Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon X shipping  (Read 2064 times)

ternst

Nikon X shipping
« on: December 18, 2008, 05:29:27 pm »

I realize most of you who preordered this camera may have cancelled your order, but for the rest, D3xs started shipping today in the US and will be delivered to at least one dealer tomorrow. I suspect there will be lots of x's delivered elsewhere as well. That's 19 days from announcement to delivery - pretty good way to do business if you ask me...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon X shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:34 pm »

Quote from: ternst
I realize most of you who preordered this camera may have cancelled your order, but for the rest, D3xs started shipping today in the US and will be delivered to at least one dealer tomorrow. I suspect there will be lots of x's delivered elsewhere as well. That's 19 days from announcement to delivery - pretty good way to do business if you ask me...

Actually, this is only normal IMHO. They have been doing that with the latest 3 releases (D700, D90 and now D3x).

Nikon is going in the right direction and is now a bit better than the other players who are all simply doing a pathetic job with their releases. To my eyes, a product should be available for purchase the day when it is announced.

In the computer world, there is name for what most camera makers do: it is called "paper launch", this relates to another concept called "vapourware".

Canon is not as bad as Seagate, but they are in the same ballpark. What sense does it make to release the 5DII 3 years after the 5D (a very long time nowadays), and then to make potential buyers wait 3 months until availability?

Cheers,
Bernard

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Nikon X shipping
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:38:22 am »

To my eyes, a product should be available for purchase the day when it is announced.

Yes.  There's a saying in business - "Better never than late."  Always deliver SOMETHING to the client, on time.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up