Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage interpolation  (Read 1877 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Qimage interpolation
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:07:16 pm »

I love Qimage, am using it mostly set to defaults until I am familier, then try push it a little , which is what I do with most things.

I see that the default interpolation setting for 'Normal Prints' is 600ppi, and 300PPI for 'Posters'.

I have a few questions..

- What is a 'Normal Print'?
- At what size does a 'Normal Print' become a poster
- If I set the Poster interpolation to 600PPI what happens? Is my printer (Z3100) printing at a higher res?
- Does this increase the spooling time?

Basically, I want the absolute BEST resolution I can get from the Z3100. I print for other people so I get a huge range   of print sizes and print quality. Some are lower res files, some are quite noisy etc.

And why IS the default 300 and not 600? isn't 600ppi better?

Thanks, John

Johnny_Johnson

Qimage interpolation
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:15:46 pm »

Hi John,

I think that you'll find that "poster" in Qimage terms means printing a single image over several sheets of paper so that the multiple sheets may be joined together to make one large print.  A "Normal Print" would be one that is made by printing the image on a single sheet of paper, no matter how large.  As far as the default being 300PPI for posters - I'd guess that the thinking is that you probably won't need the higher quality if you're just pasting multiple sheets together to make one large print.  However, the poster function can also be used in conjunction with roll paper to overcome print length limitations in the printer driver.  In that case you'd probably want to use the 600PPI option in conjunction with the Poster feature.  See examples 6 and 6a in the learn by example section of the Qimage Help for more info.

Later,
Johnny
Pages: [1]   Go Up