Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: migrating edits between projects in Final Cut  (Read 4263 times)

Mike W

migrating edits between projects in Final Cut
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:29 am »

Hi,

I'm relatively new to video editing and I'm wondering if the following is possible:

I've edited a short film in Final Cut Express (I'm guessing whatever works in Pro will also work in express), in PAL 5:4 aspect ratio.
I would like to migrate the film to another aspect ratio: 4:3. The original footage is 4:3, but I made a mistake by clicking the 5:4 ratio.

When I try to edit the aspect ratio in the sequence settings, the movie won't export correctly.
That's why I would like to bring my edited clips (with in and out markers) into another project with the correct settings.

Any help will be appreciated.

regards,

Mike

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35:06 pm »

Normally if you want to transfer to a different editing package, you need to export the EDL - Edit Decision List. This should work in theory in any package for the basic stuff, any thing that is specific to one programme may not translate.
Are you wanting to redo in FCP the second time, having originally done the edit in FCE, it's not that clear?
Or are you simply wanting to restart project with correct aspect ratio and import the first edit and only keep the EDL?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Mike W

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:03:10 pm »

Thanks JJJ,

To be clear: I NEED to redo it in a different aspect ratio. But I would also LIKE to know how to bring edited material into different aspect ratios.
If this were a project recorded in 16:9, I'd like to know how to bring the edits into a 4:3 project.

Make sense?

I'll try your suggestion later, see if I can make it work.

thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike W

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:04 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Normally if you want to transfer to a different editing package, you need to export the EDL - Edit Decision List. This should work in theory in any package for the basic stuff, any thing that is specific to one programme may not translate.
Are you wanting to redo in FCP the second time, having originally done the edit in FCE, it's not that clear?
Or are you simply wanting to restart project with correct aspect ratio and import the first edit and only keep the EDL?

Sorry, I misunderstood:

In short, yes I want to keep the EDL in a restart project with the correct aspect ratio.

Mike W

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:13 pm »

Well, I got the thing to work as I wanted to:

I've changed the aspect ratio from 5:4 to 4:3 PAL in sequence settings. I used to get a codec error. I've changed compression from H264 to sorenson 3, and now it works like a charm. No idea why H264 don't work though....

I guess my "migrating" edits was irrelevant, it's possible to change aspect ratios at any time (it seems) during editing. The error was caused by another variable.

thanks for the help though, jjj

Pages: [1]   Go Up