Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small view camera for architecture  (Read 6429 times)

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
Small view camera for architecture
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:29:22 am »

I know this topic has been discussed in great length in other posts but I am looking for a small, portable view camera that will allow all the movements that a view camera bellows can do. The majority of my work are interiors so I will be in tight places sometimes so size is a major factor.

My other requirement is a wide angle lens (17 or 21 35mm equivalent) that can work with this system.

Did I also mention I have a budget of around $2000, so that blows many of these cameras out of my price range unless I win the lottery.  

I have looked at the Cambo Wide DS and RS but there does not seem to be any way to tilt, only shift.

The SILVESTRI FLEXICAM looks promising but expensive. I also looked at the BiCam NK to use my Nikon lenses with the Flexbellow Maxi.

The only other body I have seen like this is the Hasselblad Arcbody but I think it only uses Hasselblad glass and I want to use a wide lens like the Schnider 24mm.

Any advice?

Thanks.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 02:04:17 pm »

Quote from: nubins
I know this topic has been discussed in great length in other posts but I am looking for a small, portable view camera that will allow all the movements that a view camera bellows can do. The majority of my work are interiors so I will be in tight places sometimes so size is a major factor.

My other requirement is a wide angle lens (17 or 21 35mm equivalent) that can work with this system.

Did I also mention I have a budget of around $2000, so that blows many of these cameras out of my price range unless I win the lottery.  

I have looked at the Cambo Wide DS and RS but there does not seem to be any way to tilt, only shift.

The SILVESTRI FLEXICAM looks promising but expensive. I also looked at the BiCam NK to use my Nikon lenses with the Flexbellow Maxi.

The only other body I have seen like this is the Hasselblad Arcbody but I think it only uses Hasselblad glass and I want to use a wide lens like the Schnider 24mm.

Any advice?

Thanks.

At $2000 youll have to compromise one way or another. Also with super wide angles, you wont be able to use them on actual view cameras. Most view cameras can use 45mm and above, however the schneider 28mm can be used due to its design.  

The wide ds is really your best choice for the price point.

michele

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »

Well, I hope you own yet the 24mm because with 2000 $ you can't neither buy the lens... Do you want to use a digital back or a 35mm digital reflex? Due to the small coverage of the 24mm schneider you cannot use any movement with a 36x48mm digital back... With a Linhof or an Arca Swiss (both 6x9) you can use the 28 and the 23 from rodenstock (also the 28 from schneider) but they are very expensive... I'd like to use view cameras (i like pretty much the arca swiss 6x9) but i have to wait until i have 10000 euro...

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 02:56:33 pm »

Tilt really isn't required with the wide angles on these cameras, even for interior work. Practically, keeping a lens like a digitar 35 plane to the sensor in an accurate way is more important than anything else, so any mechanism introducing tilt is asking for the introduction of inaccuracy that would be more a hinderance than help.

I think tilt might be practical using live view on a digital back, but not otherwise. It would be essential to check sharpness at the edges when tilting to make sure that exactly what was required was happening.

I use 24XL, 35XL, 47XL and 72XL in interiors without tilt, but with Leica disto for calculating exact focus distance.

Other options include using Heliconfocus (a software solution for extreme depth of focus) if you need super sharpness everywhere.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but you will be lucky to get something like this for $2000. I think I paid about 2.5 times that just for the 24XL. That was before the $ or £ tanked against the Euro. Still Ebay does work wonders sometimes, so I wish you luck.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:59:34 pm by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:48:24 pm »

Any advice?

Thanks.

$2000?not gonna get you what you need...

nubins

• http://www.lightboxf8.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 01:41:26 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I know $2000 is not much but I need to ease myself into this. I am just starting to do this professionally and don't have a decent client list yet to support a $15,000+ investment when including the digital back. So cheap and used is the only route I can go.

I was doing some research yesterday and found the Fuji GX680III. It seems to have everything I need. Tilt/Shift and Swing, a decent wide angle at 50mm and 65mm and somewhat portable if I start hitting the gym?  

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on this camera? I know its been discontinued for a while but I can usually buy the 680III with 65mm or 80mm lens for under $1000 on ebay or KEH. There seems to be enough accessories and cameras out there for parts and updates if parts wear out.

