Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few question about Phocus PC  (Read 4233 times)

davidjay

• http://
A few question about Phocus PC
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:26:22 pm »

A few question about Phocus PC. I'm sure the answers to these are obvious to everyone else but . . . . . . Uhhhhhhhh . . . . . .

1. How do you rotate an image 90degrees? According to the (Mac) manual "The Straighten function has quick 90° buttons as well as a slider that allows
a finer adjustment of +20° to -20° shift in orientation."  See #2

2. Where is the "straighten function"?

3. Under preferences "Initial approval level". Changed it to yellow but still comes up as green. Am I missing something?

4. Under preferences: "Render medium resolution image on graphic adapter". What medium resolution image?

5. Export to DNG does nothing. Goes to the export panel and sits there. Am I missing something?

6. When tethered, setting WB on camera  has no effect even when "As Shot" is selected. Why?

Thank you,

David Jay

Nick-T

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:45:03 pm »

Quote from: davidjay
A few question about Phocus PC. I'm sure the answers to these are obvious to everyone else but . . . . . . Uhhhhhhhh . . . . . .

David I'm a Mac Phocus user so can only answer from that perspective. I believe the PC version currently lacks a few of the Mac features which might explain some of what you are seeing.

1. How do you rotate an image 90degrees? According to the (Mac) manual "The Straighten function has quick 90° buttons as well as a slider that allows

The rotate function is under the "crop and orientation" tool probably under the adjustments tab (unless you have moved it). If you are not seeing a straighten slider under the constrain pop down then it's a yet to be added feature. The straighten tool is third from the left in the main viewer window, again if it aint there then it aint been added yet ..
3. Under preferences "Initial approval level". Changed it to yellow but still comes up as green. Am I missing something?
Try changing the default approval level on the back before tethering.
5. Export to DNG does nothing. Goes to the export panel and sits there. Am I missing something?
Hmm DNG exports are very fast.. have you checked the folder you are exporting to? (I know it sounds obvious). If they are not there then it sounds like a bug..

6. When tethered, setting WB on camera  has no effect even when "As Shot" is selected. Why?
This is pretty standard behaviour, when tethered WB is controlled from the software.
Hope that helps
Nick-T

[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

VanKou

• http://www.vankou.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:21:49 pm »

i have not tried the rotate tool.  I think there must be a bug with the approval level.  The relevant menu item was also miss-spelled.  

I was also wondering about DNG, it does not give you a tick mark when is done, but it did create a DNG file.  However, I was not happy with its quality when was opened by camera raw.  Tiff-16 is the best option I think.

It has lots of little issues here and there, which is expected for a 1.0 release. However I do think that the color rendering is better.

Quote from: Nick-T
David I'm a Mac Phocus user so can only answer from that perspective. I believe the PC version currently lacks a few of the Mac features which might explain some of what you are seeing.

The rotate function is under the "crop and orientation" tool probably under the adjustments tab (unless you have moved it). If you are not seeing a straighten slider under the constrain pop down then it's a yet to be added feature. The straighten tool is third from the left in the main viewer window, again if it aint there then it aint been added yet ..

Try changing the default approval level on the back before tethering.

Hmm DNG exports are very fast.. have you checked the folder you are exporting to? (I know it sounds obvious). If they are not there then it sounds like a bug..

This is pretty standard behaviour, when tethered WB is controlled from the software.
Hope that helps
Nick-T

davidjay

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:38:19 am »

Thanks for the replies Nick and VanKou.

The "rotate" function does not appear under the "crop and orientation" tool . . . . or anywhere that I can see. The straighten tool also does not exist. I hope I'm wrong here because it's pretty unbelievable that a function as simple and necessary as rotate 90 degrees has been left out, even of a version 1.0 program. (I was shooting from a ladder directly over the model during a fashion shoot last week. The camera was obviously unable to tell which way it was facing and the images came up on the monitor vertical instead of horizontal as intended. No way to rotate them to the correct orientation. Client not amused when I suggested turning his head 90 degrees). I'm sure I've missed something here?

Export to DNG definitely not working on MY machine. CPU usage in Task Manager shows nothing happening as well. All other modes work.

#4. Under preferences: "Render medium resolution image on graphic adapter". What medium resolution image? Anyone?

Thank you,

David Jay

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:21:24 am »

from the Phocus for Windows 1.0 Readme

Functionality Level
The functionality level of Phocus version 1.0 for Windows is to be approximately compared with Phocus 1.0 for the Mac platform. Support for foreign languages, image rotation, custom white balance, overlay and user registration is not yet available. As well as - undo/redo of adjustments, custom sorting of thumbnails, show crop on thumbnails, re-arranging folders under “Favorites”, customization of “Toolbar”. All these features and functionalities will be available in future releases of Phocus for Windows.

From Phocus for Windows 1.0 Readme located at the bottom is "Functionality Level" Image rotation is not included in this release but will in Phocus for Windows 1.1

This was in included in Phocus for Mac in version 1.1 and will included in the future release for Phocus for Windows.

I will notify the software engineers of this. Meanwhile Nick's suggestion is correct:  Try changing the default approval level on the back before tethering.

4. Under preferences: "Render medium resolution image on graphic adapter". What medium resolution image?
I am not certain and I have sent your question to Support in Denmark, When I have a reply I will post it.

I believe I responded to this in another forum:

"Hasselblad is aware of this and the "Export to DNG" has been fixed and will be available shortly in 1.0.1 bugfix release."

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

When tethered, we anticipate that you will be neutralizing your image in Phocus or selecting one of 6 Hasselblad Presets or one of your own Custom created Presets.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:22:21 am by Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS »
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:32:00 am »

It's used to speed up image rendering below 100%.
If you have a good graphics adaptor you should check this button.

Paul
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

VanKou

• http://www.vankou.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:49:22 am »

Paul:

we need more build in presets.  The portrait preset is too warm.  We need something that produces natural skin tones.  CaptureOne 4.5 (which I use with my Canon gear) produces wonderful skin tones with some of the phase one color profiles that are included.

Overall, I think Phocus is a great improvement.  In my views the color looks better than flexcolor.  Have you made any improvements in that area?   I am glad to see that I can tether my V96C with it.
VanKou

davidjay

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:03:35 am »

Paul,

Thank you for clearing that all up. Appreciated.

David Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up