Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro 10.5.6 - 1Ds3 Tethered update  (Read 5993 times)

arashm

Macbook Pro 10.5.6 - 1Ds3 Tethered update
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:33:52 pm »

Hello everyone
I'm starting a new tread as the old one is from a while ago.
The 10.5.6 OSX update has done wonders for tethered shooting with the Canon 1Ds3
the speed the captures come in through USB is definitely on par with Firewire DB speed.
I'm shooting in C1-4.5 on the new 2.4GHz (4gb ram 320Gig 7200 RPM)and from capture to fully loaded and rendered is just under 2 seconds.
I will test out the older silver 2.2 macbookpro later on tonight, but I would imagine the USB driver would have the same effect on that machine as well.
am

Snook

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:36:13 pm »

Quote from: arashm
Hello everyone
I'm starting a new tread as the old one is from a while ago.
The 10.5.6 OSX update has done wonders for tethered shooting with the Canon 1Ds3
the speed the captures come in through USB is definitely on par with Firewire DB speed.
I'm shooting in C1-4.5 on the new 2.4GHz (4gb ram 320Gig 7200 RPM)and from capture to fully loaded and rendered is just under 2 seconds.
I will test out the older silver 2.2 macbookpro later on tonight, but I would imagine the USB driver would have the same effect on that machine as well.
am

I thought it was an equipment problem not a firmware or update to software problem..
Can some one re-affirm this??
Maybe the new Mac Books have a different Hardware usb port?
Thanks for any information...
Snook

csp

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:43:06 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I thought it was an equipment problem not a firmware or update to software problem..
Can some one re-affirm this??
Maybe the new Mac Books have a different Hardware usb port?
Thanks for any information...
Snook

YES it is true :-))  just installed 10.5.6 on a old 17"macbook pro

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:29 am »

Quote from: csp
YES it is true :-))  just installed 10.5.6 on a old 17"macbook pro

i just downloaded os 10.5.6, and tried it with the canon mk3- tethered to a 2.4 17inch (last gen) macbookpro, 4 gigs ram.

a big improvement!

shots take 2 sec to ruff preview- another 2 secs slightly sharper (enough to see what you are shooting clearly), then 2 more to focused.
shoots 8 shots at 5fps, the 2 secs to another two shots etc, continously.
i also tried just shooting on single shot, about 1 frame every 1/2 sec or so (probably a shoot speed i would often do), and got to about 16 shots before it stalled, but cleared quickly after that.

that must the best we could expect out of usb.

very happy. now i dont need to get rid of my non-glossy 17 inch for a while.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:16:24 pm »

Doug Peterson, our tech in Miami, just finished testing the Canon 1Ds Mark III on OSX 10.5.6 and 10.5.5.  The results are quite amazing!  It looks like 10.5.6 will vastly improve tether speeds.  Please take a look at our results:

http://www.captureintegration.com/tests/canon/

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:38:55 pm »

does it improve the speed of the usb port in general? om my power mac quad 4x2,5 with motorola i couldnt measure any improvement of the usb port with 10.5.6. should ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:40:09 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Quote from: rainer_v
does it improve the speed of the usb port in general? om my power mac quad 4x2,5 with motorola i couldnt measure any improvement of the usb port with 10.5.6. should ?

The improvement is with OSX's handling of the USB driver. We have only tested on our Mac Pro and MacBookPro, so I don't know if the improvements are for instance limited to Intel processor machines or certain generations. Anyone have any information on that?

This improvement though should improve the speed of any USB device which has enough processing power to saturate the USB channel. So for instance cheaper USB thumb-stick drives might not see the same performance increase as high end external USB drives. This is just a theory though; anyone have specific numbers on gear other than cameras shooting tethered?

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio

ziocan

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:04:32 pm »

The new OSX update, actually improved tethered speed also with others cameras by about 50% to 60%. That is actually very welcome.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:44:57 pm »

When do you think we will see this Version 4.6 of C1Pro? I noticed you were using it for the test

Henry Goh

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:02:50 pm »

Quote from: DavidP
When do you think we will see this Version 4.6 of C1Pro? I noticed you were using it for the test

next week

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 06:41:42 am »

Interesting even with my P25 plus back yesterday tethered seemed faster and this is firewire not USB. Also one thing happened which i found useful to some . The MBP battery died on the computer and obviously everything went down. Than plugged in the AC for it and rebooted . Fired up C1 and it was exactly where i left off and was able to continue shooting and the one image i thought for sure did not make it through was there. Lesson learned stop lending my kids my power cord. LOL

