Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waking up for the Moon  (Read 3038 times)

Marlyn

Waking up for the Moon
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:09:09 am »

Early morning Pano of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House.  All Comments appreciated, especially about any technical aspects or defects that can be spotted.

Apart from trying to get the Moon under the bridge at dawn (the clounds didn't want to behave). This was also an exersize in taking some technique refinments I've been working on, out for a spin.

Canon 1DsMkIII,  90mm T/S Lens,  Tripod etc.    
3 Shot Stich, ISO 100, 20s @f10,  approx 6mm of front rise,  Canon 1DsMkIII,  90mm T/S Lens
(Pano setup is a RRS Rail, on top of a Manfrotto 300n clickstop rotator, using the RRS 55H ballhead as the 'leveler'  Working quite well.)

Silver Birch Studio

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverbirchstudio/
Waking up for the Moon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:37:31 am »

Don't you hate it when the moon, or sun, or whatever, won't cooperate?   Practically perfect, if only that moon had been either above or below the bridge...
~ Julie

Happy shooting!

Marlyn

Waking up for the Moon
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:52:19 pm »

Quote from: Silver Birch Studio
Don't you hate it when the moon, or sun, or whatever, won't cooperate?   Practically perfect, if only that moon had been either above or below the bridge...

Definatly

I actually quite like it 'just' peeking over the bridge like it is, and on the larger print it looks good.  (Printed this 20"x60" today, very happy with the detail in it, which was part of the exersize).

But yes, I agree, would of been MUCH better if it had been full over/under.

Only thing for it, try again next time !.  Unfortunatly its only about 3 or 4 days a year it sets in the right spot at the right time, and full.

jani

• Øyet
Waking up for the Moon
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:16:05 pm »

Quote from: Marlyn
But yes, I agree, would of been MUCH better if it had been full over/under.
Or without the bridge

I don't have anything useful to contribute. Sorry!
Jan

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Waking up for the Moon
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:32:24 pm »

That is stunning! Love the reflections on water, and the contrast between lower left and upper right corners in both colors and content.

Your tripod/head setup sounds like overkill for such a technically simple pano with no foreground objects. This could be shot handheld - well, not the 20 sec exposure

Not familiar with the lens, but I'd be shooting at the lens's sweet spot as this is quite flat focal plane. Was f10 necessary to achieve proper FOV?

For next time I'd try bracketing heavily. Even if you don't want to do it to tufuse or HDR later, you can freeze clouds (not moving in this shot though), flags and such. Then use the bracketed fast exposure for flags/clouds, long exposures for rest.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Waking up for the Moon
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:40:24 am »

Great image overall, moon notwithstanding!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Marlyn

Waking up for the Moon
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:57 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Great image overall, moon notwithstanding!

Mike.

Pano head could be overkill with no foreground, however even with it PS had all sorts of issues with stitching the 7 shot/portrait version of this.  Wouldn't line up part of the OperaHouse or a part of the Bridge correctly.  As it is only 2 bits to sit on the ball head, its not much to carry around.

The click-stop manfrotto head is just convinient.  Set it to the #degree's for overlap for that lens, and forget it.  same step every time.

I've found the best spot for the T/S is f10, just below the diffraction limit for the camera, good DoF and razor sharp.   It is possible sharper at f8, but not to my eye on any print.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up