Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography competition  (Read 3652 times)

softmachine

Photography competition
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:35:02 pm »

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but you may be interested in submitting your best travel photograph to a new competition.

All you need to do is upload a photo of your favourite place and briefly say why it means so much to you.

You can enter, and view all of the other entries, here:

www.ourfavouriteplace.co.uk

Thanks!  

Paul Sumi

Photography competition
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:03:44 pm »

Quote from: softmachine
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but you may be interested in submitting your best travel photograph to a new competition.

All you need to do is upload a photo of your favourite place and briefly say why it means so much to you.

Thanks!

Looking at the contest terms and conditions, the usual caveat emptor applies regarding transferring the copyright and other rights in perpetuity of one's photo to the company running the contest:

"On submitting an entry, each entrant irrevocably and exclusively grants and assigns to Bauer Media with full title guarantee the entire copyright and all other rights of whatever nature in his/her entry for the full duration of such rights throughout the world and accepts that Pernod Ricard and Bauer Media shall have the exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable and worldwide right to use, copy and exploit all photos and stories entered into the promotion. Entrants shall complete any additional paperwork reasonably requested by Pernod Ricard and/or Bauer Media to confirm the rights assigned under this paragraph."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:05:23 pm by PaulS »

Johnny Magnoski

Photography competition
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:51:26 pm »

Good job pointing that out.  As I'm sure you know, most people don't read the fine print.

Marlyn

Photography competition
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
Looking at the contest terms and conditions, the usual caveat emptor applies regarding transferring the copyright and other rights in perpetuity of one's photo to the company running the contest:

"On submitting an entry, each entrant irrevocably and exclusively grants and assigns to Bauer Media with full title guarantee the entire copyright and all other rights of whatever nature in his/her entry for the full duration of such rights throughout the world and accepts that Pernod Ricard and Bauer Media shall have the exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable and worldwide right to use, copy and exploit all photos and stories entered into the promotion. Entrants shall complete any additional paperwork reasonably requested by Pernod Ricard and/or Bauer Media to confirm the rights assigned under this paragraph."

Interpreted (by me only) as:
 "We dont' want to pay for commercial photography, so we will run a competition and get all these images for free/next to free for all of our advertising, AND stop the photographer doing anything with the image if they win"

Someone in the UK should forward this to their local industry body, as a rule they love making examples of this kind of "competition".

Edit:  In fact, having just looked at it, I'm passing it onto mine (AIPP), as it is promoting an Australian Company.  Jacobs Creek should be ashamed of themselves, never mind the producers of the move "Australia".
Time for a rare post on the AIPP forums !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:00:57 pm by Marlyn »

DarkPenguin

Photography competition
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

That's how it looks to me.  Looks like more of a land grab than usual for such "contests".

Geoff Wittig

Photography competition
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »

[/quote]

"Exxxxxcellent. We'll have a "contest", and use the submissions as free stock photographs. Hell, we can even sell the images for a profit when we're done with 'em.

Mwahahahahahha."

Marlyn

Photography competition
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:21:55 pm »

Interesting article in our local news on this very topic.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/photographers/arch...fine_print.html

Gary Brown

Photography competition
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:38:35 pm »

Quote from: Marlyn
Interpreted (by me only) as:
 "We dont' want to pay for commercial photography, so we will run a competition and get all these images for free/next to free for all of our advertising, AND stop the photographer doing anything with the image if they win"
It doesn't say "if they win"; it says they own any photo you submit to the contest, whether you win or not.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Photography competition
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:24 pm »

Quote from: softmachine

Thanks!

Softmachine - not sure if you're going to read this but in the absence of any meaningful contact info on the Jacobs Creek Wines website I thought you should know that I have passed this on the the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers (AIPP) which takes a dim view of such rights grab 'competitions'. As an Australian and since this is in connection with the movie 'Australia' I am embarrassed that a well known brand like Jacobs Creek, not to mention Baz Luhrman, would choose be associated with this sort of cheap stunt.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Photography competition
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:37:33 pm »

Quote from: Nick Rains
Softmachine - not sure if you're going to read this but in the absence of any meaningful contact info on the Jacobs Creek Wines website I thought you should know that I have passed this on the the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers (AIPP) which takes a dim view of such rights grab 'competitions'. As an Australian and since this is in connection with the movie 'Australia' I am embarrassed that a well known brand like Jacobs Creek, not to mention Baz Luhrman, would choose be associated with this sort of cheap stunt.

I have also taken the time to forward this to the AIPP.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Paul Sumi

Photography competition
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55:12 pm »

Quote from: Johnny Magnoski
Good job pointing that out.  As I'm sure you know, most people don't read the fine print.

I personally don't make a living from photography but have friends who do, so I am acutely aware of  this issue.

A lot of people don't care.  If I were a GWC (guy/gal with camera) I might be thrilled to have a chance to win a contest like this.  With digital it doesn't "cost" them anything to enter, so they ask, "why not?"

I've been tempted to pseudoanonymously submit entries to contests like this with a big watermark covering the image saying "This contest is a blatant rights grab."    

Paul
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:05:07 pm by PaulS »

Johnny Magnoski

Photography competition
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 10:49:30 pm »

Quote from: PaulS
I've been tempted to pseudoanonymously submit entries to contests like this with a big watermark covering the image saying "This contest is a blatant rights grab."    

Paul

That would be awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up