I did have to re-calibrate my WB though so be careful of that
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:42:53 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:34:10 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Interesting even with my P25 plus back yesterday tethered seemed faster and this is firewire not USB. Also one thing happened which i found useful to some . The MBP battery died on the computer and obviously everything went down. Than plugged in the AC for it and rebooted . Fired up C1 and it was exactly where i left off and was able to continue shooting and the one image i thought for sure did not make it through was there. Lesson learned stop lending my kids my power cord. LOL

I did have to re-calibrate my WB though so be careful of that

Until 4.5 it out for a while and proved stable for tethered production, I'll continue with 3.7 on set.  Of the photographers and techs I know who are busy 4.5 4.5.2 etc. has some bugs and is slow to render previews so if your busy, have a lot riding on production, stick with what works and let others do the beta testing.

Even working non tethered and using 4.5.2 for processing it produces a very nice look on the Canon and Nikon files but continues to have some bugs, like setting default sharpness and making the preferences stick and honestly could use a more simple interface along with single channel color corrections.  The color editor is ok, if you realy want to fine tune a look you'll spend a lot of time with the dropper trying to get the small details right.  I've processed way over 10,000 files in 4.5.2 and did it for the look, but the interface can make youi really weary.

But, back to the original thread which is tethering a 1ds3 to a macbookpro, using EOS utility with Apple 10.56 on a new powerbook is faster, but still not near as fast as working with windows on an apple, or better using a dedicated windows machine.

EOS utility is stable in both mac and windows and gives great previews.

Snook

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:47:09 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Until 4.5 it out for a while and proved stable for tethered production, I'll continue with 3.7 on set.  Of the photographers and techs I know who are busy 4.5 4.5.2 etc. has some bugs and is slow to render previews so if your busy, have a lot riding on production, stick with what works and let others do the beta testing.

Even working non tethered and using 4.5.2 for processing it produces a very nice look on the Canon and Nikon files but continues to have some bugs, like setting default sharpness and making the preferences stick and honestly could use a more simple interface along with single channel color corrections.  The color editor is ok, if you realy want to fine tune a look you'll spend a lot of time with the dropper trying to get the small details right.  I've processed way over 10,000 files in 4.5.2 and did it for the look, but the interface can make youi really weary.

But, back to the original thread which is tethering a 1ds3 to a macbookpro, using EOS utility with Apple 10.56 on a new powerbook is faster, but still not near as fast as working with windows on an apple, or better using a dedicated windows machine.

EOS utility is stable in both mac and windows and gives great previews.
I have been shooting for 2 weeks straight with 1DsMII and P30 AFDII and RZIIProD Catalogue (some 30-40) pictures a day ##### frames and NOT one hicup.
Previews are in coming as fast as I can shoot..:+}
Just updated to 10.5.6 and things are even smoother..

PS.. the Floating window on a separate monitor is a god send, LOVE it....:+} :wuv:
Nothing better than seeing the images come in by themseves on my ACD 30 incher!!! If your light is good...:+}

Not sure what tech you are talking to or what they are working with.. But Zero Problems here.

Nothing to be scared about either if you are backing up on the fly like I do...

Sometimes the hand tool will not work or some tools, but I click on another tool bar and back and then it works again... But no big deal!!

Snook
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:50:29 am by Snook »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:31:44 pm »

Until 4.5 is out for a while and proved stable for tethered production, I'll continue with 3.7 on set.  Of the photographers and techs I know who are busy 4.5 4.5.2 etc. has some bugs and is slow to render previews so if your busy, have a lot riding on production, stick with what works and let others do the beta testing.

Quote from: Snook
I have been shooting for 2 weeks straight with 1DsMII and P30 AFDII and RZIIProD Catalogue (some 30-40) pictures a day ##### frames and NOT one hicup.
Previews are in coming as fast as I can shoot..:+}
Just updated to 10.5.6 and things are even smoother..

PS.. the Floating window on a separate monitor is a god send, LOVE it....:+} :wuv:
Nothing better than seeing the images come in by themseves on my ACD 30 incher!!! If your light is good...:+}

Not sure what tech you are talking to or what they are working with.. But Zero Problems here.

Snook

In our experience both of these quotes are equally valid. On some computers/setups 4.5.2 has been absolutely rock solid; on other computers/setups there have been some minor stability problems. But I should be very clear that I fully understand that one-crash-per-day can be equally considered "minor" instability or "a crashing piece of useless junk" depending on the type of shooter, the stress of the situation and what you're comparing it too.

As for 4.6 it is not released to the public and therefore I will limit my comments both to respect the "private" part of "private beta" and because nothing is for sure until it is 1) released to the public and 2) is tested by a variety of our customers in a variety of situations and with different cameras/computers/setups. I won't comment on release time-frames because plans can change and no promise is better than a broken promise, but it is coming sooner rather than later.

