Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaked Canon 5D spec sheet..  (Read 36969 times)

jani

• Øyet
Leaked Canon 5D spec sheet..
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 03:48:19 am »

I don't like 4/3rds anyway, give me a 7X5 sensor now....
I'd like a 1:1 sensor, the lens is round. Let me do my own cropping.
Jan

milanissimo

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 10:34:25 am »

Wow, you sure are serious with the 5D Pom. Again, if the "still hypothetic" 5D can serve your needs, go and buy it, but I'd rather wait for the official announcement to be made first. You're probably right with 1Ds, the price of the used bodies will drop dramatically, if the new model will be announced.

How about the new lens that is suposed to be announced? 24-105 f4 L IS. Looks good, but also looks very expensive  :(

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 07:57:49 pm »

If they are now bringing out two lines of FF sensors it may be time for them to update the 16-35L with something better, maybe PMA?

Sfleming

• http://
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 06:47:04 pm »

Andy over on digitalgrin says he has spoken with Bowes and got a confirmation.

RobertJ

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 10:51:58 pm »

Very true, Dark Penguin.  But many people were hoping for a Pro 1.6x crop camera, and at the same time, many wanted a high-res, full-frame camera without the bulky Pro body of the 1Ds series.  Oh well.  I'm still looking forward to this camera.  

T-1000

lester_wareham

• http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 06:41:30 am »

There's something a bit unsatisfactory about a 12.8MP FF sensor. This would be hardly better than the old 1Ds.
My origional entry criteria to digital was an afordable (<£4K) full frame >10 Mp sensor.

I changed my mind when I saw results from the 20D and decided 1.6X crop sensors were OK for now.

So this product (if not vapourware) may appeal to many.

For me now with a 20D I would wait for a full frame 16Mp or more as I would not want to reduce the sample rate even for the larger sensor and higher overall pixel count.

Ray

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 05:21:39 am »

Seriously, now. I think some of those buttons could be difficult to access with gloves on   :: .

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005, 05:29:29 pm »

I try not to. Have often draped my waterproof over the camera at the expense of myself! That said, unless someone could show me just how waterproof the 1Ds is, I wouldn't go out of my way to let it get rained on either so I'm more or less in the same boat.

I once got malfunction in the middle of a wedding due to rain at the ceremony, flash got wet and needed half an hour to dry out, luckily I carry backups but I lost 6 frames in the film days where you couldn't rescue a 2 stop underexposed image so easily.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 06:59:07 pm »

A home exercise in what happens when you change the distance to the subject, but keep the relative size of the subject the same (by changing the focal length), can be seen in many movies, since it's often used as a dramatic effect.

If it's a person, then you'll often see how the person in front suddenly seems a lot larger than the people in the back, or vice versa.
Jan

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2005, 11:20:37 am »

Mark, I'd love to wait but because of these rumours the price of 2nd hand 1Ds's is already dropping, when it gets announced I could have serious difficulty trying to change for the 5D without making a loss. The idea of playing the upgrade game sucessfully is to have the previous camera pay for the next one, if I am going to make a loss then I might as well stick with the 1Ds.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 09:57:31 am »

OK, my 1Ds is up on the bay, anyone want a RRS 'L' bracket almost new for £90 after the 28th?

If this camera turns out to ba a 1.3X crop then I will be well pi**ed. Then again I could buy a 1Ds back in December and still make profit...

BJL

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 10:34:01 am »

... and just how bleeding heavy that beast is with a 24-70L and flash after 4 hours.....
And the 24-70 f/2.8 is still going to be as heavy with the 5D, as are any of the longer, "fatter" lenses needed to get any high speed/low noise advantage out of using 35mm format instead of a smaller DSLR format. ("Fatter" meaning with larger front elements to provide the larger effective aperture diameters which are physically essential to get increased total light gathering speed and better high speed/low light performance, regardless of sensor size.)

