a very good large drive, would be perfect for #3.

Don't forget a case with lots of cooling, especially if you plan to overclock the i7 CPU. I went with the Antec 900, which can move a LOT of air and has a lot of space.

If you are doing a lot of work in Lightroom, look at going with a dual monitor setup. It can really enhance your productivity by having one image in Loupe view at all times with the grid view on the other screen. You'll need two video cards to support two monitor profiles, so maybe go with two simpler video cards such as a pair of ATI Radeon 4850's with 1GB of memory each.

Don't forget a good power supply to drive all these components.

Hope this helps!
Sheldon Nalos

soneill

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 04:38:59 am »

This is great info Sheldon ..  I have refined the spec and you have actually helped save me a few quid!   thanks ..    I have one more question: do you think that partitioning a 300gb Hard Drive to 150GB each and allow LR run from one side and PS on the other would be a good idea?

S

Quote from: Sheldon N
That looks like a very reasonable set of equipment.

I don't think that the additional memory on the video card is of any help to Photoshop. I've even read that a lot of memory on the video card can sometimes slow down Photoshop. I'd go with 512MB or 1GB on the video card. The Radeon 4870 is cutting edge and more expensive, I went with the 4850 and it seems to do just fine.

The 150GB Velociraptor for the operating system and programs is a good drive, I'm using the same one. You might consider going to the 300GB velociraptor in case you want to add any other programs, music, etc. I don't have too much fluff on my computer but I'm down to only 60GB free on the 150GB drive already.

Photoshop and Lightroom can both benefit from a multi hard drive configuration. This helps minimize the hard drive needing to access multiple items from the same hard drive at the same time (with a resultant slowdown). The preferred configuration is as follows...

Hard drive #1 - Operating System, Programs, Windows Memory Paging File (O/S virtual memory)
Hard drive #2 - Photoshop Scratch Disk, Lightroom Database Files
Hard drive #3 - Image/file storage

I'd go with the 300GB Velociraptor for drive #1, and look at the Western Digital Caviar Black series of drives for drives #2 and #3. The WD 640GB Caviar Black drive is a very affordable and very fast all around performer, would be perfect for drive #2. It would leave lots and lots of extra space, since you only really need 100-200GB for drive #2. You could even do a 150GB Velociraptor for #2, but it's double the cost and not really that much faster. Some people will do a RAID 0 setup for Photoshop scratch disk, but since you are keeping the Lightroom database on the same drive, I'd go with a fast single drive for greater reliability. The 1TB Caviar Black is a very good large drive, would be perfect for #3.

Don't forget a case with lots of cooling, especially if you plan to overclock the i7 CPU. I went with the Antec 900, which can move a LOT of air and has a lot of space.

If you are doing a lot of work in Lightroom, look at going with a dual monitor setup. It can really enhance your productivity by having one image in Loupe view at all times with the grid view on the other screen. You'll need two video cards to support two monitor profiles, so maybe go with two simpler video cards such as a pair of ATI Radeon 4850's with 1GB of memory each.

Don't forget a good power supply to drive all these components.

Hope this helps!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 04:51:18 am »

This is great info Sheldon ..  I have refined the spec and you have actually helped save me a few quid!   thanks ..    I have one more question: do you think that partitioning a 300gb Hard Drive to 150GB each and allow LR run from one side and PS on the other would be a good idea?

S

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with that. If you plan on running them at the same time (batch exporting from LR while editing an image in PS, for example), then you would be better off with having the PS scratch disk on a separate drive than LR scratch disk (can't remember if LR scratch disk can be designated).

The advantage of running scratch disk from another physical drive than the OS is that your computer can read/write on the scratch disk while doing the same on the OS disk. If they're on the same drive, it has to work overtime to keep up. But you would not be using much scratch disk with that much memory anyway

Generally it's best to have all your programs on C drive for compatibility reasons. I'd imagine LR and PS would work fine, and even plugins might work, but I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle.

Good thread, I need to upgrade my computer as well. But I need to start with a proper home storage, probably a Drobo.

Sheldon N

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 01:07:20 pm »

S

I don't think it would accomplish anything, I'd leave the drive with the O/S and programs unpartitioned. Your program files will all want to be installed in their normal location on the primary hard drive....  c:/programs/adobe/.... etc

You could go with two drives to separate the lightroom database files and the CS4 scratch disk, but I've not run into problems having them both on the same drive. Even if both programs are open at the same time, you typically work in just one at a time. If the program is open but in an "idle" state, it is unlikely that it would be reading/writing to the hard drive. The only exception would be something like running a large batch process (ie. exporting a couple hundred photos from lightroom or running a batch action in CS4) then jumping to the other program to work while stuff runs in the background. Even then I think your computer would have plenty of horsepower to do both at the same time.

As feppe pointed out photoshop is not likely to use the scratch disk very often when you have 12GB of RAM to work with! It takes a big file (500MB-1GB) and heavy editing for CS4 to start using scratch on my machine, and I only have 8GB of RAM.
Sheldon Nalos
Pages: [1]   Go Up