Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile weirdness with i1 - PM 5.08  (Read 10652 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Profile weirdness with i1 - PM 5.08
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:30:33 pm »

I've been trying to build a profile for Harman Gloss FB for my 11880 and 7900.  My i1i0 table refuses to read in the charts with either my Rev A device or my Rev B UV-cut device.  So yesterday I printed out Atkinsons 1728 patch target for the i1, and read it manually with both devices.  The resulting profiles in ColorThink look terrible ... peaks and valleys throughout, and a gamut volume less than Harman's proflie for the 7880.  I tried a few various things, then finally tried to use the i1i0 to read in targets for my 7900 on Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta ... same problem.  Won't read with either device.

I've suspected the table has had an issue for some time, but thought the i1 devices were OK.  i1 diagnostics reports both devices and the table as passing, so  I'm not sure what is broken.

At this point I can't get a good profile.  Can this be an OS problem ... some conflict?  I think the machine is running OS X 10.5.2.  Is it an inking problem .. do I need to try a different media type?  Any suggestions or thoughts welcome.

Attached is a graph from ColorThink showing the 2 profiles from the 2 different i1 spectro's.

[attachment=10303:HarmanGraph.jpg]

bossanova808

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:21:53 pm »

Are you using anything on USB at the same time as the iO?

We have found with 5.0.8 and the iO that if you do *anything* over USB at the same time as using it, the iO will flake out completely.  It seems very very sensitive to bus timing issues.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:43:14 pm »

Tried removing everything from the USB bus, installed all the latest updates and and EFI firmware update for the Mac Pro.  

Reading the 1728 charts manually resulted in improved profiles but still odd with valleys at varioius points in the profiles.

The i0 table was successful at reading a 1728 patch from Harman Gloss FB, but resulting profile still had a couple of odd valleys.  They are in the same color range as the problems I saw when creating a profile for a 7880.

The table  would not read a 5202 target for Harman Gloss FB or Hahnamulee FAB.  It's been making some odd sounds since I got it, but they are definitely getting louder.  Going to take it down to the dealer this week ... it's had a problem since day 1 (no one would believe me), and the noise isn't normal.

That still doesn't explain why I can't get a good profile manually ... both spectro's bad?

Going to try this with a different computer and I have one other i1 Spectro to try. I've been making profiles for years now and never had a problem like this.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:03:22 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
That still doesn't explain why I can't get a good profile manually ...

You sure the profile is bad? ColorThink can have some oddities displaying sme profiles. Have you actually made a print?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:52:43 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
You sure the profile is bad? ColorThink can have some oddities displaying sme profiles. Have you actually made a print?

Never seen a profile with so many valleys and ridges.  Gamut volume from my 11880 is 15% smaller than Harmans profile they have for the 7880 which seems odd.  Haven't made prints yet ... the profile looks so bad I just can't believe it's good.

The targets are pretty dark, although  this is somewhat typical with 11880 targets I've printed before, but maybe I'm getting too much ink.  May try some different media types.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:57:16 pm »

Wayne,

Sorry for stupid question, have you done a nozzle check?

Best regards
Erik

Never seen a profile with so many valleys and ridges.  Gamut volume from my 11880 is 15% smaller than Harmans profile they have for the 7880 which seems odd.  Haven't made prints yet ... the profile looks so bad I just can't believe it's good.

The targets are pretty dark, although  this is somewhat typical with 11880 targets I've printed before, but maybe I'm getting too much ink.  May try some different media types.
Erik Kaffehr

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 04:15:02 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Wayne,

Sorry for stupid question, have you done a nozzle check?

Best regards
Erik

Yes, did a nozzle check, and having problems getting profiles for both the 7900 and 11880.

bossanova808

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »

Yes, did a nozzle check, and having problems getting profiles for both the 7900 and 11880.

The USB issue effects both just the Eye One Pro and the iO as far I can tell.  But if the USB is quiet and you're still having problems then you have a bigger issue.

The iO if making funny sounds may well be the drive belt underneath.  They can get a bit frayed and that makes for some friction.

It's possible your bulb in the Eye One is about to go - we started getting erratic results a couple of weeks before the bulb actually blew.  New bulb fixed it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 05:17:05 pm »

Quote from: bossanova808
The USB issue effects both just the Eye One Pro and the iO as far I can tell.  But if the USB is quiet and you're still having problems then you have a bigger issue.

The iO if making funny sounds may well be the drive belt underneath.  They can get a bit frayed and that makes for some friction.

It's possible your bulb in the Eye One is about to go - we started getting erratic results a couple of weeks before the bulb actually blew.  New bulb fixed it.

The noises aren't loud, but they are getting worse.  Headed in to the dealer to try it with their i1, they want to hear the noises as well.

Today I printed up the 1728 patch target on EEF with the 7900 to read in manually.  Took at least 20 tries for each of the 1st 3 lines of the target before they read.  Actually skipped ahead and read 10 or 12 other lines, then went back, finally got it to read those 3.  I'm curious as to what makes it determine there is an "error", especially with the table.  Does it error out if the delta is too "different" from the reference file?  Is it because it misses the contrast change?  Is it because the delta between 2 consecutive patches is too small?

Good news is the resulting profile graphs more what I expect in ColorThink with a nice large gamut volume, also what I would expect to see, so I can try printing some prints.

Wondering what the "erratic" symptoms you experienced were.

bossanova808

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

Wondering what the "erratic" symptoms you experienced were.

Basically - profiles with wierd divots and shapes, from bad reads - bad spot reads of a 24 patch colorchecker confirmed it was reading erratically, sometimes ok, sometimes completely wrong.  Presumably a flickering in the bulb or something??

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »

Quote from: bossanova808
Basically - profiles with wierd divots and shapes, from bad reads - bad spot reads of a 24 patch colorchecker confirmed it was reading erratically, sometimes ok, sometimes completely wrong.  Presumably a flickering in the bulb or something??

Weird divots and shapes ... good description of some of my recent attempts.

Oddly enough, today I ventured down to my dealer and used there RevD EyeOne UVcut with my table, and read my targets in fine. Put my i1 back in, and it failed after reading about 60%.  Delta E difference between the two devices on the patches that were read was less than .2, most were only about .1

So I decided to try reading some specific patches repeatedly to see if the i1 was erratic, set it on the white tile when asked ... error.  Ran i1 diagostics - tests failed.  Same test worked fine yesterday (and several days before that).  It sounds like the i1 may have been flakey ... of and on .. possibly for a long time - similar to what you described.

Anyway, got my profiles made with their device, but when my dealer talked to the rep, they are suspecting the table may be one of the early ones that did have some issues.

At least things are starting to make a little sense now.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:05:58 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up