Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canyonlands Sunrise  (Read 2813 times)

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Canyonlands Sunrise
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:30:56 pm »

I made this image last Saturday at sunrise while guiding a client in Canyonlands NP.  It was a gorgeous morning; cold and clear with no wind, a few light clouds to extend the sunrise and light up with lovely color.  This was the first image I made with my new 5D Mark II.  I'm really excited about this camera and anxious to start generating lots of new work with it!

Thanks for having a look and leaving a comment.

5D2, 17-40mm lens, Photomatix HDR
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:32:07 pm by bretedge »

Silver Birch Studio

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverbirchstudio/
Canyonlands Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:01 pm »

Looks great, especially for a first image with a new camera. How do you like the 5D2 so far? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive...
~ Julie

Happy shooting!

vorlich

Canyonlands Sunrise
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:20 am »

Outstanding! Sympathetic use of HDR. A fantastic balance of simple composition, yet no shortage of interest.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
Canyonlands Sunrise
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 03:53:19 am »

I usually loathe HDR images - they are normally overdone and look over-processed, but this one I think is wonderful and a rare treat. Subtle, gentle and a lovely composition. Bet that looks great when printed large.

Pete Truman

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Canyonlands Sunrise
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:06:30 am »

'Tis a lovely shot. Would have been better from a vantage point closer to the edge though. Maybe that boulder to the left  

I have to say that I didn't initially note that it was an HDR image (I'm dyslexic & tend to look at pictures first rather than reading captions), and there is nothing in the picture to give away your use of Photomatix. That's not something I can say about a good deal of HDR photos, most of which I really dislike. As others have said, this one as a large image would be really nice.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Canyonlands Sunrise
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 03:24:16 pm »

Thank you to all for the comments.  I'm most happy to hear that this one doesn't scream HDR, which is my goal with any HDR images I create.  I want to use the technology for good, rather than evil.  

Happy Holidays to all!

Paul Sumi

Canyonlands Sunrise
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 03:55:04 pm »

Bret,

Thanks for posting this, it brings back some great memories from when I photographed at this location back in 2005.  Nice to see an HDR image that doesn't scream HDR.

Paul

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:57:41 pm by PaulS »
Pages: [1]   Go Up