Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hollywood @ Highland  (Read 1635 times)

dalethorn

Hollywood @ Highland
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:30:37 pm »

Near sunset, light dim, LX3 struggling with this. Still a fair amount of detail despite color fringing.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Hollywood @ Highland
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:17:56 am »

I've been there!  You should have shot a panorama!  

Nice sky and overall mood in spite of technical issues.  This would be good candidate for HDR or fusion, or at least separately exposed sky and ground areas.  Sometimes just shooting about 8 frames at the same exposure and averaging them together with PS or Image Stacker can produce a surprisingly clean image in these circumstances, one that will withstand a lot of post work.  At any rate it would help a lot to rubber stamp over some of those jpeg artifacts in the clouds using adjacent clean areas.

dalethorn

Hollywood @ Highland
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:19:58 am »

Quote from: bill t.
I've been there!  You should have shot a panorama!  

Nice sky and overall mood in spite of technical issues.  This would be good candidate for HDR or fusion, or at least separately exposed sky and ground areas.  Sometimes just shooting about 8 frames at the same exposure and averaging them together with PS or Image Stacker can produce a surprisingly clean image in these circumstances, one that will withstand a lot of post work.  At any rate it would help a lot to rubber stamp over some of those jpeg artifacts in the clouds using adjacent clean areas.
Thanks for the comments. This series was not well planned, and I didn't expect to get these views. If I had thought more about this possibility, I could have taken different exposures and gotten some that weren't washed out like this. L.A. is tricky because of smog etc. when shooting distant objects, so opportunities are spotty. One thing I have yet to do is get some video from Baxter and Fargo streets, since small-camera stills don't convey the depth of those 25(!) percent grades.
Pages: [1]   Go Up