Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Multishot vs. scanning  (Read 7903 times)

henrikfoto

Multishot vs. scanning
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:54:54 am »

Has anyone tested multishot-backs vs. modern scanning-backs like Betterlight?

Henrik

O.Ricter

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:43 am »

Quote from: henrikfoto
Has anyone tested multishot-backs vs. modern scanning-backs like Betterlight?

Henrik

Hi Henrik

Yes, I have tested both and nothing can beat the H3D-II 39 MS from Hasselblad.

In a still-life studio environment you can increase the color resolution of your captures by means of a unique multiple-exposure technique controlled by the optional 4*Res module on the H3D-II 39 MS. The result is maximum resolution and absolutely moiré free images. The H3D-II 39 MS comes with the 4*Res module already built in and is very easy to use.

henrikfoto

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:31:54 am »

Quote from: O.Ricter
Hi Henrik

In a still-life studio environment you can increase the color resolution of your captures by means of a unique multiple-exposure technique controlled by the optional 4*Res module on the H3D-II 39 MS. The result is maximum resolution and absolutely moiré free images. The H3D-II 39 MS comes with the 4*Res module already built in and is very easy to use.

Thank you. That is very interesting. Do you think the Hasselblad MS is even better than the 16 shots made before by Sinar and Imacon?

Henrik

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:32:26 am »

Dear O., Dear Henrik,

Not to be forgotten, the Sinarbacks multishot models have this possibility too, with the same quality and true colour information, without interpolation:

- The Sinarback 54 H is a 1-, 4- and 16-shot back, with a 22 MPx sensor. Using it with the 16-shot mode increases the (true) resolution by the factor 4 and gives a resolution of 88,8 MPx

- The Sinarback eVolution 75 H is a 1- and 4-shot back, with a 33 MPx sensor

In fact, most National Museums, Art Galleries, Libraries, etc ... have changed to the multishot technology years ago already. If you wish Henrik, I can PM you a reference list of some of them using it, possibly in your country.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: O.Ricter
Hi Henrik

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:33:27 am by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

henrikfoto

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:10:29 am »

Quote from: thsinar
Dear O., Dear Henrik,

Not to be forgotten, the Sinarbacks multishot models have this possibility too, with the same quality and true colour information, without interpolation:

- The Sinarback 54 H is a 1-, 4- and 16-shot back, with a 22 MPx sensor. Using it with the 16-shot mode increases the (true) resolution by the factor 4 and gives a resolution of 88,8 MPx

- The Sinarback eVolution 75 H is a 1- and 4-shot back, with a 33 MPx sensor

In fact, most National Museums, Art Galleries, Libraries, etc ... have changed to the multishot technology years ago already. If you wish Henrik, I can PM you a reference list of some of them using it, possibly in your country.

Best regards,
Thierry

Dear Thierry!

I would be happy to get a list from you.
I am also very interested in seeing some side-by-side shots with the 75H and the 54H in 16-shots mode.
Is that possible?

I am very interested in buying one of them.

My best

Henrik

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:33:23 am »

Dear Henrik,

I will send you a reference list with some of them: which country are you interested in?

I unfortunately don't have side-by-side comparison files of these 2 multishot backs.

Best regards,
Thierry

Dear Thierry!

I would be happy to get a list from you.
I am also very interested in seeing some side-by-side shots with the 75H and the 54H in 16-shots mode.
Is that possible?

I am very interested in buying one of them.

My best

Henrik
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

henrikfoto

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:09 am »

Dear Henrik,

I will send you a reference list with some of them: which country are you interested in?

I unfortunately don't have side-by-side comparison files of these 2 multishot backs.

Best regards,
Thierry

Norway would be fine.
But I guess you have seen both backs in action. Can you tell me what back you think make the best files?
Is it still the 54H?

Henrik

PdF

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:41 pm »

Is the 54H still available today ???

PdF
PdF

Cfranson

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:32:37 pm »

Quote from: PdF

PdF
It's not available new any longer, no. We have a used one for sale, and likely some others coming. Contact me via private message for more details if you wish.

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 06:01:03 pm »

Dear Philippe,

we have from time to time refurbished 54 H backs, but they are sold immediately and there is a waiting list for it.

Best regards,
thierry

Quote from: PdF

PdF
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 06:09:20 pm »

Henrik,

Frankly, when comparing the 16 shot with the 54H and the 4 shot with the 75H, I couldn't tell the difference in terms of details. I have however the feeling that the 16 shot file has a better modulation and "smoother" tonal values, but again, I haven't seen it side-by-side and with the same subject shot with both backs.

However, one thing is sure and very critical with the 54 H in 16-shot mode: you need to use the digital HR lenses to get these ultimate details.

Best regards,
Thierry

Norway would be fine.
But I guess you have seen both backs in action. Can you tell me what back you think make the best files?
Is it still the 54H?

Henrik
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:31:27 pm »

Henrik,

Frankly, when comparing the 16 shot with the 54H and the 4 shot with the 75H, I couldn't tell the difference in terms of details. I have however the feeling that the 16 shot file has a better modulation and "smoother" tonal values, but again, I haven't seen it side-by-side and with the same subject shot with both backs.

However, one thing is sure and very critical with the 54 H in 16-shot mode: you need to use the digital HR lenses to get these ultimate details.

