Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumens, Candelas or Lux?  (Read 18204 times)

walter.sk

Lumens, Candelas or Lux?
« on: December 25, 2008, 10:41:54 pm »

The SpectraViewII profiling software measures the light intensity of my monitor in Candelas/m2.  When I used the iOne 2 to measure ambient light it gave me a reading in degrees Kelvin, which is fine.  But the intensity of the ambient light was measured in Lux.  I am anticipating using the iOne 2 and SpectraView software to measure the light on the print plane in the print viewer I am ordering, and use that to match the light level of the monitor.

Is there a simple relationship between Lux and cd/m2?   Can you convert one to the other?  Or will I simply adjust the print viewer by eye, which we have learned is very inaccurate?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Lumens, Candelas or Lux?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:26:27 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
The SpectraViewII profiling software measures the light intensity of my monitor in Candelas/m2.  When I used the iOne 2 to measure ambient light it gave me a reading in degrees Kelvin, which is fine.  But the intensity of the ambient light was measured in Lux.  I am anticipating using the iOne 2 and SpectraView software to measure the light on the print plane in the print viewer I am ordering, and use that to match the light level of the monitor.

Is there a simple relationship between Lux and cd/m2?   Can you convert one to the other?  Or will I simply adjust the print viewer by eye, which we have learned is very inaccurate?

The Luminous intensity is expressed in Candelas (cd), and Candela = Lumen per Steradian (lm/sr). The Luminance is expressed in candelas per sqare meter(cd/m^2) (also called nits). The Illuminance and Emittance is expresed in Lux, and Lux = Lumen per sqare meter (lm/m^2)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:48:44 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

mahleu

• 500px
Lumens, Candelas or Lux?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 08:27:11 am »

walter.sk

Lumens, Candelas or Lux?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:27:47 am »

Thank you, Czornyj, for the definitions.  Mahleu, thank you for the link to the converter.  Both will be helpful to me.  Mahleu, I visited your website and found it to be very creative, individual and intellectually provocative.

mahleu

• 500px
Lumens, Candelas or Lux?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 10:27:50 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
Thank you, Czornyj, for the definitions.  Mahleu, thank you for the link to the converter.  Both will be helpful to me.  Mahleu, I visited your website and found it to be very creative, individual and intellectually provocative.

Thanks, glad you like it.