Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online Photo Book Publishers/Printers  (Read 3409 times)

Streetshooter

Online Photo Book Publishers/Printers
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:32:20 pm »

Can anyone recommend an online Book Publisher/Printer ?   Any first hand experiences anyone?

Cheers,

Pete

Alexandre Buisse

• http://www.alexandrebuisse.org
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:11:48 pm »

I can not recommend you lulu.com, or at least the Spanish printing house they use for production shipping to parts of Europe. The quality was jokingly bad. I'll try blurb.com when I have some time to readapt the layout of my book, I heard some good things about them (but not first hand).

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:01:43 pm »

Quote from: Streetshooter
Can anyone recommend an online Book Publisher/Printer ?   Any first hand experiences anyone?

Cheers,

Pete
I tried Blurb, Apple and MyPublisher and I would find it very difficult to recommend any of them, although MyPublisher ranked the best of these worst. There is a pretty good overview with pros and cons in the current issue of American Photo. I could not immediately find a web reference to that article, sorry.

pflower

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:04:20 pm »

If you are careful Blurb can produce pretty decent results.

1. sign up for their colour managed workflow and download their profile.
2.  Soft proof using that profile in PS.
3.  If doing B&W convert to greyscale before re-converting to srgb - i.e. don't rely upon a black and white conversion in RGB - make sure you convert to greyscale and then back into RGB.  This way you do get neutral tones.
4.  Pay the extra for their superior paper option.  It does make a difference.

I have just received 3 books (2 colour and 1 B&W from them) which look good.  They are definitely better than the books I had from them before using the colour managed workflow and better paper option.  Much better than Lulu which I have also used.  The bindings, both softback and hardback, are good and the colours are good and the B&W is neutral.

I don't like the software particularly - booksmart - if only because it is impossible to size photos within a page so that each photo is exactly the same size.  One tip -  print to Jpeg from Lightroom (or batch from PS) so that your photo is properly positioned in the final page size and then import the pages with the white surround into booksmart.

The smaller books are pretty cheap and worth experimenting with.

Cheers,

Pete

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »

I did a book with Blurb and used the premium paper option. I am very happy with the result. (And hopefully my wife will be too, when she gets it for Christmas!) One of the tricks I used was to size the photos properly for each frame in the book. I sized them to the exact size required.

snickgrr

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:55 pm »

From the last post of this thread.  PaperChase

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=30300

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:03:59 pm »

I just published a book with Blurb. One word, if you plan to print B&W: DON'T. I've had problems with books looking either green or magenta (hmm, seems like old Epson inkjet problems). To their credit, Blurb has tried to be very helpful and upfront in their efforts to rectify quality issues, but in my case (including a one-time reprint) it failed. I spend A LOT of money for a comparatively few books (to send as Xmas presents to friends, family, and more importantly, clients). I have an ISBN number, and everything else necessary to market and sell -- but won't.

My book, "Vanishing Ireland", I had planned on submitting to mainstream publishers. Originally, I thought I'd use Blurb to create a full-size, 10x13 mockup, but then thought, "What the heck. I'm going to all this effort, I might as well see about getting an ISBN number and selling it myself". Big mistake. I actually bought some other photograsphers books (color) that were 10x13, and the reproduction was actually quite good. But, mine sucked. It's 160-pages, 149-plates, and I used the B3 services, the 100# silk paper -- the works -- and it was still disappointing. Plus, the expense is high enough to be almost prohibitive. If I could be sure of quality, I'd go ahead and market the "First Edition" as a limited edition and could then sell it for what it should be priced for that. But, the sweet spot for fine art photography coffee table books is roughly $40-60. If I pursue doing it myself, I'll bite the bullet and do it properly, to the tune of $15-20K for 1000 copies -- but then the retail will be in line.

Basically, look at your reasons for doing a book. Are your printing color or B&W? Are you planning on printing a few dozen at most (or on demand), or are you looking to sell to a larger market? Finally, are you footing the bill? Based on these criteria, digital, on-demand, non-color controlled printing may be the way to go. In which case, Blurb may be your answer -- or many of the other similar printers out there. A last suggestion: pick up the latest copy of American PHOTO. It has a small article and listing of at least half a dozen small OD printers, along with the strengths and weaknesses. Good luck.