Best regards,
Thierry
although i got fantastic results with the old hassy 3,5/100 on my modified contax 645 as well in 16 shot mode. sure the HR lenses will resolve more, but the 16shot delivered much much more detail than the 4shots. and every moire was gone, not just the color moires. i am still a big fan of the 54h and i think sinar should  follow the 4/16 shot path ....
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

David Klepacki

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 07:32:17 pm »

Henrik,

As mentioned above, the multishot backs outperform the scanning backs.  I use a Sinar 54H.  The 4-shot results are outstanding with rich colors and no artifacting. When extreme detail or large prints are needed, the 16-shot capability is there.  Taking 4-shot images is basically foolproof.  On the other hand, the 16-shot mode requires much more careful technique and equipment.  In 16-shot mode, the sensor is displaced by a half-pixel width (4.5 microns) in each direction to increase the resolution by a factor of 4 (2x in both horizontal and vertical dimensions).  You must make sure that your sensor is calibrated and checked frequently (easy manual process), but most of all you must have no vibration in your studio.  Even someone walking nearby in their bare feet during the 16-shot exposure can cause enough vibration to blur out the finest details.

Here is the basic math.  The 4-shot mode with the Sinar 54H (9 micron pixels) has a maximum resolving power of about 55 lp/mm.  With the 75H (7.2 micron pixels), it would be about 69 lp/mm.  These are very decent resolving capabilities, and there are a variety of lenses that can reach these abilities into the corners.  However, with 16-shot mode of the 54H, the maximum resolving power is now doubled to about 110 lp/mm.  So, not only is careful technique and the control of vibration absolutely critical, but the choice of lenses is much narrowed in order to reach this kind of resolving power into the corners.

So, 16-shot backs like the Sinar 54H offer the highest resolution for fixed position camera shooting (ie, non-stitching), but can be a PITA to get it right. The market for those who are willing to do 16-shot commercially was too small, so these backs were suspended from being manufactured.  I use the term "suspended" as opposed to "discontinued", since one of the engineers at Jenoptik recently told me that they would gladly produce more 54H backs if the demand was there.

David
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:33:32 pm by David Klepacki »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 07:40:05 pm »

Quote from: David Klepacki
Henrik,

As mentioned above, the multishot backs outperform the scanning backs.  I use a Sinar 54H.  The 4-shot results are outstanding with rich colors and no artifacting. When extreme detail or large prints are needed, the 16-shot capability is there.  Taking 4-shot images is basically foolproof.  On the other hand, the 16-shot mode requires much more careful technique and equipment.  In 16-shot mode, the sensor is displaced by a half-pixel width (4.5 microns) in each direction to increase the resolution by a factor of 4 (2x in both horizontal and vertical dimensions).  You must make sure that your sensor is calibrated and checked frequently (easy manual process), but most of all you must have no vibration in your studio.  Even someone walking nearby in their bare feet during the 16-shot exposure can cause enough vibration to blur out the finest details.

Here is the basic math.  The 4-shot mode with the Sinar 54H (9 micron pixels) has a maximum resolving power of about 55 lp/mm.  With the 75H (7.2 micron pixels), it would be about 69 lp/mm.  These are very decent resolving capabilities, and there are a variety of lenses that can reach these abilities into the corners.  However, with 16-shot mode of the 54H, the maximum resolving power is now doubled to about 110 lp/mm.  So, not only is careful technique and the control of vibration absolutely critical, but the choice of lenses is much narrowed in order to reach this kind of resolving power into the corners.

So, 16-shot backs like the Sinar 54H offer the highest resolution for fixed position camera shooting (ie, non-stitching), but can be a PITA to get it right. The market for those who are willing to do 16-shot commercially was too small, so these backs were suspended from being manufactured.  I use the term "suspended" as opposed to "discontinued", since one of the engineers at Jenoptik recently told me that they would gladly produce more 54H backs if the demand was there.

David

What id like to see is the 54h come back under a different guise with only 4 shot. I dont need the 16 shot and can do with the extra cost implementing it.  An affordable 22mp with 4 shot is what id like to see.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:40:36 pm by klane »

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:43 pm »

Dear Kyle,

there was such a "only 4-shot" SB 54 proposed some years back: the SB 54 Q (if my souvenir is right). It was not very successful, since the price difference was very little. In fact, the production costs were exactly the same.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: klane
What id like to see is the 54h come back under a different guise with only 4 shot. I dont need the 16 shot and can do with the extra cost implementing it.  An affordable 22mp with 4 shot is what id like to see.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

klane

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 09:25:44 pm »

Thierry that makes sense actually. Although, if sinar did release a new 22mp back with 4 shot like a 54h evolution, the price new could be significantly lower than the 75h Id assume.

I understand  that there might not be much interest for it though at this point. Most people that want the quality of multishot also want the higher res of the 75h.

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:24 pm »

The problem is that this sensor is not longer available.

Thierry

Although, if sinar did release a new 22mp back with 4 shot like a 54h evolution, the price new could be significantly lower than the 75h Id assume.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

klane

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 10:19:54 pm »

What about the dalsa 22? Not possible due to the slightly different dimensions?

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 10:26:13 pm »

certainly possible, but this means a complete new development and design, with all what is involved in R&D, in other words, the costs would be driven to the same level of the 33 MPx multishot, for sure. And one cannot even and simply take over the experience with the Dalsa 33 MPx sensor, since they are completely different.

Thierry

What about the dalsa 22? Not possible due to the slightly different dimensions?
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

Multishot vs. scanning
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:36 pm »

Thanks David, for your experience, and I do absolutely agree with all you say here.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: David Klepacki
Henrik,

David
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up