Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Configurator a tool or just a gimic?  (Read 1277 times)

sniper

Configurator a tool or just a gimic?
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:44:24 am »

I'm wondering if Configurator is a really usefull tool or jus a gimic, I can see some limited advantages to having all the tools one uses for a specific job in one place, but less able to see the usefullness of sharing them.
What are your views??  Wayne

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Configurator a tool or just a gimic?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:08:52 am »

I'm all about standardizing your workflow, and streamlining it. The example I always use is the darkroom...  imagine yourself in front of your favorite enlarger. Close your eyes, reach for your paper.  Now reach for your coffee.  (I did that in a talk for about 150 people once, and saw them all, simultaneously reaching for their imaginary coffees...  too funny!)

So Configurator, to me, seems like much more than a gimmick, and the sharing thing is great if you have more than one workstation you use, or travel from one to another, as I do when teaching, students do when talking classes, and production assistants do when freelancing...  Just saving the Workspace is great, the Configurator thing takes it to another level.  

There's one other place I've seen uses for stuff like this, when you have an agency or studio with multiple workstations where you want everybody working in a standardized way...  you propagate standardized tool sets and settings throughout the network.
Ted Dillard
Pages: [1]   Go Up