Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperspace Colorspace UDMA  (Read 6384 times)

01af

Hyperspace Colorspace UDMA
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:57:07 am »

Nick Devlin writes he got approx. 1.5 GB per minute off a SanDisk Extreme IV card while Sanho claims 2 GB per minute with fast UDMA cards (which the Extreme IV certainly is).

When comparing claimed vs. real-world transfer rates, please note that manufacturers of memory cards, hard-disk drives, and image tanks usually think of kilo-, mega-, and gigabytes in terms of potencies of 1,000 while computer operating systems and their file browsers calculate on the basis of 1,024. Based on 1,000, one gigabyte is 1,000^3, or 10^9 bytes. Based on 1,024, one gigabyte is 1,024^3, or 2^30 bytes (according to the IEC, the latter is also called gibibyte, or GiB for short ... there also are kibibytes KiB = 2^10 = 1,024 bytes, mebibytes MiB = 2^20 = 1,048,576 bytes, and tebibytes TiB = 2^40 = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes).

So if Sanho claims 2 GB (2,000,000,000 bytes) per minute then that really is 1.86 GiB per minute in your operating system's terms. If Nick also thought in GiB (and, by the way, 1.5 GiB = 1.61 GB) then the gap between claimed vs. real transfer rates is even less than it seemed at first sight.

-- Olaf
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:03:31 am by 01af »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 12:41:12 pm »

Hey Olaf,

I read Hyperdrive as saying a 2GB card will copy in 1 minute. I derived my numbers from the stats which the unit very candidly displays during the download process. The UDMA card was not appreciably faster than the non-UDMA card, but both were pretty damn quick.

There's a firmware update online as of the other day which may change it up.  Equally, my test involved data load to the card through a USB 2 card reader (I had the card for a short time and no inclination to take 200 pictures of my office wall), so that may have had something to do with it.

I'll be interested to know if people start getting transfer rates closer to 40mb/s

Cheers,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:54:35 pm »

Yes the card reader has a lot to do with it.  My previous "High Speed USB 2.0" reader would download a full 8GB ExtremeIII card in 20 to 25 minutes.  Sandisk's dedicated "for ExtremeIII" USB reader will do it in less than 6 minutes, a sustained rate of about 1.4GB/MIN which is close to the manufacturer's claim of 30MB/SEC.  That's about 800 compressed D2X raw files, Vista64.  For whatever reason the "Extreme III" USB reader will not read older USB cards.

wtlloyd

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:06 pm »

There should be a clearly measurable difference when copying different file sizes. Larger files should move faster. I get 1GB/34 seconds with Sandisk Extreme IV cards, before data verification kicks in....These are RAW files from a 1D3. A 1Ds3 file should transfer even faster, up to the limits of the format....

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 02:55:07 pm »

Speaking of transfer speed, what is the battery life of this neat little thing, in GB? Ie, how many GB of datacan you transfer to the unit on a single charge, of course without any chimping or ther use?

And by the way, how does it compare with the current avatars of the NexToDI storage disks?

Thanks for your review Nick!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

wtlloyd

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:54:04 pm »

It's rated for 250GB of transfer on a battery charge. This may not include HD file verification, which so far looks to double the transfer time. This is likely also with thumbnail review (while downloading) turned off. There are only 3 settings available to vary the backlight brightness, by the way. Full on seems to be the best when viewing pictures, regardless of ambient light.

Quote from: NikoJorj
Speaking of transfer speed, what is the battery life of this neat little thing, in GB? Ie, how many GB of datacan you transfer to the unit on a single charge, of course without any chimping or ther use?

And by the way, how does it compare with the current avatars of the NexToDI storage disks?

Thanks for your review Nick!
Pages: [1]   Go Up