Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New low price for teh Canon 5100 and 6100 printers  (Read 11565 times)

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
New low price for teh Canon 5100 and 6100 printers
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:42:29 pm »

About a month ago, I bought a Canon 6100 printer for $2150. This included $500 worth of paper and free delivery.  I thought that was a very good deal, but it seems that today, Canon dropped the price on the 5100 and 6100.  Atlex sent me an email showing the 5100 for $999. Plus there is a $200 cash rebate and $300 worth of paper.  The 6100 is $1499 plus $420 worth of paper. (Plus they give a bonus roll of 24"x100' paper.)

Does anyone know what is going on, because it is now cheaper to buy the 5100 just for the 90ml ink and paper than it is to buy those items alone. (I calculate the ink to be worth $600.)  Let alone have a set of print heads. I could use the ink, paper and heads, but does anyone know what to do with the 5100 printer once I take out what I need?  It seems a big waste.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:45:05 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein

StefBar

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:42:21 am »

I must say that you're pretty lucky! Here in Italy the lowest price for a Canon 5100 is around $2500... the best price I've seen in Europe is $1800! A couple weeks ago I met a Canon representative to discuss about the purchase of a 5100, but the price was even higher... he quoted me something like $2700!

I understand that there is little market for these printers in Italy and therefore prices can be higher than in the US, but I think that a difference of $1500 is a bit exaggerated. True, I sell enough prints to be able to afford such a price, but I don't want to charge my clients higher prices or to pay Canon a premium price just for being in Italy. For that price ($2500), I can have about 100 A3 printed by one of the best printing labs in Europe, including paper and proof prints. Complaining is one of the things that we Italians do all the time, but in this case I couldn't avoid it and I wish Canon would reconsider their pricing policy in Europe.

Alan, may I ask you a comment on the gamut of the 6100? I mainly print landscapes (I've been printing RA4 and Ilfochrome till a few months ago, but I decided to switch to digital and I'm considering buying the 5100 or an Epson 4880) and I noticed that sometimes inkjet prints seem to lack a bit of gamut on greens and blues... the samples that Canon provided me with were a bit disappointing in this regard, although it might have been due to weak profiling or proofing. Comments are very appreciated.

Thanks and greetings from Italy to everyone,

Stefano

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:21:10 pm »

Quote from: StefBar
...Alan, may I ask you a comment on the gamut of the 6100? I mainly print landscapes (I've been printing RA4 and Ilfochrome till a few months ago, but I decided to switch to digital and I'm considering buying the 5100 or an Epson 4880) and I noticed that sometimes inkjet prints seem to lack a bit of gamut on greens and blues... the samples that Canon provided me with were a bit disappointing in this regard, although it might have been due to weak profiling or proofing. Comments are very appreciated.

Thanks and greetings from Italy to everyone,

Stefano

I am very pleased with the results from the 6100. The gamut is very wide as far as I can tell.  I doubt that you'll see too much difference between competently made prints from any of the top printers.

I am not sure what the pricing policy is in Europe.  The only place I have seen this special low price on the Canons is from Atlex.com. I called them and there didn't seem to be any catch.  They are a well known company and I have bought ink jet supplies from them for years.

http://www.atlex.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?...mp;key=2157B002

If you consider that it is priced at $999 - $200 rebate - $300 in paper (list price) then the printer with 90ml ink carts is only $500. This includes free delivery although there might be a $60 tailgate fee if you don't have a loading dock in your house. ;-)   Considering that print heads list at $640 each ($1280), I think there will be a lot of 5100s bought just for ink, paper, and print heads.  

They say you need the serial number for a qualifying printer to "upgrade" - and I have one.  I was told the same thing last month when I bought my 6100 and then nobody asked for it.

Anyway, the reason I posted is simply to state that one can now buy a 5100 for less than the ink and paper that comes with it.  I really don't see how I can pass this up but find it very wasteful as I probably will just leave the printer in my basement.  (I figure having an extra set of heads for free would be a good idea too.)  But how many of these printers do I want to accumulate?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:25:19 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein

Mark F

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:02:28 pm »

Where did you see those prices?  

Just checked B&H and they are showing $1995 for the 5100 less a $200 rebate, and $2795 for the 6100 less a $400 rebate. No mention of any paper as part of the deal.  

Adorama shows the 5100 at $1400 and the 6100 at $2000, no mention of any rebates or paper.

Very strange as these two are usually in lockstep on prices.

Quote from: AlanG
Canon dropped the price on the 5100 and 6100.  Atlex sent me an email showing the 5100 for $999. Plus there is a $200 cash rebate and $300 worth of paper.  The 6100 is $1499 plus $420 worth of paper. (Plus they give a bonus roll of 24"x100' paper.)
Mark

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:41:26 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
Where did you see those prices?

