Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Yes, there is a Santa Clause"  (Read 5775 times)

Pete Ferling

"Yes, there is a Santa Clause"
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:43:37 pm »

Awesome news Michael about receiving the Canon 5DII for your trip, including the Nikon and the Phase One.  All those cameras to test and you only have two hands... how are you gonna eat?  

I agree, this will be a very worthy shootout, as I like your 'hands-on', users approach towards reviews (charts and specs are not the full equation).

More importantly, Merry Christmas and safe travels.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:44:12 pm by Pete Ferling »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 01:14:28 am »

Quote from: Pete Ferling
Awesome news Michael about receiving the Canon 5DII for your trip, including the Nikon and the Phase One.  All those cameras to test and you only have two hands... how are you gonna eat?  

I agree, this will be a very worthy shootout, as I like your 'hands-on', users approach towards reviews (charts and specs are not the full equation).

More importantly, Merry Christmas and safe travels.

+1......I am happy that the "D3x will be available in late January"  was worked out...When I read that , I thought,  what is Nikon thinking???

Steve

Bill in WV

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 02:00:45 am »

There's a whole new LLVJ segment here . . . Just get Chris to tape while you pack and get through security at the airports with this collection. I'd break out in hives just worrying aobut my equipment, ah but what a glorious worry to have.

Have a great holiday season and an even greater trip back to Antarctica, Michael. Have you got your patches and pills ready for the Drake passage?

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 03:28:49 am »

I can just see the new article. How to get through airport carry on rules with 3 systems. The headline, MR is caught going through security with a 100lb fake stomach filled with camera gear! Underneath the headline: And he had two cameras over his shoulder at the same time!

michael

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:40:57 am »

Thanks guys, - very funny.  

It's not as bad as all that. My friend and fellow Torontonian Nick Devlin shoots with a 5D MKII and he has "volunteered" to carry my loaner body and some of my lenses. I'll simply pop into his cabin when I need anything Canonish.

The D3x and a couple of lenses will fit in my Kiboko carry-on backpack. It just means displacing a few Sony lenses that are equivalents.

The P65+ body and lenses system is being brought by Kevin Raber from Phase One, so in fact I'll be free as a bird. Just one backpack for travel. When in Antarctica I'll simply pack my bag each day with an interesting combination of gear. What a bother, but hey – someone's gotta do it.

That problem solved, now to find time to sleep.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 07:41:50 am by michael »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 08:35:51 am »

To get through this life, a man's got to know that, in times of adversity, when the chips are down and it's all on the line, his friends will stand with him, shoulder to shoulder......in the check-in line, carrying as much state-of-the-art consumer electronic equipment as humanly possibly.

That's what friends are for.

Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

pindman

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 09:04:05 am »

Michael,

My 5D Mk II is at MaxMax right now being converted to 830nm infrared.  They think it will probably be finished in time to bring it on the Antarctica trip!

Paul

michael

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 09:40:21 am »

Paul,

That'll be fascinating.

You're hired to write an article on it.

Payment in the form of good Chilean wine at the ship's bar.

Michael

framah

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:03:35 am »

Stephen Johnson called and he was wondering if you could carry his camera system as well??    

I'm waiting for the new camera carrying bag... the Tardis bag.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 04:42:24 pm »

Have a great trip Michael! Looking forwards to seeing your images and reading your thoughts! Sleep well!

Graeme

michael

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »

Thanks Graeme,

Sleep?

That's something that one doesn't get much of in Antarctica in January, not with more than 22 hours of good shooting light.  

Michael

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 09:11:44 pm »

Good luck Michael. Remember to balance your caffeine and alcohol levels then if sleep is not available. Enjoy!

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up