Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic Catalog  (Read 2734 times)

jacunivac

Photographic Catalog
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:39:25 am »

A few years ago my father passed away. He was the last of three brothers and a sister. We had a family reunion of sorts and all the cousins brought their pictures. The pictures came in all sizes. Some professionally done, some not. Most black and white and at least 30% old polaroids. This was an incredible hodge-podge of photographs. I have spent the last three years restoring and resizing almost 600 photographs.  Many of my cousins are sure they will never see their treasured photos again but I have kept them stored under better conditions than they were.

It is now time to put all these high resolution jpegs into a format where they can print or just view them. Everyone has a computer, some better than others, and a combination of Macs and PCs. I don't want to make a huge slideshow with transitions and music but would like some cross-platform way of displaying the pictures that we can all open, view and print from.

If any one has any ideas, suggestions or recommendations I would appreciate it very much. It's the holiday season and I am hoping to send everybody their pictures back and either a few CDs or a DVD with everyone's pictures on them.

Many thanks,

Jack

DarkPenguin

Photographic Catalog
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:59:13 pm »

You could try something like flickr.  I believe flickr hooks up to some print shop or another.

Would also allow people to comment on the photos which might attach some additional history to the photos.

Anywho, just a thought.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Photographic Catalog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:43:38 pm »

Quote from: jacunivac
If any one has any ideas, suggestions or recommendations I would appreciate it very much. It's the holiday season and I am hoping to send everybody their pictures back and either a few CDs or a DVD with everyone's pictures on them.
I'm doing the same thing and am providing three solutions:
  • The photos with the most importance regarding our family (e.g., shots from the late 1800's) are getting printed on archival paper and photo albums are being made. I tell my relatives if they want a copy to send me money (the paper and folio add up to about US$100). So far I've made four of 'em.
  • An online gallery. To keep things private I use a password-protected directory on my website. My web host uses Unix OS, so I installed the PHP script CopperMine Photo Gallery which handles all the file organization, down-sampling and comment listing. It's great because distant family members can log on, browse, make comments and it brings us together in a digital way.
  • I made an HTML gallery and saved that to a DVD. Copies of this master disk were sent to those people who wanted to make their own prints, play with the images, make their own galleries, screen savers, etc. The gallery was made using a modified script from iView Media Pro (although Adobe Bridge now has some nice scripts). All the images are JPEGs, no TIFF or PSD file formats. I used high resolution JPEGs, and the gallery script down-rezzed the images for use with a browser, with the original JPEGs on the DVD.
To get family members interested, I sent out emails to those plugged in and letters to those who aren't, with a sample photo telling them about the website and available DVD. I told them to pass on the info to other relatives, and so far it's worked out well.

~ CB

jacunivac

Photographic Catalog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:37:02 am »

Chris,

I took your suggestion. I made contact sheets with CS3. Saved them as PDFs. Put all the restored original photos on a CD as high resolution jpegs along with the contact sheets. I then put all the photos at 72 dpi on Flickr and emailed out a Holiday greeting and instructions on how to view the files. Now everyone will be able to view and comment as well as put some names to some very old family pics.

Thanks, for your suggestion and Happy Holidays.

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up