See the link in the post above yours.

Mark F

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 10:47:29 pm »

Thanks. It's right there, missed it.  Looks like a one store special and I still am surprised that B&H and Adorama are so far apart.  

Quote from: John Hollenberg
See the link in the post above yours.
Mark

tkarlmann

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:49:49 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Thanks. It's right there, missed it.  Looks like a one store special and I still am surprised that B&H and Adorama are so far apart.

I have been TRYING to get a 6100 at those prices!!!  Have I missed the 'boat' by just a couple of days?  I actually had the 6100 in my 'basket' at Altex's site, then paused for two days to ponder and do a LOT research.  In that time, they appear to have raised the price be $500, AND taken the paper deal away!  Can some one help here?  I'm going slightly nuts!

I really want the 6100 for $1500...   any thoughts?

Thom

AlanG

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 11:33:17 am »

Quote from: tkarlmann
I have been TRYING to get a 6100 at those prices!!!  Have I missed the 'boat' by just a couple of days?  I actually had the 6100 in my 'basket' at Altex's site, then paused for two days to ponder and do a LOT research.  In that time, they appear to have raised the price be $500, AND taken the paper deal away!  Can some one help here?  I'm going slightly nuts!

Thom

Sorry but you missed the boat.  The prices were only good for about 5 days. On Tuesday, I called and bought a 5100 just for the ink, paper and print heads - $799 total. (After $200 rebate for my Epson serial #) They told me that I got the last one at that price.  I don't know exactly what was going on but for some reason, Canon reduced the price for those few days.  You might want to call Atlex and ask them if there is still a deal including some paper.  Otherwise you might want to wait and keep checking at Atlex.
Alan Goldstein

MACoberly

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:23:09 pm »

Quote from: tkarlmann

Thom

I ordered mine from Atlex on the last day of the sale.  I hasn't turned out to be a good desicion.  Before I bought it, I made it explicitly clear that I needed before Christmas.  I was told that it would ship that day and would have a 1-3 day transit time from California to Seattle, so there would be no problem getting it before Christmas.  They didn't ship it when they said they would, they had none of the paper that I would have ever remotely wanted, and worst of all they shipped it from Memphis so the delivery date is now the 29th of December w/ 9 boxes of 13x19 paper for the 24" printer.  They really should have given me the option to opt out when they weren't able to deliver the printer on the date that they reasured me several times that they would.  They may be a great company to deal with on a normal basis, but they didn't handle this printer deal for me very well. Thats my opinion anyway.

M>

AlanG

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 01:10:20 pm »

Quote from: MACoberly
I ordered mine from Atlex on the last day of the sale.  I hasn't turned out to be a good desicion.  Before I bought it, I made it explicitly clear that I needed before Christmas.  I was told that it would ship that day and would have a 1-3 day transit time from California to Seattle, so there would be no problem getting it before Christmas.  They didn't ship it when they said they would, they had none of the paper that I would have ever remotely wanted, and worst of all they shipped it from Memphis so the delivery date is now the 29th of December w/ 9 boxes of 13x19 paper for the 24" printer.  They really should have given me the option to opt out when they weren't able to deliver the printer on the date that they reasured me several times that they would.  They may be a great company to deal with on a normal basis, but they didn't handle this printer deal for me very well. Thats my opinion anyway.

M>

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just want to say that I have nothing to do with Atlex.  But my order seems fine and I am very pleased with the process. I ordered it at 2PM on Tuesday. Someone called me to see why I ordered a 24" wide roll of paper for a 17" printer.   So they just wanted to make sure there was no mistake.  That showed me they are quite on the ball. I think the order got held up for one day because one type of paper was out of stock so I altered the order on Wednesday.  They gave me the option to pay the price difference for another type of paper.  The free letter size box of paper arrived on Thursday.  (This was "Premier' brand and was shipped via UPS from Atlex.)  Today I got a call from the shipping company that my printer arrived at their warehouse in Maryland and will be delivered to me on Tuesday the 23rd.  They said there are three boxes so I guess the paper is with it also.

It is true that the list of available papers was not that great and the papers I normally use were not on it.  When I bought the 6100 in October there were many more choices.  I think that if the paper you want is not available, they should give you the option to wait for it or maybe give you some additional choices that are similar.  But considering that the printer was $1499 with $480 of any paper vs. $1949 without any paper, it is hard to complain.

