Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Truce  (Read 2563 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Christmas Truce
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:47:09 am »

Hi Folks: I can think of several celebrations that occur this time of year - Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Saturnalia and Kwanzaa, for example - Ramadan/ Eid ul-Fitr/ Shawwal work on a different, lunar calendar, and so may take place at any time of the year.  There are a lot of stories about Christmas, but this, a true story, is one of my favourites.  In 1914, during WW I, in several places mostly along the Western Front, Christmas Eve was celebrated by both German and Allied troops together - sharing what food and drink they had, playing football/ soccer, singing carols, showing family pictures, and burying their dead.  In some cases this unofficial armistice went on for several days, and was repeated on several occasions in later years.  One writeup about this may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce.

No matter what you celebrate this time of year, our wish is that this holiday season grant you peace and joy, and that the new year brings you great adventures, wonderful memories, and as much health, happiness and prosperity as you can handle!

Marcia & Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dalethorn

Christmas Truce
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:25 am »

A good lesson here for photography, especially for corporations, their employees, and customers.  It's good if every now and then we all stop and have a look around and see if there's a better way, instead of just running ahead with the corporate plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up