Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multishot vs. scanning  (Read 7900 times)

Photostudent

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 01:52:36 am »

Reply from Scanback user required in this discussion.

anyone????

yaya

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 03:02:36 am »

The one plus point going for scanning backs is the size of the capture area. Most will cover the full 4X5 area which means one can use any old 4X5 lens without having to calculate a new focal length.

However IMHO with the new 50+MP single shot digital backs we are nearing a point were any advantages that multi-shot or scanning backs may have will become practically irrelevant, especially considering the speed and simplicity for most applications.

Yair

ynp

• http://
Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 05:06:38 am »

Dear Yair,

It is a very interesting information.

Have you checked how the new Leaf-10 shoots fabric and other moiré prone substances?
Did you or the Leaf engineers compare how the AFI-10 -Aptus-10 compete with multi - shot backs from Sinar and Hasselblad?
Can we hope to get moiré free images?

Thank you,
Yevgeny

Quote from: yaya
However IMHO with the new 50+MP single shot digital backs we are nearing a point were any advantages that multi-shot or scanning backs may have will become practically irrelevant, especially considering the speed and simplicity for most applications.

Yair

BobDavid

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 09:21:13 am »

Quote from: yaya
The one plus point going for scanning backs is the size of the capture area. Most will cover the full 4X5 area which means one can use any old 4X5 lens without having to calculate a new focal length.

Yair

I don't think a 50 MP back will be able to hold a candle to a 39 MP multi-shot capture, both in terms of sharpness and color fidelity.

juicy

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 09:51:36 am »

According to Victor mag Hasselblad are planning to expand their multishot line to 31mp and 50mp backs (if possible).

edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:05:18 am by juicy »

David Klepacki

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:33 am »

All single shot backs have color moire, even the 50MP backs.  This is because any single shot back captures only 25% of the red and blue color information, and 50% of the green color information.  For example, a 50MP single shot back can only capture 12.5MP worth of information in either the red or blue channels, and the missing 75% of the color information in these channels must be estimated post-capture.  No estimation can recover this missing information perfectly, and so color artifacts will ALWAYS be possible.   On the other hand, a 22MP 4-shot image will contain 22MP of captured color information for each of the red and blue channels (and green of course), which is almost double the amount of red and blue color information that is captured by a single shot 50MP back.  

A 16-shot back like the Sinar 54H delivers even more resolution and color information (ie, 88MP of captured color in each of the red, blue and green channels).  Even adding 4-shot capability to a 50MP back (ie, 50MP of captured color information each color channel) will still only deliver about 57% of the resolution and color information as compared to the 16-shot image.  To my knowledge, the 39MP and higher MP backs will not be capable of 16-shot.

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 03:07:58 am »

I have the Sinarback 54H and I just did a reproduction of a painting. Just for myself I did a 16-shot additional. I used a Rodenstock 60 HR. First here is an overview, than a crop from a 4-shot with 590 x 590 Pixel an than a crop from the 16-shot with 569 x 569 Pixel.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:09:27 am by Christopher Arnoldi »

ixpressraf

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 03:27:51 am »

I have done a lot of tests and always came to the same conclusion: nothing can compare to multishot..... only microstep(16 shot) on a sturdy studiostand will be better. Shot taken with my ixpress 384, still my most used back. I only use the H3d31II when i need to shoot at high iso such as 800 or 1600 iso. I also tried high iso on my canon but that was never as good as with the H3d 31II.

yaya

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 03:52:48 am »

Quote from: BobDavid
I don't think a 50 MP back will be able to hold a candle to a 39 MP multi-shot capture, both in terms of sharpness and color fidelity.

Please read my post again, thanks

Yair

henrikfoto

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 02:44:07 pm »

Thanks for many interesting comments. I still really miss to hear if someone has tested the modern scanning-backs and also the 16-shot backs.

Has anyone used and tested both?

Henrik
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up