Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad V: the holy trinity  (Read 2668 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Hasselblad V: the holy trinity
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:16:36 am »

What would you consider to be the 3 must-have lenses for Fashion/Beauty for the Hasselblad V series?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:46:55 am »

I use a 40, 80 and 150 which covers me for everything.

David Klepacki

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:16:15 pm »

For me, the best beauty/portrait lenses in the Hasselblad V lineup are the FE lenses:  50/2.8, 110/2, and 300/2.8.  If I had to pick three, these would be it.

In addition to the incredible bokeh that these lenses can produce wide open, the aperture blades of the FE lenses were "rounded" up to  F5.6 in order to give more pleasing bokeh when stopped down a little.  The 300/2.8 was built with more aperture blades than any of the other Hasselblad lenses, so the roundness is a little better.  The Hasselblad lenses with leaf shutter (CF/CFi/CFE) give a much harsher bokeh when stopped down.   If I had to pick three lenses with a leaf shutter, then I would probably choose the CFi ones:  60, 100, and 150.  These have the least distortion (not to mention the lightest weight).  If you don't mind adding a little distortion, then the 180 is also very good, especially shot wide open, and you can consider this instead of the 150.   (Sometimes the 120 is preferred over the 100 by many portrait photographers as well.)  The CFi lenses do not have electronic contacts.  So, if you need leaf shutter and electronic contacts (CFE), then a three lens choice could be 40, 80, 120.  If you need more reach, then just add/substitute the 180.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:42:23 pm by David Klepacki »
Pages: [1]   Go Up