Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phatte Black Question  (Read 2489 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Phatte Black Question
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:20:31 am »

I would appreciate any feedback from Epson users of the Imageprint 7.0 rip and Phatte Black.  

Most of my interest is on the matte performance on canvas.  I don't see a 9900 in my future and the black switches on my 9880 add up in a hurry.  

I have read some of the early 2004 and 5 reviews of this system, but not much seems to have been written after that.  I guess some of that is do to the
arrival of the 11880.  

I briefly tried the Atkinson profiles for the PK inkset on Matte Canvas, but I feel that after printing several examples PK and MK the MK show considerably more d-max especially
after coating.  

The Phatte black system from what I have read is an interesting approach, but still requires the purchase of the Imageprint RIP.  However that is considerably less than a new 9900 and
all new ink carts.  

Thank you
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Phatte Black Question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:21:12 pm »

Hi Paul, I used Phatte Black profiles on my 7800 for a while and it was very convenient.  The folks at Colorbyte have done a surperb job with the profiles.  I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the MK and PK and Phatte black profiles on the print.  Prints on matte media are excellent all the way around.  However what you will see with the Phatte black photo black profiles is bronzing because you're using one less shade of gray.  Because of the bronzing issues I eventually went back to the PK profiles and dedicating that printer to PK papers only.  Eleanor

Quote from: Paul2660
I would appreciate any feedback from Epson users of the Imageprint 7.0 rip and Phatte Black.  

Most of my interest is on the matte performance on canvas.  I don't see a 9900 in my future and the black switches on my 9880 add up in a hurry.  

I have read some of the early 2004 and 5 reviews of this system, but not much seems to have been written after that.  I guess some of that is do to the
arrival of the 11880.  

I briefly tried the Atkinson profiles for the PK inkset on Matte Canvas, but I feel that after printing several examples PK and MK the MK show considerably more d-max especially
after coating.  

The Phatte black system from what I have read is an interesting approach, but still requires the purchase of the Imageprint RIP.  However that is considerably less than a new 9900 and
all new ink carts.  

Thank you
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Phatte Black Question
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »

Hello Eleanor,

Thanks for the info.  Did you see the Bronzing with color prints or with Black and White or both.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

eleanorbrown

Phatte Black Question
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:00:51 pm »

Paul, personally I saw it with both but mostly from black and white.  However I felt that, for me, the bronzing with color was more than I was willing to tolerate.  However with this said, in fairness, I seem to remember Michael R commenting that to his eye, he didn't see any bronzing (look up his review on Phatte black).  Just another opinion.  I had a big printing job come up and I felt the client would be unhappy with the color on my then paper of choice, Museo Silver Rag,  using the DK Phatte profiles, so that is when I made the final decision to stop using the Phatte black profiles.  it's a matter of degree and depends on what you find acceptable.  With the newer papers such as Harman Gloss FB AI the Phatte profiles might do OK for you.  Eleanor

Hello Eleanor,

Thanks for the info.  Did you see the Bronzing with color prints or with Black and White or both.

Paul Caldwell
Eleanor Brown

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Phatte Black Question
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:51:58 pm »

Thanks Eleanor,

I was hoping that with version 7.0 that maybe imageprint had possibly improved their profiles.  

Unfortunately every time I search Phatte black, I seem to come up with bronzing.  Some seem to be able to live with it,
others spray.  I can see spraying a Semi-gloss or Luster finish, but so far I have never been able to spray a pure glossy
paper like Epson Premium glossy paper.

Let me also ask, do you feel that bronzing and gloss differential are the same effect?  When I hold my Luster prints made with
my 9880 (without phatte black) to the side most times I see what I call gloss differential, a sort of multi colored effect.  This can be lessened to a big degree by the
use of Print Shield Spray on a Luster print.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

eleanorbrown

Phatte Black Question
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:11:07 pm »

Paul first I have a 9880 too and I really don't see any bronzing with that printer using PK profiles.  Depending on the paper, I do see some gloss differential which is just absence of any ink or a very light coat of ink next to darker ink lay down.   I'm sure the "techies" could give you a better definition but you get the idea....... the Harman gloss has the lease amount of gloss differential to the point where it isn't an issue at all for me. also true with the epson exhibition fiber. With other papers there is still some GD if you look closely.  I see bronzing on the printers that don't have the third black...the LLB.  That comes across to me as bronze glare and is different from gloss differential.   yes you can lessen both these issues using the print shield.  I always have some on hand.  when I was using the phatte black profiles I was getting tired of spraying all my prints and breathing in all the fumes on a regular basis. eleanor

Thanks Eleanor,

I was hoping that with version 7.0 that maybe imageprint had possibly improved their profiles.  

Unfortunately every time I search Phatte black, I seem to come up with bronzing.  Some seem to be able to live with it,
others spray.  I can see spraying a Semi-gloss or Luster finish, but so far I have never been able to spray a pure glossy
paper like Epson Premium glossy paper.

Let me also ask, do you feel that bronzing and gloss differential are the same effect?  When I hold my Luster prints made with
my 9880 (without phatte black) to the side most times I see what I call gloss differential, a sort of multi colored effect.  This can be lessened to a big degree by the
use of Print Shield Spray on a Luster print.  

Paul Caldwell
Eleanor Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up