However, I can hint that a lot of work has been put into increased stability, speed, and it looks like that work has paid off. Also one brand new feature will make a big difference to the feeling of speed/smoothness/responsiveness of tethered shooting.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:33:18 pm by dougpetersonci »

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:38 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
In our experience both of these quotes are equally valid. On some computers/setups 4.5.2 has been absolutely rock solid; on other computers/setups there have been some minor stability problems. But I should be very clear that I fully understand that one-crash-per-day can be equally considered "minor" instability or "a crashing piece of useless junk" depending on the type of shooter, the stress of the situation and what you're comparing it too.

As for 4.6 it is not released to the public and therefore I will limit my comments both to respect the "private" part of "private beta" and because nothing is for sure until it is 1) released to the public and 2) is tested by a variety of our customers in a variety of situations and with different cameras/computers/setups. I won't comment on release time-frames because plans can change and no promise is better than a broken promise, but it is coming sooner rather than later.

However, I can hint that a lot of work has been put into increased stability, speed, and it looks like that work has paid off. Also one brand new feature will make a big difference to the feeling of speed/smoothness/responsiveness of tethered shooting.

I'm the first to admit, my time with tethered capture and 4.5 is limited, so I wouldn't consider myself and expert on 4.5 or 4.5.2 or 4.6 capture.   Once I saw some issues with the first release I thought it would be best to wait to use it for tethering, with the phase and the canon cameras.

I'm not the only person that is busy that feels that way and the people I talked to are very busy with a lot on the line, so there is  no need taking any chances with a pressured project until everything is worked out.

I have processed over 19,000 files in 4.5.2 so I somewhat know my way around the program in that regard and it needs some bug fixes and clean up of the interface.  Just the copy and apply settings Icons and not in the most convenient place and one thing you have to give adobe  credit for in lightroom is the interface is fast, easy to learn and intuitive.

Now, saying that if I thought I could get a better result from lightroom I would haven't taken the extra time to process in 4.5.2 so that says something for Phase's color response and look.

C1 pro is good software, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement especially in single channel or single color corrections and the ease of the interface, but I have to stress it's obviously a software in the early stages and regardless of what works well for some people I ran across some fairly major obstacles that maybe 4.6 will address, maybe not.

You do have to give Phase credit for making a software that is not just proprietary to their cameras but works with a lot of other files.  If you shoot multiple cameras and platforms is nice to have one interface, though I do wish the interface was easier to work and learn.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 06:29:32 pm »

I have processed over 19,000 files in 4.5.2 so I somewhat know my way around the program in that regard and it needs some bug fixes and clean up of the interface.  Just the copy and apply settings Icons and not in the most convenient place and one thing you have to give adobe  credit for in lightroom is the interface is fast, easy to learn and intuitive.

I know your issues are not limited to this specific issue, but I thought I'd just pass along a tip for this specific one since you brought it up.
- The copy and apply settings icon can be placed anywhere within the toolbar (left, center, right). This is limited to the top of the screen.
- The adjustments clipboard can be floated and placed anywhere on the screen. There is a copy and apply button at the bottom of the adjustments clipboard.
- The default keyboard shortcuts for copy and apply settings are Apple-Shift-C and Apple-Shift-V (any keyboard shortcut can be customized)
- you can also use the Copy and Apply cursor (keyboard shortcut "shift-a") to click on the thumbnail you want to Apply onto rather than have to select the icon and the Apply

It's a shame we missed you at the first batch of online training classes we ran for 4.5. We'll probably run another set after 4.6 is released. There are so many small customizations and tweaks that make 4.X so much faster to work in. And it beats the pants out of improvising your solutions as-you-go.

bcooter

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 01:21:08 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
It's a shame we missed you at the first batch of online training classes we ran for 4.5. We'll probably run another set after 4.6 is released. There are so many small customizations and tweaks that make 4.X so much faster to work in. And it beats the pants out of improvising your solutions as-you-go.

Doug Peterson

Doug,

I appreciate the invitation, but working a schedule around a class is somewhat difficult.

When you work on deadline, it's always a time vs. quality battle.

Do you try a new software, take time to learn all the nuances just because it gives 10% better images, run the risk of glitches, or do you quickly run through your current workflow and worry about it later?

With this project and 19,000 files to edit, then process, then re-edit, I started in light-room because it would accept Phase, Canon, Nikon and Leica files and I shot all 4 systems, (though primarily Canon and Nikon).

