Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Of Audiences and Best Sellers  (Read 10432 times)

Pete Ferling

Of Audiences and Best Sellers
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:42:24 pm »

Very informative article Alain.  Your article covers a very important fact of life, really.  Just like your students knew how to entertain you as the 'audience' for the grade.  I have seen your examples time and time again in the professional advertising and studio departments.  The smarter directors and artists knew to conform to their audience, their bosses and marketing reps whom they serve, than to argue or force their opinions because they knew more about art, (which is often true).   In the last three years I've seen two directors and three designers  let go because they 'didn't fit in.'  Funny, they were hired for their expertise, and fired for pushing it.  They failed to identify their audience.

That's why I do my landscape and fine art photography for myself as a outlet, and conform to my 'clients' (the marketing managers and designers) whom I shoot for at my day job.  I do realize that should I decide to pursue or make a living with my hobby, I may have to switch roles and shoot for audience.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:55:28 am »

Just wanted to say thanks for the article, Alain.  I've forwarded the link to a number of photographer/ artist/ writer friends...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:57:22 am »

I noticed something worth mentioning: there are many quotes throughout the article, and every one of them is attributed properly to its author... except the first one. The first one is right under the headline, and is then followed by A. Briot photograph and his name, thus creating  a wrong impression, that it is a subtitle of his article, and therefore his. It is, however, an Ansel Adams' quote. I am sure it was not intentional, just an omission, but for the sake of those not familiar with Adams, it should be corrected.

mjrichardson

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:59 pm »

Hello.

I mean no offence to anyone but I don't get it!

I managed a good third of it but seriously, and I am not saying this because I have some axe to grind, I have no knowledge of Alan Broit, but that has to be the worst piece of writing I have ever read! It is not concise, articulate or well constructed, the rambling repetitiveness is thoroughly off putting, to the point that I find it unreadable. I find it very difficult to believe this article has come from the pen of a man who taught English!

There may well be a point to the article but it is so hidden that I gave up.

Sorry!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:01:52 pm by mjrichardson »

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:54:19 pm »

Quote from: mjrichardson
Hello.

I managed a good third of it but seriously, and I am not saying this because I have some axe to grind, I have no knowledge of Alan Broit, but that has to be the worst piece of writing I have ever read! It is not concise, articulate or well constructed, the rambling repetitiveness is thoroughly off putting, to the point that I find it unreadable. I find it very difficult to believe this article has come from the pen of a man who taught English!

Sorry!

Ok,

So if you don't like it, why you spend your time to read it?.

I don't get it, it's free, in you are bitching  and complaining .  

Move on, take a walk, when you come back maybe you will say thank you, if not.  Keep moving

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 03:37:15 pm »

Quote from: BlasR

Ok,

Move on, take a walk, when you come back maybe you will say thank you, if not.  Keep moving

BlasR

A rather typical response for this forum unfortunately, if you don't bow and scrape then you get slammed. Given just how much diversity is inherent to the art of photography there is little if any present or tolerated on internet photographic forums. It is not the first time by a long stretch that I have heard complaints that Alain's essays here are over long and rambling, the denial of the right to criticism is pathetic at best, I doubt it would be his own position, however your right to an opinion is no less valid than that of the person who you replied to and I would keep that in mind. You cannot represent a superior position when you decend far further than the dissenting opinion to voice your objection to it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:13:45 pm »

... So if you don't like it, why you spend your time to read it?...
Hmm... perhaps because one needs to spend at least some time reading in order to determine whether one likes something or not?

Pete Ferling

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 04:21:36 pm »

Ok,

BlasR

Why put the guy down for his opinion/honesty?

Pete Ferling

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 04:36:10 pm »

Hello.

Sorry!

I followed Alain's point precisely.  He has certainly made a living from it, and so I have a vested interesting in reading what he has to say.   He made statements and then gave clear examples as to why.  

You should clear your head, find some quiet time and re-read it.

BlasR

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 04:50:04 pm »

Quote from: slobodan56
Hmm... perhaps because one needs to spend at least some time reading in order to determine whether one likes something or not?

