Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Softproofing: A change to Photoshop needed  (Read 5453 times)

walter.sk

Softproofing: A change to Photoshop needed
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:50:52 am »

I agree with Andrew Rodney about not using "Simulate Paper Color" while the panels, menus, or any other source of white are visible on the screen.  However, I find it difficult to edit the softproofed image without Paper Simulation, then check the box and switch to full frame viewing.

Would it be so difficult for Adobe to either reduce the whiteness/brightness levels in the pallets and dialog boxes, as in the adjustment and layer panels, to a level that would be less bright than the paper-simulated white would be?  (Similar to what is done in LightRoom?

Or, as in the options to set the color of the Gamut warning, masks, guides, etc, how about an option to choose the text and pallet background colors?

Either way, it would increase the usability of the Simulate Paper Color option in softproofing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:10:17 am »

Walter, an inexpensive solution to this problem these days is to buy a second display (a cheap one), set your video card to make both displays one desktop, and then shift all the photoshop menus to the second display. Position the second display so it doesn't cast light on the primary display but you can still see it easily by just glancing over to it. This has several important advantages: no clutter around your image, much more space to see the image, no distractions, and the grey surround for the image works just fine for soft-proofing with "Simulate Paper White" checked. Depending on the paper you are using, "Simulate Paper White" can be quite important to achieving the most predictable and faithful results.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Tklimek

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:37:48 pm »

:-)

I'm hoping that Lightroom 2.x will come out within 6 months and provide true "kick-a*s" softproofing!

:-)

Holiday cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: walter.sk
I agree with Andrew Rodney about not using "Simulate Paper Color" while the panels, menus, or any other source of white are visible on the screen.  However, I find it difficult to edit the softproofed image without Paper Simulation, then check the box and switch to full frame viewing.

Would it be so difficult for Adobe to either reduce the whiteness/brightness levels in the pallets and dialog boxes, as in the adjustment and layer panels, to a level that would be less bright than the paper-simulated white would be?  (Similar to what is done in LightRoom?

Or, as in the options to set the color of the Gamut warning, masks, guides, etc, how about an option to choose the text and pallet background colors?

Either way, it would increase the usability of the Simulate Paper Color option in softproofing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:50:35 pm »

Who outside the Adobe development team knows, but I'd be surprised to see soft-proofing included in a "dot" release. From what I've heard, the amount of work required to implement this - not new- idea is very considerable and they want to make sure to get it right. I expect it would be a major feature of the next version, but I'm of course willing to be pleasantly surprised.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Adobe Lightroom team said that soft-proofing would not come until a future version of Lightroom, not a point release of 2.
Regards,
Ron

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:02:43 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk

A dual display kind of solves this.

Yes, a UI rework would be really helpful (along with a lot of other needed functionality). Hopefully LR 3.0 will get it right, really kick butt and then the Photoshop team will take notice.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:40:17 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
A dual display kind of solves this.

Yes, a UI rework would be really helpful (along with a lot of other needed functionality). Hopefully LR 3.0 will get it right, really kick butt and then the Photoshop team will take notice.

Andrew - ref Post #2 above, we're on the same page about the huge benefits of a dual display set-up, and these days it really is inexpensive because one doesn't need a quality monitor for displaying menus.

Your comment about Photoshop - it already has softproofing, so not sure what you are alluding to here - unless you meant ACR. If so, I would presume the two apps would include this functionality in parallel once their engineers develop it.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:35:10 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
Walter, an inexpensive solution to this problem these days is to buy a second display (a cheap one), set your video card to make both displays one desktop, and then shift all the photoshop menus to the second display. Position the second display so it doesn't cast light on the primary display but you can still see it easily by just glancing over to it. This has several important advantages: no clutter around your image, much more space to see the image, no distractions, and the grey surround for the image works just fine for soft-proofing with "Simulate Paper White" checked. Depending on the paper you are using, "Simulate Paper White" can be quite important to achieving the most predictable and faithful results.

And, as I have found very useful, you can just turn the 2nd monitor off while evaluating an image.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up