So my order was quite fast although I am in no hurry for it.  I don't know if the difference in service has anything to do with Atlex.  The way it works is the dealers sell the printers and then they are fulfilled by regional distributors.  If you ordered from another dealer it would probably still go through the same regional distributor that delayed your printer.  The Canon paper that I received from my 6100 order (not bought at Atlex) was shipped directly from Canon in NJ as part of a rebate program.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:13:32 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 07:32:03 pm »

Another great deal from a reliable printer dealer (ITSupplies) was mentioned a couple of days ago on the iPF Wiki:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/7896883

Don't know if it is still good, no connection to the vendor except have purchased from them in the past
and they were great.

cmburns

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 01:32:58 am »

Atlex and ITSupplies have the same address. I also got this deal, and was also bummed about the lack of paper, but oh well, it was a great price. At least until there's a better deal next month, lol.

MACoberly

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 10:44:06 am »

Quote from: AlanG
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just want to say that I have nothing to do with Atlex.  But my order seems fine and I am very pleased with the process. I ordered it at 2PM on Tuesday. Someone called me to see why I ordered a 24" wide roll of paper for a 17" printer.   So they just wanted to make sure there was no mistake.  That showed me they are quite on the ball. I think the order got held up for one day because one type of paper was out of stock so I altered the order on Wednesday.  They gave me the option to pay the price difference for another type of paper.  The free letter size box of paper arrived on Thursday.  (This was "Premier' brand and was shipped via UPS from Atlex.)  Today I got a call from the shipping company that my printer arrived at their warehouse in Maryland and will be delivered to me on Tuesday the 23rd.  They said there are three boxes so I guess the paper is with it also.

It is true that the list of available papers was not that great and the papers I normally use were not on it.  When I bought the 6100 in October there were many more choices.  I think that if the paper you want is not available, they should give you the option to wait for it or maybe give you some additional choices that are similar.  But considering that the printer was $1499 with $480 of any paper vs. $1949 without any paper, it is hard to complain.

So my order was quite fast although I am in no hurry for it.  I don't know if the difference in service has anything to do with Atlex.  The way it works is the dealers sell the printers and then they are fulfilled by regional distributors.  If you ordered from another dealer it would probably still go through the same regional distributor that delayed your printer.  The Canon paper that I received from my 6100 order (not bought at Atlex) was shipped directly from Canon in NJ as part of a rebate program.

Hey AlanG.  Glad to hear that I worked out for you.  

If the printer would have been a week late any other time of the year I wouldn't be so frustrated.  I planned to spend my Christmas break in printing bliss.  When I ordered the printer Tuesday morning, I made this abundantly clear.  I was reasured several times even after shipping delays.  If they weren't able to make it happen then they should have told me, Plain and simple.  I could have got the printer locally w/ the paper that I wanted for $1900 and had it by Christmas.  Now I'm spending $1900 ($1500 for printer and $400 to go by the paper I wanted) and I won't have it by Christmas.  

Again I stress, I'm sure, normally they are a fine business to work with.  It just didn't work out this time.

On another note whats the deal with all of these web companys having several distribution points?  I noticed that Inkjet art has the same deal going on.  Are there four or five distributors around the country that these companys ship directly from?

M>

gotspeed

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 03:54:36 pm »

That must have been a deal lots of people jumped on. I also had problems with paper selection. They were out of most of what they offered. I ended up with most of the allocaton going to 2 boxes of photo rag. I am planning on swapping at least one of the boxes for somethig else. ITSupplies is local and they offered this choce for me. It was clear that if I didn't order some paper , the printer would go to someone else.

I had delivery for today, but fedex claims the diesel trunks don't want to run in this cold. I don't think it's waming up anytime soon. It's sitting now in a local warehouse...  

Also it turns out that IT supplies threw in their own deal of a roll of HP satin paper. This is now, is the only roll of 24" paper I am getting. I was not very happy since I really don't know what to do with non-canon paper profile wise and I have no way of making my own.

gotspeed

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 02:19:56 pm »

Merry Christmas!  Santa has arrived just in time in a white fedex truck in a middle of a snow storm. The package wouldn't fit through the chimney  so I had to clear a path with my snowblower into my garage.   I took my time with the setup, as evertyhing had to come to room temperature, condensation everywhere.

We were rather easily able to position the printer on the stand, on the first try...  soft landed on the stand studs..  A bit of head scratching about the different roll spacers, etc. The printer driver install didn't want to set the IP address by itself, so I did it manually from the control panel and used the 2nd option to install. I loaded the hp satin roll and accidentally chose wrong media setting. So I quickly powered down before the calibration started. After correcting that, I started the advanced calibration from the control panel myself. I hope that's the same thing as what the intial setup was going to do. It printed a bunch of colored box patterns, about 2-3 feet worth.

