Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Coating Machines...anyone?  (Read 5431 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Canvas Coating Machines...anyone?
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:26:26 pm »

Anybody using an automated canvas coating machine?  Maybe something with rollers that makes the job easy and clean.   What's your opinion of it?  

Not interested in lamination, I greatly prefer the look I'm now getting from Clearshield.  But the whole coating process is now the most cumbersome step in my current workflow from printer to display.

Just the floor space occupied by my 2x4 + plastic sheet painting booth is costing me a couple thousand bucks a year.  Wonder if some sort of coating machine would be worth it in terms of reduced floor space, less hassle, no paint dust, etc.

Ernst Dinkla

Canvas Coating Machines...anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:36 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Anybody using an automated canvas coating machine?  Maybe something with rollers that makes the job easy and clean.   What's your opinion of it?  

Not interested in lamination, I greatly prefer the look I'm now getting from Clearshield.  But the whole coating process is now the most cumbersome step in my current workflow from printer to display.

Just the floor space occupied by my 2x4 + plastic sheet painting booth is costing me a couple thousand bucks a year.  Wonder if some sort of coating machine would be worth it in terms of reduced floor space, less hassle, no paint dust, etc.

There have been enough messages on manual, semi-auto, varnish coaters that showed to give more xxx* than spraying or rolling varnish on canvas. Cleaning them, intermittent use, loss of varnish that accumulates fibers etc. Large automatic UV curing coaters with enough production volume to pay for them will be the exception. I prefer to spray the canvas in 2 to 3 layers in a booth (3x7' floor apace) and dry the successive layers in a silkscreen dryer that happens to be here. But the last occupies a space of 23 x 5'. I never asked myself what that space costs but I'm sure it earns me more than what I could get in rent from 13 square meter. It is still used for silkscreen printing though.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Pages: [1]   Go Up