If you have much need to use that lens wide open at the highest ISO with acceptable noise levels, you are stuck with that weight. Otherwise, you might well be better of with a smaller format DSLR with shorter, "slimmer", lighter zooms (e.g. 20D if Canon offers a fast enough EF-S standard zoom, D2x with 17-55 f/2.8, the expected new higher resolution Olympus E model with 14-35 f/2).

Remember that as soon as you stop down for the sake of adequate DOF, the low noise advantage of a larger sensor disappears: DX or 1.6x formats can then get the same DOF at a bit more than one stop faster, and so at about half the ISO needed with 35mm format; Four Thirds can be used about two stops faster and so at one quarter of the ISO speed.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2005, 08:15:22 am »

Also the 24-105L, a new 75-300IS and the 430EX flash.

The 430ex looks very interesting, if only canon's flash system matched their excellent flash units!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 07:01:31 pm »

Frankly, I'm finding it hard to believe that Canon would release a full-frame DSLR at that price point.  It'd be as big a price point breakthrough as the intro of the D30 and the original Digital Rebel.

But if this is correct, then all the new owners will be complaining that the edges of their wide angle lenses are soft, which will put pressure on Canon to finally make WA's worthy of their full frame DSLR's.   That's got to be a good thing.  

Paul

DarkPenguin

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2005, 10:06:52 pm »

This isn't meant to be a small version of a 1 series camera.  This camera sits in a whole different line.  Why should you expect it to have weather sealing, faster FPS, and 45 AF points?  I think the specs are fantastic in my opinion.

T-1000
I was hoping for a pro version of a 1.6 crop camera.  I would rather have IS in body and weather sealing than FF.  My 20D feels remarkably fragile compared to any camera I've ever owned.  (Including my 300D.)

Ray

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2005, 07:14:38 am »

I rarely shoot portraits/event work at more than f4/5.6 and I want a portrait shot wide open to look like it!

So what's the problem? You don't shoot portraits with a wide angle lens, do you? The excellent Canon 50/1.4 on a D2X size sensor becomes an 80mm f2. Isn't this an excellent portrait lens? So you want a bit wider. The Canon 30mm f1.4 is a good lens, equivalent to a 45mm f2 on the D2X. I see no major disadvantage of the cropped format unless you want a field of view wider than the equivalent of 15mm on full frame.

I want my lens to work as it was made

You mean you want all the bad bits of the lens plus 3/4trs of the good bits instead of 100% of the good bits and none of the bad bits?  ???

If you ever had occasion to look at some of Photodo's MTF charts (when they were still available), you'd get the feeling you were standing on the edge of a precipice about 15mm from the centre of the lens, which is the corner of a 20D sensor. Slight exaggeration maybe, but I'm sure you get the point   .

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2005, 06:51:28 am »

Michael will still hate it - no MLU button!

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2005, 05:24:33 pm »

Ray, I think the issue isn't so much extreme events, but just day-after-day and month-after-month of near-total mechanical and electrical reliability through a wide variety of stressful weather and other environmental conditions. Some people need that, others do not.
And it isn't just what people usually think of as "stressful conditions", e.g. a 20D will probably have a far shorter life if used in the rain than if it's well protected, used in good weather or indoors only. Ditto for dust.

So if people are thinking of using their DSLR in the rain, they'll either need a 1-series body if they're buying Canon, the D2X if they're buying Nikon, or a similar product to the Kata rain cover.

And as you say, some people will need that, some not. pom probably doesn't stand in the rain when he's taking wedding pictures.
Jan

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2005, 04:35:17 pm »

Fair enough. I'd say it's most likely due to differences in the lenses involved in the comparison.

BJL

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 06:20:01 pm »

... the prevailing wisdom that full frame cameras will always be aimed at the professional and be too expensive for all but the most enthusiastic and well-heeled amateur, is beginning to crumble.
I would say that the rumoured 5D price of around 3,600 euro (about Au$6,000 for Ray's benefit), would still leave 24x36mm digital format solidly in the realm of "the professional and ... the most enthusiastic and well-heeled amateur".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up