Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A900 update  (Read 4194 times)

jeffok

• http://www.insightscapes.com
Sony A900 update
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:35:57 pm »

Michael, your update on the A900 is useful and insightful. However, with the introduction of the 5DII, I wonder whether the A900 really lives up to its potential.
From this update I take away the following about the A900 vs the competition:
- very good overall resolution and IQ, but
- relatively poor high ISO performance (over 400)
- no live view
- somewhat limited lens line
- inconsistent raw processing
- lower battery life

Michael you also mention that you appreciate the A900 because provides the resolution and image quality that it does without forcing one to have a very large camera body. Except that we now have the high resolution 5D Mark II that can handle a vertical grip too.
Also that he viewfinder is "the biggest and brightest that I've ever seen, and that includes the 1Ds MKIII",. Except that the 1Ds3 has a 100% field of view and a .76 magnification vs the A900's .74. The 5DII falls behind here with a 98% and .71 magnification.

Not to quibble with your conclusion as I agree the A900 is extraordinary value, but the decision that needs to be made is whether one should or should not spend an extra $1,000 for the 5DII and get a camera with better ISO range, slightly better overall IQ (in tests I have seen), vertical grip option, long life battery, live view, consistent raw processing, lighter weight and an extensive lens line. In my view, it is worth it but then I am biased I guess.

michael

Sony A900 update
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:47:16 am »

I am working on an A900 vs 5DMKII article at the moment and it should appear here within a week or so.

The equation isn't as simple as you point out.

Firstly, the Sony and the Canon are equal in noise up to about ISO 800, not 400. The Sony isn't "inconsistent" when it comes to raw processing. It's just that high ISO processing is better in some programs than in others.

The A900 has better color response and wider dynamic range (and lower noise) at low ISO. For some photographers this is a plus.

Smaller lens line – yes. But, what's there is very good and will likely meet the needs of most photographers. Also, availability of some wonderful Zeiss lenses.

The Sony does not have Live View. But it does have in-body stabilization, something that I for one find more valuable than LV.

The viewfinder should be judged by looking through it, not by reading specs. Anyone that does will clearly see that it is brighter, large and less yellow in tint.

The A900 has a grip option, something that you seem to think it doesn't. It also has higher frame rates.

The Sony does not have video capability though.

There is no simple equation. One is not better or worse than the other in overall ability or price. They are simplly different. If one has an investment in Canon glass then clearly the 5D MKII is the best choice. If not, and one is looking for a full frame 20+ Megapixel camera then both should be considered.

Cameras are personal tools and need to be handled and used, not just judged on printed specs.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:54:15 am by michael »

jeffok

• http://www.insightscapes.com
Sony A900 update
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:07:59 pm »

I would never be one to argue that based on specs alone, one camera is superior to another.
In the end, it is an artists tool and therefore a personal decision based on many intangibles as well. I was simply putting forward an argument that attempted to create discussion on the relative value of the Sony versus the Canon. I look forward to your upcoming article.

Eugen-Florin

• Eugen-Florin Zamfirescu
Sony A900 update
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:09:20 pm »

For about 20 years now I have been investing in Sony equipment. Videocameras. They were and are a joy to work with. Until, one after the other, after the other failed to wake up one morning. The sad story repeats itself over the years. They worked perfectly until you stop using them for some time. No abuse, just sudden death. I been thinking this over ond over and my only rationale of this is that Sony uses for their electrical contacts some form of inferior coating that is developing oxides from known chemical reactions with the elements from the atmospheare and  that in turn prevents low voltages to close the circuits. I have not had this with Panasonic videocameras and they have had the same share of workloads and vacations like their counterparts, the Sonys.

David Hufford

Sony A900 update
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 03:48:53 am »

Quote from: florin
For about 20 years now I have been investing in Sony equipment. Videocameras. They were and are a joy to work with. Until, one after the other, after the other failed to wake up one morning. The sad story repeats itself over the years. They worked perfectly until you stop using them for some time. No abuse, just sudden death. I been thinking this over ond over and my only rationale of this is that Sony uses for their electrical contacts some form of inferior coating that is developing oxides from known chemical reactions with the elements from the atmospheare and  that in turn prevents low voltages to close the circuits. I have not had this with Panasonic videocameras and they have had the same share of workloads and vacations like their counterparts, the Sonys.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing has also been common in my Sony product experience too. In Japan there is a sort of joke about a "Sony timer." The Sony product will fail just as soon as the warranty expires, thus SONY Timer.

I am very interested in Sony as I may be convinced to move to a SONY dSLR with my next body.  I will have to buy mostly new FF lenses  and it will be easier to switch brands. Still, as silly as it may seem,  I'll wait to see about the longevity of their cameras before I take the chance.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Sony A900 update
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 10:25:42 am »

I started with Sony products with the DSC 700 almost 10 years ago which acts as a paperweight on my office desk. I started it up just to disprove your comment. Having moved through the A100 to an A700 and now the A900, I see no evidence of the problem you describe with the DSLR range. Perhaps it's because of the Minolta quality that was inherited with the aquisition of K-M but I have not heard of a similar problem on any of the blogs. For certain the video and still cameras are not made at the same sites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up