Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF 6100 or HP Z3200?  (Read 11063 times)

Bartone

• http://bartonephotography.com
Canon iPF 6100 or HP Z3200?
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:30:31 pm »

I'm having a tough time figuring this out. I've read that the HP is loud (a real problem) due to the hard disk or fan. The Epsons - I just don't trust them anymore: too many bad experiences with support and build quality (not to mention switching inks). I'd like to be able to print sheets more than rolls (maybe that'll change), and I'm not really into spending tons on inks. Plus, I don't print daily or even weekly, so I'm concerned with potential clogging.

Right now, the Canon iPF 6100 seems terrific, though it comes with starter inks (which will probably raise the overall price/cost). Actually, the 8100 is a great value, as it comes with full ink carts, but at 350 pounds, it'd require a new house for me.

Any feedback would be terrific.

Thanks
bart
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:32:56 pm by Bartone »

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »

It is my understanding that the HPz3100 comes with 69ml carts. I don't know if the same is true with the Z3200. The Canon 6100 comes with 90ml carts.  I haven't used the HP but I am very pleased with my Canon 6100.  I can't comment on the HP, but obviously lots of people are happy with theirs.

You can currently find the Canon for as low as $1950. There recently was a sale on them for $1500 plus $480 worth of paper at Atlex.com.  I don't know what the lowest price has been on the HP Z3200, but it seems that the price difference may be quite significant.

This link might help although it compares the Z3100 and is pretty basic.  The Canon Wiki is worth reading if you are considering purchasing one.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/iPF6100+vs+...0+vs+Epson+7880
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:15:42 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 01:57:20 am »

I have the z3100 44". 19 months - no clogs, no significant issues. Just perfect prints and very little hassle. My z shipped with a full set of full size 130ml ink carts - no starter carts here.

Can't speak for the z3200, but the z3100 is not loud at all. It is rather quiet - much quieter than a computer that is on.

I haven't used the Canon, but the big advantage of the z to me was and is the onboard spectro and profiling. Load whatever media /paper you're using and literally a few clicks and a few minutes later you have a perfect profile for prints that match your calibrated monitor. Best printer I have ever used or seen yet.

Good luck

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:55:26 am »

Bart,

you write you will print mostly  on sheets: both printers are more geared towards printing on roll paper, sheet paper is manual inserting, both printers do not have a sheetpaper drawer. Check also the smallest paper size you can feed into both printers against your needs. Are there sheetssizes that are bigger then A2+ ? I don't think so. Maybe a 17" printers suffices and a canon 5100 (owning one myself) has an paper drawer and it saves you a few bucks...on the other hand if you can part of the money for a 24"..... :-)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:55:45 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Bartone

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:35:57 am »

Thanks for the thought of the 5100, but I'm now stuck on the idea of 24". Size matters - at least for prints (and perhaps canvas). Good comments about the HP 3100 (though the 3200 is current), so now, I'm really, really confused!
Seems I could spend a lot of money just matching the ink costs, re: the full-sized carts with the HP vs the 'starter' carts on the Canon, no? And I was leaning toward the Canon. I should mention that I'm Mac, and have read a couple of posts regarding the HP drivers that were less than glowing. And I'm really tired of wasting paper and ink on bad prints, so if the HP hits it right every time, it's worth checking out I guess.
bart

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »

Quote from: Bartone
Seems I could spend a lot of money just matching the ink costs, re: the full-sized carts with the HP vs the 'starter' carts on the Canon, no? And I was leaning toward the Canon. I should mention that I'm Mac, and have read a couple of posts regarding the HP drivers that were less than glowing. And I'm really tired of wasting paper and ink on bad prints, so if the HP hits it right every time, it's worth checking out I guess.
bart

According to the HP web site, the Z3200 24inch model comes with 69ml starter carts.  Not that this should be a major factor in your decision.  I don't think any printer hits it right every time.  As you can only expect your monitor to "match" your print up to a reasonable point.  

I have used my Canon ipf6100 with a variety of papers and canvas and find the profiles to be very accurate. (The printer has a self calibration feature that makes sure the printer is performing up to what the profiles were expecting.)  The Canon comes with a 16 bit Photoshop print driver that is very nice.

Canon periodically has "Print master" workshops that are worth attending if you really want to see what their printers can do. Maybe HP and Epson have similar programs.  In any event, I think you'll be able to get excellent prints from all of them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:07:55 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein

hjscm

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:44:12 am »

I am in the same boat i guess.  i have a epson 4880 and love it but i want bigger.  so thinking about the new 7900.  how come no one is talking about this?  i am wondering if i should think about another printer.  I have had no problems at all with my 4880.  also on a mac.  i don't print that often and never had a clog.  guess i am just wondering why you aren't looking at epson.

thanks

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:34:45 pm »

Quote from: hjscm
guess i am just wondering why you aren't looking at epson.

thanks

He answered your question in the original post on this thread.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:45:56 pm »

