Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mic set up  (Read 3591 times)

cody-otwitw

mic set up
« on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:58 pm »

Ok I just got a Cannon GL2.  I just thought I could get your opinion on mics.  What would be the best set up for good audio for outdoor filming.  If you can please include model and name of products, ( XLR adaptor, shotgun mic... ).  Thank you.

[attachment=10479:l_c03b3c...0b7d9167.jpg]

Mike Boden

• http://www.mikeboden.com
mic set up
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:41 pm »

Quote from: cody-otwitw
Ok I just got a Cannon GL2.  I just thought I could get your opinion on mics.  What would be the best set up for good audio for outdoor filming.  If you can please include model and name of products, ( XLR adaptor, shotgun mic... ).  Thank you.

[attachment=10479:l_c03b3c...0b7d9167.jpg]

That is a very broad topic that isn't easily answered. To begin with, the particular camera you have has a built in microphone. I suggest that you start using that. Otherwise, you need to do a lot more research, starting with the following website: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/location_sound.html

The truth is, you generally select the type of microphone based on what subject you are filming. If it's an interview setup with a host and person being interviewed, a hand-held mic might work just fine. Otherwise, lavalier mics are another option. Beyond that, if the actors are moving and/or a distance from the camera, then a shotgun mic might be the best choice.

Next, you'll most likely need an adapter from the mic cable connector to the camera "Mic" input connector. This will use the built-in pre-amp of the camera. However, these pre-amps are most likely not of very high quality. Therefore, you may consider using a separate pre-amp. This will then require you to use the "Line" input of the camera instead. Furthermore, if this is the case, then you might also need an external mixer to more accurately adjust the levels going to the camera.

As you can see, it's not an easy answer.
Mike Boden - www.mikeboden.com
Instagram
Pages: [1]   Go Up