Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adjustment backups?  (Read 2534 times)

marc

adjustment backups?
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:42:45 pm »

I'm wondering where the adjustments are saved to, is it the catalog file itself or some other place? I've only been backing up the catalog file, so if the adjustments to raw files are saved somewhere else I'd like to have those backed up as well..

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
adjustment backups?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:30:01 pm »

Marc

I think you will find that the adjustments are all stored in LRcat file.  The previews, which you do not need to back up are in the another file. And of course you have your original picture files themselves, which are completely separate again.  As I found to my relief recently, it is very important to back up the LRcat file, because if you lose the original one, all of your pictures are just back to their original state again!

Jim

madmanchan

• Web
adjustment backups?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:48:36 pm »

As Jim said, all the adjustments are in the .lrcat file.

In my opinion, the things to backup when using a Lightroom workflow are (in order from highest priority to lowest priority):

1. Original raw files.
2. Lightroom catalog (.lrcat file).
3. Preview file (.lrdata file) and other LR settings.

Explanation:

If you lose #1 then you're stuck. Doesn't matter if you have everything else if you don't have the image.

If you lose #2, then it's a major bummer since you've lost all your work, but at least you still have the raw files and hence could reprocess your images if you had the time.

If you lose #3 (previews) then you can simply regenerate them automatically with LR. That'll slow you down a bit initially, but it's painless since you can do other productive stuff while waiting for the preview to rebuild. If you lose your settings (e.g., your presets) that's a pain but at least you didn't lose your image data.

As a side note, the built-in LR backup system will likely be improved in the future so the photographer doesn't have to keep all these distinctions in mind all the time.
Eric Chan

marc

adjustment backups?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:15:37 pm »

Thanks guys, I got the important stuff backed up then! I'm pretty impressed with the small size of the catalog file considering all the adjustments that are saved in it. I'm saving so much space compared to when I had to save each edited image as a .psd file.

Kuryan Thomas

adjustment backups?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:54:31 pm »

Adjustments are also saved as XMP into the files if you choose to Save Metadata. That way, the adjustments are carried inside the file itself and will survive the loss of the catalog. I'm not sure if the entire history is saved, but the current settings definitely are. I've looked into the XMP sidecars and verified that even brushstrokes are stored.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
adjustment backups?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 08:25:40 pm »

Quote from: Kuryan Thomas
Adjustments are also saved as XMP into the files if you choose to Save Metadata. That way, the adjustments are carried inside the file itself and will survive the loss of the catalog. I'm not sure if the entire history is saved, but the current settings definitely are. I've looked into the XMP sidecars and verified that even brushstrokes are stored.
Of course if you adopt a DNG workflow not only are the adjustments stored within the single file but the embedded preview fully reflects these adjustments. This is useful if you ever use RAW files in other apps like Photo Mechanic or other browser/cataloging apps so the generated thumbs will look like the files are supposed to.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica
Pages: [1]   Go Up