Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R2400: panorama on roll paper truncated (MacOS)  (Read 4495 times)

jjd

Epson R2400: panorama on roll paper truncated (MacOS)
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:57:59 pm »

I'm having trouble trying to print a 7.5" x 60" panorama on my Epson R2400 using 8.3" roll paper. The problem is that the image stops printing after just under 11.5" of length. There is no error, it just stops. The Print Preview looks fine, but the print stops.

Details: I'm using MacOS 10.5.5, Dual 2.3Ghz PowerMac G5, 2GB RAM with EPSON Stylus Photo R2400 driver version 6.12. I'm using Photoshop CS3 version 10.0.1.

Method: I use Page Setup/Manager Custom Sizes to create a paper sized 8.3" x 60". I have tried printing "landscape" with the panorama image
oriented horizontally and "portrait" with the panorama image oriented vertically, but the result is the same -- stops after 11.5" (though one method prints the left 11.5" and the other prints the right 11.5".)

The image itself isn't that large -- only about 10,000 x 1300 pixels.

In the Photoshop print dialog, the display of the image on the left hand side implies that the paper size matches the print size. Under
"Roll Paper Option" I have tried both "Banner" as well as "Cut Sheet".

I tried doing this previously five years ago with a 2200, an older version of MacOS and an older version of Photoshop with the same results.  So I feel as if I must be doing something wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. This is very frustrating.

--Jim Dempsey--

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:28:07 pm »

Since there are no other answers I will attempt a partial one.  I used to print 13x40 panos on a 2200 from Windows, but I don't think I ever set up a custom paper size, but rather used the "Roll Paper" source setting.  There were also different results from feeding the paper into the straight-through entry point in the back versus the vertical tray, I recall I fed my cut-down rolls through the vertical entry with the roll source setting...I believe that was contrary to what the manual suggested.  I think "Banner" is intended to print your image on several smaller sheets.

FYI with the Windows/2200 combo there was a size limit around 44", there may be yet another wall when you get past this one!

jjd

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:17:27 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Since there are no other answers I will attempt a partial one.  I used to print 13x40 panos on a 2200 from Windows, but I don't think I ever set up a custom paper size, but rather used the "Roll Paper" source setting.
Thanks!  I'll see if I can give that a try.  The reason I didn't do that was that although the driver seems to have roll paper sources for several sizes from business card to 17", I didn't see one for 8.3".  I'll look closer.  Perhaps there is a way to add it from the original driver distribution.

Thanks.

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:32 am »

If you are going through the standard epson driver you can only print up to 44" long with that printer. The reason it is printing and then stopping is because it is defaulting back to the default page size. If you check under the summary tab in the driver you will see the page size.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 01:26:29 pm »

Quote from: na goodman
If you are going through the standard epson driver you can only print up to 44" long with that printer. The reason it is printing and then stopping is because it is defaulting back to the default page size. If you check under the summary tab in the driver you will see the page size.

This is the reply that I was going to give. Most Windows user who want to get around this limitation of the driver use QImage instead of Photoshop.  
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:28 pm »

That probably is the best option but I think the poster said they were on a Mac. My reference is to a Mac but if Qimage was available for the mac I certainly would give it a try.

jjd

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 03:39:27 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
Since there are no other answers I will attempt a partial one.  I used to print 13x40 panos on a 2200 from Windows, but I don't think I ever set up a custom paper size, but rather used the "Roll Paper" source setting

I tried to do this, but I don't think it is going to work.  The roll paper I have is 8.3" wide.  Here are the roll choices from the "Paper Size" pulldown in the "Page Setup" dialog that are anywhere near 8" wide:  (in this case the symbol -> means a secondary pull down)

A4 -> A4 (Roll Paper)
A4 -> A4 (Roll Paper - Borderless)
A4 -> A4 (Manual - Roll)
A4 -> A4 (Manual - Roll(Borderless))
A4 (Roll Paper - Borderless Banner)
20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) -> 20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) (Roll Paper)
20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) -> 20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) (Roll Paper - Borderless)
20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) (Roll Paper - Borderless Banner)
US Letter -> US Letter (Roll Paper)
US Letter -> US Letter (Roll Paper - Borderless)
US Letter -> US Letter (Manual - Roll)
US Letter -> US Letter (Manual - Roll(Borderless))
US Letter (Roll Paper - Borderless Banner)

When I select any of these paper sizes, there is a distinct width and length to the selection.  For example the 20 x 25cm is, well 20x25cm and the US Letter is 8.5x11".  In Photoshop the print dialog then shows as if that were the paper size and truncates the panorama to that size.  Further, the print preview window shows the same.

Is this not what you were suggesting?  Or is the "source setting" you describe something different than "Paper Size"?

--Jim--

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 07:24:02 am »

Quote from: jjd
I tried to do this, but I don't think it is going to work.  The roll paper I have is 8.3" wide.  Here are the roll choices from the "Paper Size" pulldown in the "Page Setup" dialog that are anywhere near 8" wide:  (in this case the symbol -> means a secondary pull down)

A4 -> A4 (Roll Paper)
A4 -> A4 (Roll Paper - Borderless)
A4 -> A4 (Manual - Roll)
A4 -> A4 (Manual - Roll(Borderless))
A4 (Roll Paper - Borderless Banner)
20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) -> 20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) (Roll Paper)
20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) -> 20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) (Roll Paper - Borderless)
20 x 25cm (8 x 10in) (Roll Paper - Borderless Banner)
US Letter -> US Letter (Roll Paper)
US Letter -> US Letter (Roll Paper - Borderless)
US Letter -> US Letter (Manual - Roll)
US Letter -> US Letter (Manual - Roll(Borderless))
US Letter (Roll Paper - Borderless Banner)

When I select any of these paper sizes, there is a distinct width and length to the selection.  For example the 20 x 25cm is, well 20x25cm and the US Letter is 8.5x11".  In Photoshop the print dialog then shows as if that were the paper size and truncates the panorama to that size.  Further, the print preview window shows the same.

Is this not what you were suggesting?  Or is the "source setting" you describe something different than "Paper Size"?

--Jim--

I always setup a custom paper size.  I have a long list of them called "Pano-17x4x" where x is incremented every 2 inches.  I am not sure any other way to do it.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up