Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long exposure waterfall  (Read 13427 times)

DanPBrown

• http://danbrownphotography.com/
Long exposure waterfall
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:46:06 pm »

Howdy folks. I usually prefer the look of falling water with a faster shutter speed than 90 seconds, but I think it works with this image. The photo was taken before sunrise.
Dan
Visit My Website
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:22:49 pm by DanPBrown »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Long exposure waterfall
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:22 am »

Hi Dan, and welcome to the list!  If you go to John Paul Caponigro's blog site, he had an article recently on different exposure times for flowing water and the different effects they create.  Hang on... here ya go.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DanPBrown

Long exposure waterfall
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:20:13 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi Dan, and welcome to the list!  If you go to John Paul Caponigro's blog site, he had an article recently on different exposure times for flowing water and the different effects they create.  Hang on... here ya go.

Mike.
Thanks Mike. My preference on taller waterfalls is around 1/20".
Dan
www.danbrownphotography.com

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk
Long exposure waterfall
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:56:33 am »

Love the piccie, thanks for sharing.

Something I've been playing with recently is merging water shots taken with different shutter speeds.
What I tend to do is take a range of exposures from very long to very short and sort out how I want the water to look in post-processing.

For example, using your picture as the base layer in Photoshop
Add a layer of the same scene taken at 1/20s with layer mask set to Hide All
Then use the layer mask to paint in texture from the 1/20 into the lighter water.
The results would be exactly the same except for a hint of texture in the lighter areas.

I've also done some the other way around, used the short exposure as the base layer and the long exposure on top of it to join-the-dots of the texture with some blurry movement.

For closer water, I've also tried punching a bit of fill in flash at the water to make it sparkle.
Again - use this as a layer on top of a 'properly' exposed image, otherwise it can looks a bit over-the-top.

DanPBrown

Long exposure waterfall
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:57:08 am »

Quote from: Nacnud
Love the piccie, thanks for sharing.

Something I've been playing with recently is merging water shots taken with different shutter speeds.
What I tend to do is take a range of exposures from very long to very short and sort out how I want the water to look in post-processing.

For example, using your picture as the base layer in Photoshop
Add a layer of the same scene taken at 1/20s with layer mask set to Hide All
Then use the layer mask to paint in texture from the 1/20 into the lighter water.
The results would be exactly the same except for a hint of texture in the lighter areas.

I've also done some the other way around, used the short exposure as the base layer and the long exposure on top of it to join-the-dots of the texture with some blurry movement.

For closer water, I've also tried punching a bit of fill in flash at the water to make it sparkle.
Again - use this as a layer on top of a 'properly' exposed image, otherwise it can looks a bit over-the-top.
Thanks. I like your idea of using some fill flash. I was also thinking of trying a night shot and "paint" the waterfall with a flashlight. It is an easy to get to waterfall that is easy navigate so would be a good first choice for the idea.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up