Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountain Panorama  (Read 2493 times)

Alex_B

• http://
Mountain Panorama
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:29:19 am »

Gådoktjåhkkå and Rapadalen:

TMcCulley

Mountain Panorama
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »

Alex,

Lovely shot but the scale is so grand that it is very hard to evaluate at internet sizes.  You probably need to be at 24" X 8" to really appreciate the detail and the different tonalities in BW or in Color.

I like it

Tom

jani

• Øyet
Mountain Panorama
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:25:43 pm »

Nice and dramatic imagery, with several compositional elements that offset eachother well.

But I think there are three things that need improvement, at least on the scale we're seeing it here.

• The horizon appears tilted
  • The image seems over-cooked contrast-wise
  • I think the horizontal balance is a bit off

I've applied a slight rotation, reduced the contrast just a bit, and cut off the leftmost part in this example:

[attachment=10571:BW_4881_w2.jpg]

I think this works better with the leading lines in the image. I think I'd prefer to have more of the lake in the foreground on the left, but that's not available to me.
Jan

dalethorn

Mountain Panorama
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:07:52 pm »

Difficult to judge tilt etc. when some image elements are leaning right and others to the left.  Overall, it looks OK to me for that issue, but the real test would be to see it on the wall.  The contrast may be too high, or it may be something besides just contrast.  Maybe you could soften it a little by shifting the color some, if that's a possibility.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Mountain Panorama
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:10:42 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Difficult to judge tilt etc. when some image elements are leaning right and others to the left.  Overall, it looks OK to me for that issue, but the real test would be to see it on the wall.  The contrast may be too high, or it may be something besides just contrast.  Maybe you could soften it a little by shifting the color some, if that's a possibility.

That's what I was thinking...  nice shot overall, though!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Alex_B

Mountain Panorama
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:43:37 am »

Thanks everyone for the very constructive critique

Quote from: jani
  • The horizon appears tilted
  • The image seems over-cooked contrast-wise
  • I think the horizontal balance is a bit off

The horizon is not really tilted (if so, just very slightly), but sometimes composition and perspective give the impression the camera was not aligned properly. If that is the case, correcting this is sometimes an option, I know.

As for the contrast, I probably messed that up when reducing image size and resharpening, you are right. Unfortunately I am travelling with a poor laptop display right now, so I will not dare to do any further corrections right now

Balance ... I was not really very happy here myself.

I think this works better with the leading lines in the image. I think I'd prefer to have more of the lake in the foreground on the left, but that's not available to me.

Yes, that lake ... I am very unhappy with that myself! The problem of this shot was where I stood, I could not get more of the lake without having the image cluttered on the right hand side. Later I discovered a better place to set up my camera, but did different images. I will have to check, if there are any better images in my collection to work with.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:48:06 am by Alex_B »
Pages: [1]   Go Up