Then I did more head scratching on how to use this paper having only canon profiles. I tried a couple of things, like using canon satin profile, but that turned out to change colors, and not having a clue on how to setup the print matching color settings I decided the most expedient way to go is to let the printer manage the color and fired off a couple of 24x36 prints from lightroom on standard quality (not before figthing with the photoplus-satin wanting to be manual feed only, switched to HW satin on the driver, thanks to the wiki it didn't take too much time for me to figure it out).  A few minutes later I was looking at my prints laying on the floor. I was pleased! . It was midnight.

This is my first big printer, I have been following the trials and tribulations of you guys in this forum every once in a while and I wasn't really sure I want to get into it.   And a bit apprehensive about setting it up. So I am happy to have gotten as far as I did in one night.  Every time I tried to use my little printer, it was either banding or out of ink.   Now I have a couple of rolls and bunch of 17x22 boxes of paper, and this printer... this is different world..

John Hollenberg

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »

Quote from: gotspeed
I loaded the hp satin roll and accidentally chose wrong media setting. So I quickly powered down before the calibration started. After correcting that, I started the advanced calibration from the control panel myself. I hope that's the same thing as what the intial setup was going to do. It printed a bunch of colored box patterns, about 2-3 feet worth.

The calibration has to be done with one of the official Canon papers which are certified for that purpose:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/How+Calibrate+Printer

So, if you used HP Satin to do the calibration, your printer isn't calibrated at all.  FYI.

AlanG

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »

Quote from: John Hollenberg
The calibration has to be done with one of the official Canon papers which are certified for that purpose:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/How+Calibrate+Printer

So, if you used HP Satin to do the calibration, your printer isn't calibrated at all.  FYI.

The printers are supposed to come with a short roll of Premium Heavyweight Matte coated paper for this purpose.

What's in the Box

iPF6100 with Stand and Basket
   2" Roll Holder with 3" core adapters
   2 Print Heads
   1 Maintenance Cartridge (Installed)
   12 Starter Ink Tanks (BK/MBK/C/M/Y/PC/PM/GY/PGY/R/G/B)

------   Sample Roll Premium Matte Coated Paper  -------------

Media Swatch Kit
   Ethernet Card (built in)
   USB 2.0 High Speed Interface
   User Manual CD
   Printer Driver 2007 CD with:
Print Plug-in for Photoshop & Digital Photo Professional
Printer Driver Extra Kit
Digital Photo Front-Access
GARO Status Monitor
Media Configuraion Tool
   Quick Start Guide
   Reference Guide
   Menu Map
   Power Cord
   One Year Warranty Card
   Registration Card
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 12:29:06 pm by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein

MACoberly

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 01:03:09 pm »

Quote from: gotspeed
Merry Christmas!  Santa has arrived just in time in a white fedex truck in a middle of a snow storm. The package wouldn't fit through the chimney  so I had to clear a path with my snowblower into my garage.   I took my time with the setup, as evertyhing had to come to room temperature, condensation everywhere.

We were rather easily able to position the printer on the stand, on the first try...  soft landed on the stand studs..  A bit of head scratching about the different roll spacers, etc. The printer driver install didn't want to set the IP address by itself, so I did it manually from the control panel and used the 2nd option to install. I loaded the hp satin roll and accidentally chose wrong media setting. So I quickly powered down before the calibration started. After correcting that, I started the advanced calibration from the control panel myself. I hope that's the same thing as what the intial setup was going to do. It printed a bunch of colored box patterns, about 2-3 feet worth.

Then I did more head scratching on how to use this paper having only canon profiles. I tried a couple of things, like using canon satin profile, but that turned out to change colors, and not having a clue on how to setup the print matching color settings I decided the most expedient way to go is to let the printer manage the color and fired off a couple of 24x36 prints from lightroom on standard quality (not before figthing with the photoplus-satin wanting to be manual feed only, switched to HW satin on the driver, thanks to the wiki it didn't take too much time for me to figure it out).  A few minutes later I was looking at my prints laying on the floor. I was pleased! . It was midnight.

This is my first big printer, I have been following the trials and tribulations of you guys in this forum every once in a while and I wasn't really sure I want to get into it.   And a bit apprehensive about setting it up. So I am happy to have gotten as far as I did in one night.  Every time I tried to use my little printer, it was either banding or out of ink.   Now I have a couple of rolls and bunch of 17x22 boxes of paper, and this printer... this is different world..

Congratulations. Good to hear you got your printer.  

Happy Holidays.

M>

gotspeed

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 10:06:09 am »

Thanks for the heads up about the paper type. I did receive the sample roll so I'll give that one a go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up