Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 can it print sheets??  (Read 2928 times)

lcastric

• http://www.lincolncastricone.com/blog
z3100 can it print sheets??
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:13:35 pm »

I've searched this topic to no avail.

I'm having a hell of a time printing sheets, especially sheets I've from roll media that wasn't printed.
No matter how I square up a sheet the z3100 wants to correct skew ad nauseum and then says, 'load roll paper'.

Anyone have any tips on using up those odds and ends.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:44:46 pm »

Quote from: lcastric

I'm having a hell of a time printing sheets, especially sheets I've from roll media that wasn't printed.
No matter how I square up a sheet the z3100 wants to correct skew ad nauseum and then says, 'load roll paper'.

Yep. It can be a pain. I get the quickest result from loading sheet paper the usual way, taking care to line up the right side of the sheet with the chrome index mark on the sheet paper 'door'. If the paper doesn't load on the first attempt, I lift the paper lever on the upper left and line up the paper's leading edge with the blue line in the paper output pathway. It rarely takes more than one attempt.

Hope that helps.

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »

Disable the skew check in the printer menu.

lcastric

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:49:45 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
Thanks ofr the suggestions. Will report progress later.

lcastric

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:05:12 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
This has helped enormously. Now I appear to be having problems related to the 'source' menu in the "Print Setup' or the HP "Properties' dialogues.
The 'source' menu gives four sources: manual, automatically select, printer auto select, and roll.

I used a large sheet of canvas.  When I loaded the sheet, I entered 'sheet' and 'Fine art material, Canvas' in the printer window.
Then I used 'printer auto select' and the printer stopped printing about 8 inches from the end of a 46" print saying there was a
paper jam. There wasn't.

I know if I use 'roll', the printer will stop printing before the end of a sheet saying the end of the roll has been reached. I think I also
had problems printing sheets with 'manual' selected in the source menu.

HELP!!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:08:07 am »

This has helped enormously. Now I appear to be having problems related to the 'source' menu in the "Print Setup' or the HP "Properties' dialogues.
The 'source' menu gives four sources: manual, automatically select, printer auto select, and roll.

I used a large sheet of canvas.  When I loaded the sheet, I entered 'sheet' and 'Fine art material, Canvas' in the printer window.
Then I used 'printer auto select' and the printer stopped printing about 8 inches from the end of a 46" print saying there was a
paper jam. There wasn't.

I know if I use 'roll', the printer will stop printing before the end of a sheet saying the end of the roll has been reached. I think I also
had problems printing sheets with 'manual' selected in the source menu.

HELP!!

The choice of "without skew" is that the one intended for deckled edge sheets ?
That is what I use all the time for sheets, proof sheets etc including canvas. I select "manual" then in the driver.
It doesn't measure the length of the media properly like the normal sheet mode does, the length is more or less arbitrary and as I seldom use large sheets (roll is easier then) the arbitrary length quoted in the driver is most of the time (much) longer than the actual sheet but could be too short with large sheets. I guess you have to check the actual length of the sheet you insert and check whether the length quoted in the driver exceeds it (with a margin of an inch longer for the actual sheet). If not then you either have to use the normal sheet mode that measures the real length but could in the process detect skew of the media or use the roll mode and tape a piece of paper (6-15 inches) at the end of the canvas to show the paper sensor that there's enough left at the back. That can also give load errors though, and the process of auto deskew(?) doesn't work when there's no real roll/core. Canvas sheets are easily distorted in size so always deliver more difficulty in loading than canvas straight off the roll.

If you load a sheet and made a mistake by marking it as a roll and kept that description in the driver then the paper sensor at the loading side will detect the end of the sheet and break the printing process off before the end of the sheet is reached. There will be less than 9" left in that case so it isn't related to your problem.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

lcastric

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »

Thanks, Ernst, and all for the feedback. Very helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up