Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bibble,ACR or Capture 1 for Sony a900?  (Read 9009 times)

andyptak

Bibble,ACR or Capture 1 for Sony a900?
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:38:21 pm »

I've been a bit dissapointed in some of the ACR processed RAW files coming out of my Sony a700 and a900 and while Sony's own RAW converter seems to be a little bit better, it has so few features that it's almost useless.

Anyone with specific experirnce with Sony and Bibble or C1? Thanks.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:40:53 pm »

Raw DEvelopper 1.8.1 also does support the A900 if you are on Mac, judging from what it does with my D3 and ZD files, it should do a best in class job with the A900 also.

There is no workflow per se, but if you are looking for best possible image quality and have access to another file browser, then it is really worth considering!

Cheers,
Bernard

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:17:50 pm »

I find C1 way superior to LR/ACR - however, I've heard but have nor yet personally checked that Aperture beats them all.
I'll say no more as I believe Michael R. will have something to say on this subject in due course!
Bill

andyptak

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »

As a Windows user I'm stuck to that format. If Michael has something to say about this subject, I hope he does it soon, I don't want to have to delay my decision until he's back from the South Pole!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
IF Michael has something to say about this subject, I hope he does it soon, I don't want to have to delay my decision until he's back from the South Pole!

I believe that Michael has been standardizing his raw conversion worlflow on Adobe products.

Cheers,
Bernard

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:02:07 pm »

If that's correct, I'd presume that Michael must be happy with ACR and LR for his new a900? I've read various posts in various places claiming that ACR does a poor job on Sony files. now I'm totaly confused because I can't see him using anything but the best.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:43:22 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
If that's correct, I'd presume that Michael must be happy with ACR and LR for his new a900? I've read various posts in various places claiming that ACR does a poor job on Sony files. now I'm totaly confused because I can't see him using anything but the best.

He will be able to comment on that better, but could it be that your best differs from my best, which differs from Michael's best?

We all have different priorities and usage patterns, don't we?

Cheers,
Bernard

michael

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »

I've just completed a comparison of the various raw processors for the A900. It'll be in my A900 update article before Monday.

Top of the pack is Aperture, but there's a "but". More in a few days.

Michael

andyptak

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:57:26 pm »

Yes we do  Bernard, but some of us are better than others - meaning me! I've had a hard time transitioning from film to digital and in my mind, Michael is the Ansel Adams of digital IQ. His shots are actually better than Adams (for me) because they have soul, something I always felt that the big man lacked.

I understood working in the darkroom a lot more than I understand working in RAW. While I love Lightroom and working in ACR in LR makes sense to me, I'm not sure that it's kind to Sony RAW files. I have a feeling not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up