Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Manual White Balance - how to?

<< < (4/4)

Guillermo Luijk:
What white balance would be the 'genuine' one? meaning by 'genuine' the adjustment that would provide an image that when displayed on an ideal device (a perfectly calibrated monitor with no gamut limitations for example), would be as close to the real scene (I mean physically measuring with an spectrum meter, not through our eyes) as possible?

Maybe something close to the typical Daylight preset found on any camera?

BR

Hening Bettermann:
@ Gabor

Hm... Of course the adaptation is relative to the surrounding - but that is: to light. I mean color models and color spaces are based on comparing physical measurements to human vision. Why should it not be possible to make such comparison for WB in changing light?

Furthermore: maybe these data do exist - and we/I just don't know 'em. And maybe the camera maker engineers have such data, and maybe the AWB is built on them. After all, I am so far happy with AWB. But that is without comparison - and I would just like to know what is going on under the hood.

So for now, I settle with AWB, and have learned, that there is no reason to fiddle around with a white card or invest in an ExpoDisk.

@ Guillermo:
> Maybe something close to the typical Daylight preset found on any camera?

I would think so. -

Good light - of any color! - Hening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version