I was an "Epson Guy" for years -- about ten to be exact. I bought the iPF 6100 this summer and haven't looked back. It was super simple to set up. It is one of the easiest printers I've ever used to get excellent prints virtually immediately. Additionally, though I have i1 for making custom profiles, I've found the Canon and other paper manufacturer profiles to be superb -- far better than I experienced with my Epson 4000. I obviously can't vouch for the Z3200, I just know the Canon has made me a believer in their products.

hjscm

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:09 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
He answered your question in the original post on this thread.
I am wondering cause epson has come a long way since he 4000.  so much easier to set up and get right.  i am new to large format printing and luckily had no problems with the 4880.  very rarely get bad prints and most of the time it is user error with Aperture. reading these post makes me wonder if the 7900 is the right choice.

thanks

AlanG

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:52 pm »

I am wondering cause epson has come a long way since he 4000.  so much easier to set up and get right.  i am new to large format printing and luckily had no problems with the 4880.  very rarely get bad prints and most of the time it is user error with Aperture. reading these post makes me wonder if the 7900 is the right choice.

thanks

The newer Epson printers might be great.  But I also have an opinion of Epson that is hard for me to shake. I've had a few of their desktop machines, from the original Photo Stylus to the 1270, 780, 2400 and finally the 24 inch 7600. I always had problems of the print heads clogging and the need to run the cleaning cycle often.   The Stylus, 1270 and 780 all "died" when the heads could no longer be cleared.  I have three Canon desktop printers and all have performed very well.  My frustration with the 7600 requiring running repeated cleaning cycles, led me to buy the ipf6100. And I am very very happy with it.  It prints extremely well, has performed flawlessly and is very fast.  (If I had used the 7600 more often, it might not have clogged so much.)

In preparing to sell the 7600, I have found that if I keep the print head cover pad moist with Windex, I don't seem to have a clogging problem.  Had I realized this a few months ago, I may not have bought the Canon, because even the old 7600 model prints very well.  My friends who own Epsons seem very happy with them.  But if I were buying now, I would choose the Canon because it prints very well, is very fast and when on sale, costs much less than the Epson or the HP. The 7900 goes for about $3700 vs around $1930 for the Canon.  I think the HPZ3200 24" is about $3000. And as I posted above,  there was a recent sale on the ipf6100 for $1499 plus $480 of free paper.  I bought an ipf5100 for $799 delivered. This came with $300 of free paper. (I only wanted it for the ink, paper and spare print heads.  Considering the ink was worth $500-$600, the print heads and printer itself were free.)  

So unless you have some compelling reason to go with the HP or Epson, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the Canon - especially if those low prices pop up again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:56:24 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 12:33:48 am »

thanks
Well, consider the 7880 still has the black-swap issue, and the 7900 costs twice as much as an ipf6100. That's a pretty strong argument in favor of Canon, if you ask me. The HP is more expensive than Canon also, but it least it comes with a spectro and profiling solution. Also the Canon and HP printers seem to be more frugal with ink and less prone to clogging.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Bartone

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 08:54:21 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
Well, consider the 7880 still has the black-swap issue, and the 7900 costs twice as much as an ipf6100. That's a pretty strong argument in favor of Canon, if you ask me. The HP is more expensive than Canon also, but it least it comes with a spectro and profiling solution. Also the Canon and HP printers seem to be more frugal with ink and less prone to clogging.

Thanks, I think you said it well - the Epson is much more expensive - not to mention the difficulties I've had with Epsons. The 7900 is the most recent 24" and it's much more expensive. The 7880 still has a black-swap problem (so last-century). I'm leaning toward the Canon, but the HP keeps popping back onto the radar. One issue - apparently BOTH require the paper roll to be backed out in order to load a single sheet? Whoa! When are they ever going to get this right!?

AlanG

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 09:58:11 pm »

One issue - apparently BOTH require the paper roll to be backed out in order to load a single sheet? Whoa! When are they ever going to get this right!?

On the ipf6100, press a button and a motor will instantly rewind the paper.  Then press another button to switch to sheet feed, insert a sheet, and immediately after printing on the sheet, press the button to switch back to roll feed, re-insert the end from the roll which will get taken up automatically.  No big deal.  A cassette sheet feeder as on the 5100 would be nice if you plan to print a lot from sheets, but what can you do?  

As I said before, I also have a 5100 that I bought for only $799 to get the ink, paper, and spare print heads. If I really wanted to do a lot of sheet printing, I could set it up.  (I guess my only cost would be the ink it uses to prime the system.) This is an option for you also if you have the room.  During the special pricing a couple of weeks ago from Atlex.com, you could have gotten a 6100 and a 5100 for a total of only $2300.  Plus there would have been about $800 worth of paper thrown in.  Maybe there will be an even better deal soon. ;-)  I paid $2300 for the 6100 and about $600 worth of paper in October.  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:12:32 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein

Bartone

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 08:49:55 pm »

Quote from: AlanG
On the ipf6100, press a button and a motor will instantly rewind the paper.  Then press another button to switch to sheet feed, insert a sheet, and immediately after printing on the sheet, press the button to switch back to roll feed, re-insert the end from the roll which will get taken up automatically.  No big deal.  A cassette sheet feeder as on the 5100 would be nice if you plan to print a lot from sheets, but what can you do?  

