Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing monitor profile between 2 PCs  (Read 6453 times)

elauq

Sharing monitor profile between 2 PCs
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:37:11 am »

Will a monitor profile built on one PC work on another machine if the same monitor is connected up to the second machine?  The two PCs have different video cards.

Thanks for the help.

Farmer

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:54:44 am »

Quote from: elauq
Will a monitor profile built on one PC work on another machine if the same monitor is connected up to the second machine?  The two PCs have different video cards.

Thanks for the help.

No.

It probably won't even load and even if it did it would be wrong.  You need to calibrate each PC and each monitor combination.
Phil Brown

sandymc

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:05:14 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
No.

It probably won't even load and even if it did it would be wrong.  You need to calibrate each PC and each monitor combination.

Assuming that it is a standard profile (e.g., .ICC or .ICM) it will certainly load, and will be approximately correct, assuming that your color management environment is ok. Although its better to calibrate each display board and monitor combination separately, the variance in display board calibration is far, far less than the variation between monitors.

Note that this does assume that you have a clean color management environment on both systems - no LUT management software or anything like that. If you have different, non-standard software on each machine, all bets are off.

Sandy

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:34:20 pm »

Quote from: sandymc
Assuming that it is a standard profile (e.g., .ICC or .ICM) it will certainly load, and will be approximately correct, assuming that your color management environment is ok. Although its better to calibrate each display board and monitor combination separately, the variance in display board calibration is far, far less than the variation between monitors.

It won't necessarily load.  Some software will identify that it's not correct for the GPU and therefore not load it (OP specified different GPUs from one machine to the other).
Phil Brown

sandymc

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 12:17:17 am »

Quote from: Farmer
It won't necessarily load.  Some software will identify that it's not correct for the GPU and therefore not load it (OP specified different GPUs from one machine to the other).

Well, I've never seen an ICC profile that specifies a GPU - so please post an example.......

Sandy

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:39:32 am »

Quote from: sandymc
Well, I've never seen an ICC profile that specifies a GPU - so please post an example.......

Sandy

When some software (spyder for example) loads in profiles for a GPU it has associated the profile with a specific GPU.  If they don't match, it may not load in.  How do I know this?  Because I just changed my GPU about 2 weeks ago and the profile for the old one would not load in.  Of course, I didn't really care because I was going to recalibrate, but nonetheless it made me aware that some software has this behaviour.

It's not a big deal.  The answer to the OP is that they should make a new profile for the other PC since it's running a different GPU (even if it wasn't, you would ideally make a new one anyway).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:31:02 am by Farmer »
Phil Brown

elauq

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 02:51:54 am »

I asked because my Sony Artisan profiles nicely under Windows XP, but because Sony drivers don't work under Vista 64-bit (where CS4 is being used), I thought the profile could be copied over to the Vista machine.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 07:36:17 am »

Quote from: elauq
I asked because my Sony Artisan profiles nicely under Windows XP, but because Sony drivers don't work under Vista 64-bit (where CS4 is being used), I thought the profile could be copied over to the Vista machine.

Probably not going to fly because if the differences in graphic cards etc. Not a good idea although I understand you're stuck here. If you could dual boot and actually do the work on the same machine, might (and probably would) work. The Artisan is doing all the calibration internally so considering you're using such a high quality reference display, it might be worth a try. Do you really want to do this once a month however?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

elauq

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 11:50:15 pm »

I like the dual-boot suggestion (to be performed monthly), especially if XP and the Sony driver can be loaded onto a USB flash.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up