Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filmoplast P90  (Read 1998 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Filmoplast P90
« on: December 13, 2008, 07:04:46 pm »

I just finished mounting and matting about a dozen prints.  In the video, Bill Atkinson separates the backing from the P90 tape in one magic movement.  Why does it take me five $#@* minutes to do that with each piece? I feel like I have mittens on.

I'll bet Chris took at least 30 takes of that shot.  Or is there some secret that I don't know about?

And now that I look at the box I got from Light Impressions, it says Filmoplast P, not P90.  Did they send me (or did I order) the wrong stuff?

Please tell me before I go nuts.

Dave Chew

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Filmoplast P90
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 07:48:49 pm »

Quote from: dchew
I just finished mounting and matting about a dozen prints.  In the video, Bill Atkinson separates the backing from the P90 tape in one magic movement.  Why does it take me five $#@* minutes to do that with each piece? I feel like I have mittens on.

I'll bet Chris took at least 30 takes of that shot.  Or is there some secret that I don't know about?

And now that I look at the box I got from Light Impressions, it says Filmoplast P, not P90.  Did they send me (or did I order) the wrong stuff?

Please tell me before I go nuts.

Dave Chew
P90 is much thicker, plain old P is super thin and hopelessly dainty for invisible mends on thin paper documents.  Bet you're having trouble getting it started, much easier with P90 than P.  I was surprised to find out that P90 has a rather non-neutral pH, almost 9.  Is that really archival?  I tried that stuff for a while, found dry mounting more to my liking.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Filmoplast P90
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »

Thanks Bill.

So I got the wrong stuff.  As for pH, I wasn't too worried about it, especially since watching the Henry Wilhelm interview.  

A pH of 9 isn't terribly high, and I bet pH is much less important than oxidizers like ozone and UV.

Dave Chew
Pages: [1]   Go Up