Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FRAMES?? Which and Where from..:+}Framing  (Read 2066 times)

Snook

FRAMES?? Which and Where from..:+}Framing
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:33:08 am »

Hello Guys , Never really seen this subject in here.
I am doing an exhibition and just finally found the Canvas I want to print on.
Printing on a HP Z3100. It was the only machine I could find where I live..
I just got the sample test prints back and they are Phenomenal!!
Printing to canvas is better than I imagined.
Thanks by the way for that suggestion from in here..:+]

In any case pretty happy with the results.
My main concern now is I am going to print these the maximum...:+{ 1m x 1m and maybe going to do some in strips like 1m X 2m.
The place that is going to be doing the prints frame but It looks rather cheesy when the fold the corner of canvas around the frame. At least I think so.
I am planning on asking between 1250.00 to 4500.00 us$ per picture and want the frames and framing to be the best possible in order to have a Polished porduct for my clients.
Was wondering if anybody knows of good Classy preferably metal frames? for this project...
And are there internet shops that mail frames and you have to put them together when they arrive.
I have very limited recourses where I live and usually they are on the classical side.
I have seem so people do Home made looing frames from wire or whatever that is not out of the picture if it looks nice.
I would love to hear any suggestion as it will be one of my first exhibitions where I will be selling the images and for a good amount of money.

I already have a base of people I know that will buy these pictures so I need to just prepare it.
Framing is the only thing missing in the pictures so to speak..:+]
Thanks in advance for any good suggestions what ever they me be.
Thanks
Snook

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »

When I do this kind of work I typically print with a black boarder that's wider then the stretcher bar, then stretch the canvas onto the stretcher bars using a gallery wrap (staples in the back). I think they display just fine like this, especially in a gallery; clean, neat, no staples showing, nothing to distract from the image.

When I want to dress them up some more I use simple floater frames. The black of the gallery wrapped sides works great for this too -- they really make the print seem to float off the wall. Classy and elegant.

Note that a gallery wrap uses somewhat more canvas than a standard wrap (staples in the side). A 100 cm image on 44" canvas leaves you just under 12 cm of margin, so less then 6cm a side. Most framers are going to want more like 8-10 cm of margin to make a gallery wrap. So before you do this it might be wise to talk to the person doing the stretching and make sure your print size doesn't exceed what the framer is comfortable with.
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.

Snook

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:56:51 pm »

Quote from: Bruce Watson
When I do this kind of work I typically print with a black boarder that's wider then the stretcher bar, then stretch the canvas onto the stretcher bars using a gallery wrap (staples in the back). I think they display just fine like this, especially in a gallery; clean, neat, no staples showing, nothing to distract from the image.

When I want to dress them up some more I use simple floater frames. The black of the gallery wrapped sides works great for this too -- they really make the print seem to float off the wall. Classy and elegant.

Note that a gallery wrap uses somewhat more canvas than a standard wrap (staples in the side). A 100 cm image on 44" canvas leaves you just under 12 cm of margin, so less then 6cm a side. Most framers are going to want more like 8-10 cm of margin to make a gallery wrap. So before you do this it might be wise to talk to the person doing the stretching and make sure your print size doesn't exceed what the framer is comfortable with.

Thank you Bruce..
Where I live when they do the Canvas, they folder is on the sides and it looks terrible.. That is why I am trying to find other alternatives are learning so they can try and do it here...?
Is there any where to show or demonstrate this to them. It is all how you cut it and fold I imagine.
This is a Family doing it out of their house and the only alternative that I have found where I live... In the Boon docks!
Thanks for your help
Snook

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:16 pm »

You might want to poke around at american frame.  They have a really nifty widget for creating custom frames and whatnot.  Then you assemble at home.

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:22:40 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Thank you Bruce..
Where I live when they do the Canvas, they folder is on the sides and it looks terrible.

Yes, it would. The folds should be on the top and bottom IMHO.

You can do this yourself. It's not that hard, but bigger canvases are harder to do of course. I'd start with some smaller ones just to learn how. And there are tutorials scattered about on the web. Here's one I just found on you tube for example. There are probably others that are better for your particular task at hand -- look around and see what you can find. And this tiny piece on Wikipedia shows what the folded and stapled corners should look like when you get done.
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:50:39 pm »

I have never seen anybody work so hard at stretching a canvas as that you tube girl!  Hours? You should be able to do that in 30 minutes max.  Interesting and very sturdy bars, but the lack of a tensioning system (such as with standard wedges) would make that canvas problematical down the road a few months when it sags.

If you need to work at that scale and your body is over 13 years old, you absolutely positively need an elevated table surface at least as wide as the canvas.  Minimal setup would be two fold-up utility tables side by side, possibly with a piece of plywood on top.  For inkjet prints cover the table top with soft plush towels taped or clamped at the sides.  There are those who can stretch canvases that size in the vertical position without destroying the print, I am not one of them.

PS for a beginner those corners are a giant PITA!  The closer you get to the corners the harder everything gets, you need to practice some on smallish frames with junk prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up