Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaked Canon 5D spec sheet..  (Read 37005 times)

Digi-T

Leaked Canon 5D spec sheet..
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2005, 03:01:16 am »

Plagiarism is rife in the world of art, whether it's camera technique or theme similarity. How many movies have a similar theme to the Bruce Willis film "The Sixth Sense" where a dead person walks around under the impression he is still alive? Quite a few.
Crap, and I was just about to watch "The Sixth Sense" for the first time.  :p

T

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2005, 03:15:57 pm »

Ray, what the h-ell, I found that I couldn't work with the crop, I yearned to use the lenses I had for the purposes they were bought for, I could not go back to small dim viewfinders or inaccurately large AF points. My 24-70L is incredibly sharp, including the corners and certaily good enough for the 18X12" prints I make.

) and may well suit you down to the ground. That there are these choices out there means that we can get the best camera for our needs, competition is good, long may it continue

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2005, 06:00:55 am »

I know what you mean, it would have been better with that curve included. Problem was that it stretched too far to the right for it to be sucessfully included without ruining the look of the flow of the river, though I tried it at the time. I was going for a very dynamic look, square would not have done it at all.

etmpasadena

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2005, 01:57:50 pm »

>>Assuming the 5D is no hoax, and it now seems likely that it isn't, it'll be competing head on with the D2X at a similar price/performance ratio. <<

I don't think so at all. The 1D and D2x series get you a much more bulletproof body and more robust AE and AF systems. A better analogy is that Kodak demonstrated there is a huge demand for a lower feature (less bulletproof) and lighter body in a full frame high resolution package.

For the past three years Kodak users have been saying that we don't need high fps and a bulletproof body only to be shouted down by everyone on those 'other' boards. (You know what I'm talking about.)  who keep saying that anyone who is a pro *must* at times need to pound nails with their camera body. Yea, right. Like Mamiya was ever weather sealed-not!

I'm glad Canon now has a reasonably priced FF camera for those who don't need to take their cameras to sporting events or war zones.

Ray

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2005, 01:58:53 am »

However, if the shutter is as inexcusably loud as the 20D then no purchase will be made.
Because it might frighten the wildlife, or degrade the image. Which?  :D

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2005, 03:15:39 am »

There is also perspective distortion otherwise known as compression. A 50mm on a FF camera will turn out different perspective distortion than a 28mm or 35mm on a APS-C camera.

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you referring to the 'big nose' effect when shooting portraits up close with a wide angle lens? Surely this is dependent on distance to subject. For the same FoV you'd be further away using a 28mm lens on a crop camera than you would using that same lens on a full frame. If the 'field of view' is the same, the perspective is the same.
Ray is absolutely correct here. Perspective is directly related to subject distance and nothing else. If you're 6 inches away from someone's face, their nose is going to look unnaturally large in relation to other facial features regardles of the focal length of the lens used. Don't confuse that with barrel/pincushion distortion which is completely different and has nothing at all to do with subject distance. A 15-degree FOV at a distance of 10 feet is always going to exhibit the same perspective characteristics regardless of the focal length and camera format used to achieve it. But the barrel/pincushion characteristics wull change from lens to lens, even ones of the same focal length on the same camera; for example, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the 50mm f/2.5 macro lenses will have identical perspective, but different barrel/pincushion characteristics.

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2005, 11:44:54 am »

I could be mistaken on that point. However (here it comes), there is just something about the images I take with a wide on a croped camera that feels amis. Something about it just doesn't feel as natural as images I've taken and seen from full-frame sensors (or film). Can't put my finger on it exactly.

Without a full-frame D-SLR to compare to I can't narrow it down. The perspective distortion thing seemed the most logical.
Yes, I think you are.

That's a paralax issue with the viewfinder. The image is in fact cropped. The full image come from the image circle the lens is designed to create. The smaller sensor only captures the very center crop of that.
No, this has nothing to do with parallax, just that the viewfinder does not see 100% of the image cast on the sensor with the 20D.
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Ray

« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2005, 12:38:49 am »

Plagiarism is rife in the world of art, whether it's camera technique or theme similarity. How many movies have a similar theme to the Bruce Willis film "The Sixth Sense" where a dead person walks around under the impression he is still alive? Quite a few.

bangaio

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2005, 05:14:12 am »

What I don't get is if it isn't going to be weather sealed - why no built in flash?  WHat is the point in leaving it out?  Is it so the dpr masses can pretend it's a more serious camera whereas a small flash for some fill in from time to time is really useful!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up