The first stage of any project is the web galleries which I guess is the modern equivalent of contact sheets.  I started with light-room and after about 6 hours of work just didn't like the look.  I love the interface of light-room 2 and though adobe can write some very complicated interfaces, light-room is very well thought out.

What I didn't love, even downloading the various sets of light-room profiles was the color look.  It just didn't get close to the native Canon and Nikon processors dpp and NX, so I downloaded 4.5.2 and gave it a try.

The look of 4.52 is good, though it required a new 8 core mac to run it with any speed, so there goes another 1/2 day and of course  $5,000+.

In working 4.5.2 I did learn you can customize the interface and move some of the switches, learn the quick keys, etc. but it still starts out complicated and every hour spent learning is another hour out of my life I won't get back.  It does make you wonder if phase, (or all the hardware/software makers) has ever set down cold and tried to work a huge volume of files from different cameras.

Why shoot different cameras, because we all live in megapixel fear.  It's been beat into our heads for years by showing swatches of charts or brick buildings that medium format back x, is much better than dslr Y, and dslr Y is a larger file than dslr Z.  You see it all the time on every forum, every manufacturer's website trying with all their might to prove to you that more megapixels equal a better photograph and for the majority of the real world that just isn't so.

I don't know about others but I start every project with the largest mpx camera I can use for the project and if it's a fast pace project I usually end up shooting the majority of it with the fastest and easiest camera.  The client selects will always be the most spontaneous images, not the "hold still, don't move, don't change that pose photograph".

Regardless the first processing is the first look.  You want it nice, hell you want it great, but you also do not have the time to take a large volume of files and do 12 photoshop actions to correct each color, or hold back shadows, add detail, kill noise, etc. etc.  You can do it, but no client is going to wait 11 weeks for web galleries, no photographer can invest 11 weeks to process so for the first look it is always a compromise.

Actually, it makes you wonder if any of the camera makers really work their systems top to bottom in the real world.  You want to learn focus, color response, highlight recovery, capable higher iso, mixed light, then shoot in a pressured situation for any period and you will quickly understand the strength and the weakness of each system.  Canon's focus, Nikon's complicated menu, the Phase wb under mixed light, all of these can go from useful to nightmarish under pressure.  In fact the thing I learned (actually always knew) that an in focus 12mpx image has ten times the detail of an soft or out of focus 31mpx photograph.

You also learn that on huge production days, a camera can wear you down, not because of weight but just usefulness.  Nothing kills a buzz quicker than to get the shot set up, everybody in the room knows it's "there" and you look at the first 4 files and they are 3" back-focused.    So you do it again, never quite as well as that first spontaneous moment.    In today's double the project for the same price economy I'm getting a new thought as to how I select a camera.  If it's in studio with thousands of watts and nobody is flying through the air,  then load up the digital back (unless you have moire issues), but once you step more than three feet out of the studio door, leave the digital backs on the shelf, or you'll just beat yourself to death.

Put this down as just one person's opinion, because I'm sure others feel different, but from my experience the camera that allows you to get the shot, is much more important than the camera that doesn't allow you the time or the flexibility to finish the client's wish list.

Now with the new Nikon d3x I'm sure there will be 10,000 comparisons of walls, eyeballs, color charts and trees proving that the d3x is either better or worse than (you can fill in the blanks here for any type of camera).  None of this means anything unless the tests are the way you exactly work.

But we're talking processing and yes 4.5.2 or 4.6 or whatever version it ends up to be is good software, but not great especially if it takes classes to learn the basics, especially with Adobe's light-room hovering high overhead as an example of a ten minute learning interface and especially since little Iridiens Raw Developer will process files as beautiful as any film ever devised.  In fact it's just a shame that RD doesn't have the development money and time of the bigger companies because for single image processing it's just off the scale prettier.  

Anyway, my 19,000 files are processed and delivered for review though yesterday I saw something very interesting with 4.5.2.  I went back to the a folder to select an image and all the processing parameters are gone, as if I had never adjusted a single file, luckily the images are processed and on web galleries, but what a nightmare if all that adjustment work has disappeared.  

I firmly believe with digital capture we are in the very early stages of capturing and workflow.  Canons tether well but nothing like the Phase (with 3.7), Nikons tether clunky, all medium format backs (that are on the market today) have challenged lcd's and low base isos., and software seems to be an ever moving work in progress.   This is  just repeating what we've all said for years, but somewhere, somehow digital capture, especially in post processing has to become more standardized and easier.

Other than photoshop, there is no real standards for digital capture and post processing.    Nothing like the film days where you knew the response and consistency of  a certain  film, the lab knew how to process,  the delivery methods were standard and the time investment from the photographer was limited to maybe 1or 2 hours at the lab vs. 33 hours staring into a computer screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up