Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antarctic Workflow Question  (Read 9950 times)

neal1740

Antarctic Workflow Question
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 12:16:38 pm »

i wish to thank everyone for the great help  DavidB IS THE 40D a backup or for use with the 100- 400 ps on our trip to Rwanda they never weighed any luggage but the overheads as we all know are getiing smaller neal1740

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 01:08:21 pm »

Hi Eric, I carry EVERYTHING photographic...camera gear, all supporting electronics, Colorspace,  laptop, etc. in my Think Tank International.  If something won't fit I don't take it.  If my checked  luggage gets diverted I will still have everything I need to function photographically. (Small Tripod is only thing that goes in checked luggage.  )  I don't trust any other way. Eleanor

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

A suggestion may be that you could possibly ship some equipment with DHL. I'm not travelling that much with equipment, but I had my carry on weight checked just once.

Erik
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

neal1740

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 03:14:34 pm »

i wish to thank all of you  for the great answers DavidB will you use the 40D as a backup or as the camera for the 100-400 thanks neal1740

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 04:07:16 pm »

Hi,

I see your point. The weight limit may be a problem, at least for me, but I think it's very seldom they actually enforce it. It happened to me once on a Virgin flight but at that time I was forced to check all my camera gear.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: eleanorbrown
Hi Eric, I carry EVERYTHING photographic...camera gear, all supporting electronics, Colorspace,  laptop, etc. in my Think Tank International.  If something won't fit I don't take it.  If my checked  luggage gets diverted I will still have everything I need to function photographically. (Small Tripod is only thing that goes in checked luggage.  )  I don't trust any other way. Eleanor
Erik Kaffehr

eleanorbrown

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 04:21:05 pm »

Eric, Last summer flying to western Alaska on a small Alaska Airlines plane I was forced to put the Think Tank carry on in the plane baggage hold and winced  as I watched  the baggage people unloaded the plane and throw all my camera gear down from the plane onto  the luggage cart.   Didn't loose anything fortunately. In that case, size, not weight was the problem .....Eleanor

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I see your point. The weight limit may be a problem, at least for me, but I think it's very seldom they actually enforce it. It happened to me once on a Virgin flight but at that time I was forced to check all my camera gear.

Best regards
Erik
Eleanor Brown

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 04:38:09 pm »

I hope that you have seen these videos:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalb...es/Extreme.aspx

So you can feel reassured that your P45 will not fail.

Oh, by the way, I wish you a good, safe and successful journey to the Antarctica.

Erik

Eric, Last summer flying to western Alaska on a small Alaska Airlines plane I was forced to put the Think Tank carry on in the plane baggage hold and winced  as I watched  the baggage people unloaded the plane and throw all my camera gear down from the plane onto  the luggage cart.   Didn't loose anything fortunately. In that case, size, not weight was the problem .....Eleanor
Erik Kaffehr

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 04:52:59 pm »

Quote from: neal1740
DavidB will you use the 40D as a backup or as the camera for the 100-400
Both of course!

Mac Book Air is great to travel with if you are a Mac person.
Ugh!  One USB port would be painful.  I have Firewire/USB drives, as well as USB-only drives with card readers (e.g. Nexto ND2700).  In order to make backups it really helps if I can have them all plugged in at once, and the speed of USB is pitiful compared to Firewire.  Thus the MacBook Air (with one USB) and the unibody MacBook (with two USB) are really handicapped against the plastic-body MacBooks and the MacBook Pros which have Firewire and two USBs.

As for tripod, I'm actually taking a big Gitzo CF (in checked luggage of course).  Like I said I'm doing another fortnight of non-Antarctic work on the same trip: being limited by a tiny tripod for that would be painful.
Between my travelling companion and myself we're taking in carry-on: MacBook Pro and MacBook, 5DmkII, 40D, G9, LX1, 400D/IR, 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50, 85, 580EX, audio recorder, flash cards, about a terabyte of hard disks, along with medicines, iPods, etc.  That's all carry-on, in a Crumpler backpack and a normal roller with customised internals.  Tripods, clothes, and all the other camera gear goes into roller duffles for check-in.

For years my travel routine has been similar to Michaels: have carry-on bags that fit the size limits of all the airlines you'll be travelling on, and wear clothes with lots of pockets to transfer lenses/etc to temporarily if there are weight issues.  Never had a problem yet.  Actually, having something like a Domke vest helps streamline going through security scans: easy to take off and put through the scanner, and if you've moved all your keys/etc to it then you don't need to check all your pockets at each checkpoint.  And travelling with a partner helps at the checkpoints too: send one person through first and have them collect the bags/etc on the other side in case the other person is delayed in the queue.

eleanorbrown

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 05:06:38 pm »

Agree about one usb port....it's unacceptable.  I bought a tiny portable (very tiny) usb terminal with 4 ports (Belkin I think) (does need to be plugged in to work however).  I can deal with the Macbook Air small hard drive and not so fast processor because of the weight and space it sames me but one usb port is ridiculous...thus my addition of the small 4 port portable usb terminal. eleanor

[quote name='DavidB' date='Dec 28 2008, 09:52 PM' post='247564']
Both of course!

Ugh!  One USB port would be painful.  I have Firewire/USB drives, as well as USB-only drives with card readers (e.g. Nexto ND2700).  In order to make backups it really helps if I can have them all plugged in at once, and the speed of USB is pitiful compared to Firewire.  Thus the MacBook Air (with one USB) and the unibody MacBook (with two USB) are really handicapped against the plastic-body MacBooks and the MacBook Pros which have Firewire and two USBs.

Eleanor Brown

neal1740

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 06:04:37 pm »

hi all thank you for the great information when i came to traveling with the same equipment to Rwanda they never weighed any thing but the over head compartments are smaller or our equipment is larger  michael would you bring all full frame bodies thanks again neal1740
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up