Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4880 - cleaning to resolve ink artifacts  (Read 3395 times)

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
Epson 4880 - cleaning to resolve ink artifacts
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

could not find any info in this sites 'search' so I'll try this:

a few random ink streaks have begun appearing on recent prints (in the margins) . Suspect I need to clean the paper pathway /underside of head mount.
any information re: how to do that? (without screwing up this great machine)

thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

--
e/tb contemplativeeye.com

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:08 pm »

called Epson (nice thing about having a warranty / extended warranty to 2011).

turn machine OFF.

to release the head, so you can move it from it's 'home' position on the right - press down the cutter release (blue/purple switch on the front of the printer head - about 1.5" from the right front edge). You'll hear a clicking sound.  Carefully move the head assembly all the way to the left.

on the right there are two sponged areas. The first - with a larger mesh wire grid, and the second - smaller, with a finer meshed wire grid.  Between them is the rail on which the wiper blade slides.  The wiper blade appears to retract towards the rear of the machine when the machine if OFF.  
Epson service recommended cleaning (by dabbing with a warm water-wet Q tip) the second (smaller) sponge area, and the wiper blade.  There is a mylar 'shield' covering part of the blade - you can carefully dislodge the left side of that sheet to better access the wiper blade.  Clean the blade with a warm water-wet Q tip).

when done, slide the head assembly all the way to the right - you'll again hear a 'clicking' sound as it 'locks' into place.

seems to have worked - ink artifacts no more...

don't mind spending 5 mins every 500 prints to clean off the wiper /sponged area - if that's all it takes to keep this great machine going.

--
[/quote]

Tklimek

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:10:07 am »

Titusbear....

Thanks for posting this.  I agree with you on the 4880; a really great printer.  When I first got it, I was wondering if it was "too much printer" for me; but have never looked back.

Holiday cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: titusbear
called Epson (nice thing about having a warranty / extended warranty to 2011).

turn machine OFF.

to release the head, so you can move it from it's 'home' position on the right - press down the cutter release (blue/purple switch on the front of the printer head - about 1.5" from the right front edge). You'll hear a clicking sound.  Carefully move the head assembly all the way to the left.

on the right there are two sponged areas. The first - with a larger mesh wire grid, and the second - smaller, with a finer meshed wire grid.  Between them is the rail on which the wiper blade slides.  The wiper blade appears to retract towards the rear of the machine when the machine if OFF.  
Epson service recommended cleaning (by dabbing with a warm water-wet Q tip) the second (smaller) sponge area, and the wiper blade.  There is a mylar 'shield' covering part of the blade - you can carefully dislodge the left side of that sheet to better access the wiper blade.  Clean the blade with a warm water-wet Q tip).

when done, slide the head assembly all the way to the right - you'll again hear a 'clicking' sound as it 'locks' into place.

seems to have worked - ink artifacts no more...

don't mind spending 5 mins every 500 prints to clean off the wiper /sponged area - if that's all it takes to keep this great machine going.

--
Pages: [1]   Go Up