Streetshooter

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:03:29 pm »

Quote from: nemophoto
I just published a book with Blurb. One word, if you plan to print B&W: DON'T. I've had problems with books looking either green or magenta (hmm, seems like old Epson inkjet problems). To their credit, Blurb has tried to be very helpful and upfront in their efforts to rectify quality issues, but in my case (including a one-time reprint) it failed. I spend A LOT of money for a comparatively few books (to send as Xmas presents to friends, family, and more importantly, clients). I have an ISBN number, and everything else necessary to market and sell -- but won't.

My book, "Vanishing Ireland", I had planned on submitting to mainstream publishers. Originally, I thought I'd use Blurb to create a full-size, 10x13 mockup, but then thought, "What the heck. I'm going to all this effort, I might as well see about getting an ISBN number and selling it myself". Big mistake. I actually bought some other photograsphers books (color) that were 10x13, and the reproduction was actually quite good. But, mine sucked. It's 160-pages, 149-plates, and I used the B3 services, the 100# silk paper -- the works -- and it was still disappointing. Plus, the expense is high enough to be almost prohibitive. If I could be sure of quality, I'd go ahead and market the "First Edition" as a limited edition and could then sell it for what it should be priced for that. But, the sweet spot for fine art photography coffee table books is roughly $40-60. If I pursue doing it myself, I'll bite the bullet and do it properly, to the tune of $15-20K for 1000 copies -- but then the retail will be in line.

Basically, look at your reasons for doing a book. Are your printing color or B&W? Are you planning on printing a few dozen at most (or on demand), or are you looking to sell to a larger market? Finally, are you footing the bill? Based on these criteria, digital, on-demand, non-color controlled printing may be the way to go. In which case, Blurb may be your answer -- or many of the other similar printers out there. A last suggestion: pick up the latest copy of American PHOTO. It has a small article and listing of at least half a dozen small OD printers, along with the strengths and weaknesses. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info guys.  It's going to be color and B&W. Main reason will be for self promotion and it'll be sent out to prospective clients. I must admit the color control is my biggest concern

Has anyone used Pikto?  I believe Michael used them for his Retrospective book.

Pete

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:56:22 pm »

Another one to look at is editiononestudios.com. A little better quality than the others, but a 5 book minimum. Lower prices possible with larger quantities.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:37:49 pm »

I used Blurb, had a few B/W photos but mostly color and was happy with my book.  Perhaps I'm easy.

Try this:  Make a quick and simple book using the Blurb template and see how you like it.  Just toss in a few photos and order one.  If you like the results, then add the other photos, text, table of contents, etc., etc.

But one word of caution:  Do not attempt any serious writing or word processing from the Blurb template.  Do all your writing in a real word processor and then (tediously) paste the text into the Blurb template.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

GKN

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:16 pm »

I have used Momento and the book was excellent - colours were spot on, the paper was of a good quality.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 04:21:35 pm »

Quote from: gordonsbuck
I used Blurb, had a few B/W photos but mostly color and was happy with my book.  Perhaps I'm easy.

Same here: Mostly colour, a few B&W. I'm happy (and easy).

I just had another look, and I can't detect any colour-cast in the B&W photos.

innocente

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:53:49 pm »

Thanks for all the info guys.  It's going to be color and B&W. Main reason will be for self promotion and it'll be sent out to prospective clients. I must admit the color control is my biggest concern

Has anyone used Pikto?  I believe Michael used them for his Retrospective book.

Pete

I did a B&W book with Pikto--about a dozen copies at 30 pages each--came to about $90 each.  I was very happy with the neutrality and quality of paper and binding.  

Basically, what I saw in the template, in terms of tone and sizing and text, was exactly what I got.

L.

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:38:31 pm »

I'm happy with Blurb, but I'm also easy.  Don't care for their template though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up