As I said before, I also have a 5100 that I bought for only $799 to get the ink, paper, and spare print heads. If I really wanted to do a lot of sheet printing, I could set it up.  (I guess my only cost would be the ink it uses to prime the system.) This is an option for you also if you have the room.  During the special pricing a couple of weeks ago from Atlex.com, you could have gotten a 6100 and a 5100 for a total of only $2300.  Plus there would have been about $800 worth of paper thrown in.  Maybe there will be an even better deal soon. ;-)  I paid $2300 for the 6100 and about $600 worth of paper in October.
I ordered today (just under the Dec 31 deadline). Sarah at Shades of Paper was the most patient person I've ever spoken with! Canon DOES offer $420 dollars worth of paper, but it's either really lousy paper or the wrong size (for a 24" printer). Well, it'll get used up, anyway. She was apologetic, but of course, it's really Canon's issue. Anyway, it's on the way, I'm excited and a bit wary. I'll post a review when I've wrestled it into my office and played with it.

mikev1

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 01:15:37 am »

I ordered today (just under the Dec 31 deadline). Sarah at Shades of Paper was the most patient person I've ever spoken with! Canon DOES offer $420 dollars worth of paper, but it's either really lousy paper or the wrong size (for a 24" printer). Well, it'll get used up, anyway. She was apologetic, but of course, it's really Canon's issue. Anyway, it's on the way, I'm excited and a bit wary. I'll post a review when I've wrestled it into my office and played with it.

I'll be interested to read you opinion.  I'm looking at a large format printer and keep moving from hp to canon to epson.

Bartone

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »

First up (I've not printed anything but the test page yet).
It's big. Not so big out of the box, the hey, it comes on an oak pallete and the box weighs in at around 230 pounds. It's probably around 40"x40"x 70" or so (rough guess). The trucker (in an 18 wheeler) couldn't get into my driveway so I had to transfer it into my van - but even then I had to take it out of the packaging and bring it up piece by piece. Once the stand was assembled, lifting the printer onto it was a chore, but OK. The setup with inks was easy and functioned perfectly. Choosing which photoshop version does NOT offer CS4 yet though. Download drivers does NOT offer Mac OS 10.4 with the 6100, but I found the action and moved it (don't know it it's functional yet. I'll spend the day with painkillers - my back's killing me!
bartone

davewolfs

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 04:48:33 pm »

I'm currently debating between these two myself right now.  Both are going for heavily discounted prices.  Does anyone have feedback on the Z3200?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »

Quote from: AlanG
The 7900 goes for about $3700 vs around $1930 for the Canon.  I think the HPZ3200 24" is about $3000. And as I posted above,  there was a recent sale on the ipf6100 for $1499 plus $480 of free paper.  I bought an ipf5100 for $799 delivered. This came with $300 of free paper. (I only wanted it for the ink, paper and spare print heads.  Considering the ink was worth $500-$600, the print heads and printer itself were free.)

This was on the digital B&W list:

For those interested in a large format printer (LFP), HP is offering a $1200 rebate with $300 worth of paper on their new Z3200 printer 24" or 44" model, I believe you get your choice of paper.  In the past there has been much discussion on this forum of HP's superior fade resistant inks.

The dealers in the Dallas area are retailing the printer for $3395 for the 24" model; so this puts the printer down to around $2200 not considering the free paper.  Considering the paper this puts the printer at about the price of the older Z3100 refurb.  HP is offering this deal until the end of April.  The rebate requires a trade in of a 24" or larger printer, plotter, or vinyl cutter; the dealer I'm buying mine from is going to use a refurbished printer they have in stock for the trade in since you don't actually have to trade it in, you just have to give them the serial number.  So if you have an older large format printer that you want to keep and convert to B&W only this is a great opportunity.  If you don't have a trade in I would call around to all of the dealers in your area as I did and tell them that if they want you to purchase the printer from them that they will have to help you find a trade in or provide it themselves as my dealer is doing; if they want your business they will probably help you out.  Even if you have to pay someone a hundred  dollars to use their serial number, they could keep the machine and would still be a great deal for you.

end of quote

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.htm

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »

Quote from: nemophoto
I was an "Epson Guy" for years -- about ten to be exact. I bought the iPF 6100 this summer and haven't looked back. It was super simple to set up. It is one of the easiest printers I've ever used to get excellent prints virtually immediately. Additionally, though I have i1 for making custom profiles, I've found the Canon and other paper manufacturer profiles to be superb -- far better than I experienced with my Epson 4000. I obviously can't vouch for the Z3200, I just know the Canon has made me a believer in their products.

Ditto for me. This week, I've just run off a dozen 24 by 32 prints using my own profiles on the 6100 and I couldn't be happier.
Bill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up