Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC LCD2690WUXI2  (Read 43799 times)

dmerger

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 07:52:44 pm »

Nill, when I used a LaCie Electron Blue IV, I set my luminance to 80 cd/m², which gave me the best match with my prints when viewed using 50 watt Solux 4700K bulbs at a reasonable distance.  

My LaCie died and I plan to replace it with an NEC LCD2690WUXI2, but I don't have one, yet, so I can't comment on it.
Dean Erger

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 09:32:17 am »

Quote from: dmerger
Nill, when I used a LaCie Electron Blue IV, I set my luminance to 80 cd/m², which gave me the best match with my prints when viewed using 50 watt Solux 4700K bulbs at a reasonable distance.

So had you move the light closer, the match would not be produced until you upped your display luminance.

There's no right answer here expect the one that produces a match however, we DO need to look at what target calibration aim points our displays can hit natively. We also need to look at the ambient light (either from just the viewing booth or in combo with other lighting). IF you MUST set the display luminance to something really low for an LCD (80, even 90cd/m2), the ambient light has to be that much lower (according to old ISO spec, 16-25 lux). That's not easy and in some cases desirable but for some doable. If your ambient light is above 25 lux but you're calibrating at 80cd/m2, that's a problem. But if the ambient light itself doesn't change but you raise the display luminance (and to an appropriate level the print luminance) no worries.

There's NO reason why you have to keep a really low print and display luminance to get a match, that's the point. You have to look at the entire environment. Can you control the ambient light to a very low level? Can you use the Solux bulbs at the distance you desire and get the appropriate print luminance you can now "match" by altering the display luminance? Can you get the display to such a low level (is it ideal or does it cause issues with other areas in the calibration and profile process)?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

new_haven

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »

Quote from: WillH
The -SV versions of the LCD2690WUXi2 and LCD3090WQXi will be announced at MacWorld in January and will ship in the middle of January. Pricing will be just slightly higher for the LCD2690WUXi2 than for the LCD2690WUXi because of the new sensor that it will ship with. The press release at MacWorld will include all of the pricing info and details.

Does this mean that there is a new version of the i1 display 2 puck included with the lcd2690wuxi2-sv? But, the currently available xrite i1 display 2 is still compatible with the latest version of the spectraview software and the lcd2690wuxi2?

walter.sk

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 02:36:19 pm »

Quote from: new_haven
Does this mean that there is a new version of the i1 display 2 puck included with the lcd2690wuxi2-sv? But, the currently available xrite i1 display 2 is still compatible with the latest version of the spectraview software and the lcd2690wuxi2?

The new kits include th i1 Display 2 WG, which I assume stands for wide gamut.  I am still using the original i1 Display 2, which came with my Z3100ps printer, with the new SpectraViewII software..  The new SpectraView software has 3 options for dealing with the primaries:  Factory Settings for non wide-gamut colorimeters, Colorimeter for the wide gamut models, and Auto, which makes the decision for you.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:39:42 pm by walter.sk »

new_haven

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:00 pm »

Ok, thanks Walter. I guess there must be some advantage in using the new wide gamut puck, but it's good to know the i1 display 2 is compatible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:32:21 pm by new_haven »

prairiemaiden

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 06:56:54 pm »

I bought the NEC 2690WUXi with spectraview from B&H.  The software that came with the gretagmacbeth puc was spectraview II.  There is a newer version on line dated January which is compatible with both the 2690WUXi and the 2690WUXi2.  Here is the link and information on compatible pucks and graphics cards.
 http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Mo...s/spectraview2/

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 08:00:30 pm »

Quote from: prairiemaiden
I bought the NEC 2690WUXi with spectraview from B&H.  The software that came with the gretagmacbeth puc was spectraview II.  There is a newer version on line dated January which is compatible with both the 2690WUXi and the 2690WUXi2.  Here is the link and information on compatible pucks and graphics cards.

Just be aware that there are issues using the 2690 WUXi with BOTH PPC and 'some' Intel Mac Pros with Mac OSX 10.5.6

See this thread. LL Thread
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dmerger

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »

I bought the NEC 2690WUXi with spectraview from B&H. The software that came with the gretagmacbeth puc was spectraview II. There is a newer version on line dated January which is compatible with both the 2690WUXi and the 2690WUXi2. Here is the link and information on compatible pucks and graphics cards.
That link shows two versions of the SpectraView Kit, SVII-KIT and SVII-PRO-KIT, and both contain a link for more information.  Both links send you to the same place, which doesn't show two versions.  So, what's the difference in the two kits?  If there is a difference,  and I buy the LCD2690W2-BK-SV, which version do I get?  

I've been considering purchasing an NEC LCD2690 for some time.  It seems to me, however, that trying to decipher the information on the NEC web site is almost impossible.  The confusion noted above is just my most recent example.  Fortunately, Will Hollingworth has been very helpful in clarifying many questions about NRC displays, and I hope he will do so once again.

Dean
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:49:32 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

prairiemaiden

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 01:02:47 pm »

I received the spectraview II software which I updated to the newer version and the gretagmacbeth color puck.
Here is your monitor link
link for Nec 2690WUXi2 with SV

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 01:23:05 pm »

Here are the answers in the form of a FAQ that we will be posting online soon:

Q. What is the difference between the color sensor used in the SVII-KIT and the new SVII-PRO-KIT?

A. The new SVII-PRO-KIT includes an NEC branded X-Rite iOne Display V2 color sensor that is custom calibrated for increased measurement accuracy with our wide color gamut displays such as the LCD2690WUXi, LCD2690WUXi2, LCD3090WQXi, and P221W. It is backward compatible with standard color gamut displays. The SVII-KIT included an NEC branded X-Rite iOne Display V2 but did not have any custom calibration.

Q. I already purchased a copy of SpectraView and would like to upgrade my color sensor to the new custom calibrated NEC branded X-Rite iOne Display V2. Is it possible to purchase just the sensor?

A. Yes. The part number for the sensor alone is MDSVSENSOR2 and it is available for purchase directly from NEC (www.necdisplay.com ->"buy now" -> "accessories").

Q. Are there any technical differences with the display monitor between purchasing the full "-SV" bundle, and separately purchasing the display monitor and SVII-PRO-KIT?

A. No. In the US and Canada the display monitor in the "-SV" bundle is exactly the same as if the display monitor was purchased separately. Purchasing the "-SV" bundle is usually slightly cheaper than buying separately.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

prairiemaiden

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 01:54:08 pm »

Now I'm confused which one do I have? (Nec 2690 WUXi SV)   Oh yes, and many thanks for taking the time to set the whole spectraview issue straight.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:43:52 pm by prairiemaiden »

dmerger

NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 03:06:41 pm »

Thanks, Will.  Once again, you were very helpful in answering technical questions about the NEC displays.

I now plan to purchase the LCD2690W2-BK-SV, and sell my current iOne Display 2.  I'll likely list it for sale on this forum first.  If anyone is interested, it's in like new condition, including the box and everything that came with it new.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:07:09 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
NEC LCD2690WUXI2
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »

SVII-PRO-KIT availability?

It is coming up as Out of Stock on the NEC website (I realise they don't ship outside the US but a friend will purchase it then send it to me). Any other places it can be purchased from?

My 2690WUXi2 just arrived! :-)

In the meantime am I best to set it to AdobeRGB or calibrate it with my eye1 display2?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up