Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200 - trouble printing?  (Read 4561 times)

netherscurial

HP z3200 - trouble printing?
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:56 pm »

Hello,

I posted earlier about my troubles with profiling the Epson Enhanced Matter paper. I have successfully calibrated and profiled this paper but now I am having trouble printing. The profiling said he was successful and ready for use for applications to print, but when I use applications like Photoshop or Lightroom 2 and try to choose the paper type under the Paper type/quality in the print dialog in Leopard mac, the settings is grayed out, and won't let me select it. THe loaded paper is right below and I have the source as Manual Feed. THe size im printing to is 13" x 19" and I have selected that size in the page setup, super b/a3 on sheet media.

There are some errors in the Constraints & device status in the Paper type/quality section of the print settings; one says something like the selected paper type is not available in printer (which is like that because I cant  select it because its grayed out) and also it says the paper size selected is too big for the loaded paper which is says it's 12.94" x 19.01".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:59:04 am »

Quote from: netherscurial
Hello,

I posted earlier about my troubles with profiling the Epson Enhanced Matter paper. I have successfully calibrated and profiled this paper but now I am having trouble printing. The profiling said he was successful and ready for use for applications to print, but when I use applications like Photoshop or Lightroom 2 and try to choose the paper type under the Paper type/quality in the print dialog in Leopard mac, the settings is grayed out, and won't let me select it. THe loaded paper is right below and I have the source as Manual Feed. THe size im printing to is 13" x 19" and I have selected that size in the page setup, super b/a3 on sheet media.

There are some errors in the Constraints & device status in the Paper type/quality section of the print settings; one says something like the selected paper type is not available in printer (which is like that because I cant  select it because its grayed out) and also it says the paper size selected is too big for the loaded paper which is says it's 12.94" x 19.01".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

You might not be doing anything wrong; for all its virtues, the Z3100 has a pretty squirrely driver, and I suspect the Z3200 is similar. You may need to make sure the loaded paper type on the printer's LCD panel is correct. You can go back and change the loaded paper type there to make sure it matches, otherwise the printer will be "telling" photoshop and your computer the wrong thing.

With my Z3100 on Windows Vista, occasionally the printer and computer refuse to talk to each other. This is resolved by rebooting the printer.

netherscurial

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 02:05:31 pm »

Thanks for the reply, that sucks. Guess I will try to call HP and see what they can do. Maybe its my ethernet cable

netherscurial

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:42:38 am »

Well I messed around with it more. It's getting frustrating that I haven't been able to print yet.

I don't know what I did but the paper type for the Epson Enhanced matte suddenly became active as I switched and prodded between the print settings, but then as I changed some stuff it became gray again. I think it's laying hide and seeks with me

netherscurial

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:34 am »

Can anyone help me with this? HP is not available during the weekend to call it seems.

I have tried both ethernet connection and USB. I have tried re calibrating and profiling the paper again, and also tried rebooting the printer.

It's getting really frustrating. The manual is no help either.

What would tbe reasons for the custom paper types being grayed out in the print settings?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

netherscurial

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:33:23 am »

Ok just noticed something. If in Lightroom 2.2 I select Managed by printer under the Calibrate Printer section on the right and then go into the Print settings, then I the paper type for Enhanced Matter becomes available, not grayed out. I thought printer managed color for printing is bad? Maybe there's something wrong with the profile?

netherscurial

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:55:12 am »

I did just find this info on the web by googling...http://h10088.www1.hp.com/gap/Data/Using_Paper-presets_on_your_HP_Designjet_Z3200_Photo_Printer_Series.pdf

"Why is the paper preset that I have just created grayed-out in my Mac driver?

In Mac OS X v10.5, when you try to select the paper preset that you have just created in your paper type list on the driver, it might be grayed-out. This is a problem of interaction between the color settings and the paper types in this operating system version. Just select ‘Any’ in the paper type list of the driver, and the printer will work with the paper preset that you have selected in the front panel of your printer. "

So i think I have this solved. I just did a print and it came out looking pretty much like the image on my LCD.

I wonder if Apple has to fix this to make it work correctly.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up