From what I understand Fuji glass is really sharp and the lens are well under $1000 at KEH. Any comment on Fuji glass?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 01:42:29 pm by nubins »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I know $2000 is not much but I need to ease myself into this. I am just starting to do this professionally and don't have a decent client list yet to support a $15,000+ investment when including the digital back. So cheap and used is the only route I can go.

I was doing some research yesterday and found the Fuji GX680III. It seems to have everything I need. Tilt/Shift and Swing, a decent wide angle at 50mm and 65mm and somewhat portable if I start hitting the gym?  

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on this camera? I know its been discontinued for a while but I can usually buy the 680III with 65mm or 80mm lens for under $1000 on ebay or KEH. There seems to be enough accessories and cameras out there for parts and updates if parts wear out.

From what I understand Fuji glass is really sharp and the lens are well under $1000 at KEH. Any comment on Fuji glass?

Thanks

If you can live with the 50mm at the shortest end, the GX6801/2/3 are probably your best sub-$2000 alternative. Assuming you have a 1.1 crop sensor DB, the 50 only equates to about a 35 in 35 terms.  Bear in mind you'll need to add in an adapter plate for you particular brand of back.  Fuji glass is very good in general, but I'm not sure how well the shorter (retrofocus) GX designs will hold up to digital sensors.

The 28 combined with a 1.1 crop DB is roughly equivalent to 20mm in 35 terms, and the Schnieder 28 digitar used will probably set you back around $1000 by itself. Then you need to add in a view camera that allows a MINIMUM enough bellows extension to accommodate it, which I suspect will be tough to find at under $1000 -- maybe an older Sinar P, Toyo or Horseman (none of which are small) with a really deep recessed lensboard? Then you need some form of back adapter, and there are a few Chinese graflok versions available for sub $300 on eBay.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:49:18 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

yaya

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 03:03:18 pm »

Thanks

Nubins hi, you do not mention if you intend to shoot digitally with the platform but if you do then the Fuji is unlikely to give you any real wide-angle capabilities as even the largest sensors are fairly small compared to the 6X8 film frame.

If you're looking to shoot film then something like a Linhof Technikardan S23 might give you a good compromise as it can take wide angle lenses like 38mm or 47mm and if at some point to start shooting digitally it will still be OK just don't expect to use anything wider than 38mm or 35mm on it as it won't be sturdy and accurate enough.

A fair number of architecture photographers went through the process of using their existing 4X5 platform and when realising that they offer too many compromises, they move to something smaller and eventually to a "pancake" camera of some shape or form for the wide-angle work.

There are "pancake" cameras that allow for some tilt but none is really cheap, even used:

Sinar Artec with front tilt
Silvestri Bicam+flex combo
Arca-Swiss Rm3d with front tilt

Hope this helps

Yair

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 04:12:52 pm »

Quote from: GBPhoto
Just a note that the 28 Digitar is not in the same class as the 24 & 35.  It distorts, has CA & not as sharp, that's why it's often available much cheaper than the others.  (IME)

Yes, excellent and important point -- I meant to comment on that too but forgot!  It also has a limited IC IIRC...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:37:23 am »

I would recommend a DSLR at this point.  You'll have more lens options, tilt and shift with some of the lenses.  When you can afford to step up you can keep the DSLR system as secondary system as a back up or for a second set-up on a shoot.  I would not get into a compromised MF system (meaning fewer lens choices, outdated camera system).  Concentrate on doing good work and getting more clients first.
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

hs0zfe

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 08:15:19 pm »

Well, how about a Linhof Technica? Or a Zone VI field camera? I certainly would go with 6x9 or 4x5".

A monorail would be too bulky, right?

Plenty of options in your price range and money for a 2nd WA lens as well. But then you would be buying used, of course.

michele

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 03:15:02 am »

I' d think about the photoshop correction of prospective...

archivue

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:07:03 pm »

First option : Film Medium format and later a digital Back then a second hand arca swiss Fline 69 is the way to go !

Second Option : DSLR with movement... i will go with a Nikon D700 and second PC lenses, and later PC-E lenses

I've myself a canon system, because there was only canon in the full frame domain at the time, but if it was to do it again...

I have an Arca system as well, but can't afford a good digital back and digital lenses for now... and while i'd like to have it, i'm not shure it's the right time to buy it !

There's a problem with DB and wide angle... the perfect focus is really difficult to achieve !
If an aptus 22 could have the same live view as the 5D MARK II and same screen...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:08:19 pm by archivue »
Pages: [1]   Go Up