Good, but if you don't pay for it, don't complain about  

BlasR
BlasR

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 05:15:06 pm »

Quote from: Pete Ferling
Why put the guy down for his opinion/honesty?
... You should clear your head, find some quiet time and re-read it.
So, in conclusion:

"Move on, take a walk, clear your head, when you come back find some quiet time and re-read it, maybe you will say thank you, if not. Keep moving"  

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 05:45:11 pm »

Good, but if you don't pay for it, don't complain about.
Now, that is an interesting concept. I think that rule should be posted prominently on this board. So that we all know that only laudatory comments, applause and kisses are allowed. It also makes sense to post an addendum to the above rule for those who show a blatant disregard for it: "...  Move on, take a walk, when you come back maybe you will say thank you, if not. Keep moving." Or to put it more eloquently: "Seriously, do you have a brain cell in your tiny head? ... Doode, you need to get a life. Maybe watch daytime soap operas or donate your time to a charity. Do something useful with your life instead of wasting it making really stupid posts on forums.".

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »

Hello.

You are not alone in your assessment of M. Briot's writing style. I have learned to read the first few paragraphs, then go into skimming mode, because there are valuable insights within.

BlasR

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 07:44:28 pm »

I think life is beautiful.

Ops, I need to run, my wife is after me.

BlasR
BlasR

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:32 pm »

Hmm. . . I find Alain's writing style so easy to read and follow. I also find it engaging and enjoyable. I have read his book cover to cover and am genuinely surprised by these comments.

Oh well, chacun à son goût.

mjrichardson

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 01:09:21 am »

Good morning.

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to my post, whether in agreement or against, anything that raises a discussion is good in my book!

As I made clear, my intention was not to attack Alan Broit or his photography, I know nothing about him. I think my frustrations are centred on his lack of ability to articulate his point. I love to learn from people, I absorb a lot of information and influence from everyone and everything around me, as I presume we all do but I don't see the point of lip service. I think it's one thing to respect someone as a photographer and a businessman, an entirely different thing to overlook obvious shortcomings in the article and praise him based on that respect. Of course we all have different views, that's what makes life interesting, one man's abysmal writing is another mans inspiration, both views are equally worthy. I doubt very much that Mr Broit is arrogant enough to think that his work is beyond criticism or comment, or that everyone reading it would appreciate it. As an exercise in understanding your audience I would suggest that it was less than successful, unless of course he did a lot of research and made a conscious decision to appeal only to people with the will power to stick with the rambling and repetitive nature, in which case he did a marvellous job!

Of course these are only my views, you may agree, you may not, that's life! It would be a very boring place if we were only allowed to have positive views on everything.

Have a nice day!

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 07:07:45 am »

Interesting read. I too find it a tad hard to follow some of his points, but I can get there in the end.

Different markets have different demands. If you do stock photography, clearly you are shooting "for the market". Scenic work, IMO is the vision of the photographer, and that is all that counts, your own taste. Some will like it, some will not. The moment you wander from that, to crowd pleasing only, is the time to hang up the camera and retire.

We all have a different way of seeing a shot, and that is part of the fun of photography. It does not always work, but that is life.

I certainly know of a few folks, who are not really what I would consider good landscape photographers, but who have the "neck" and "push" to throw their work out there, this goes for other areas of photography too, even general. Exposure is the key factor, it seems to count for more than talent. But fine art is a different field in itself.

Slightly OT, but I have a question for Alain is he is about. I very much enjoy looking at your photos, ..just a note here, or rather a question. I have always felt shadows can be a vital part of a photo, yet I would describe some of your shots as rather "high key". Wondering if this is just shooting to your own tastes, or a specific goal here?

Herkko

• http://www.jussivakkala.com
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 08:25:15 am »

It is not concise, articulate or well constructed, the rambling repetitiveness is thoroughly off putting, to the point that I find it unreadable.

English is not my primary language so maybe that is why I couldn't find the next chapter very concise or well constructed. Among other things Alain's name is misspelled several times:

[!--quoteo(post=242925:date=Dec 9 2008, 08:09 AM:name=)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE ( @ Dec 9 2008, 08:09 AM) [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=242925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]As I made clear, my intention was not to attack Alan Broit or his photography, I know nothing about him. I think my frustrations are centred on his lack of ability to articulate his point. I love to learn from people, I absorb a lot of information and influence from everyone and everything around me, as I presume we all do but I don't see the point of lip service. I think it's one thing to respect someone as a photographer and a businessman, an entirely different thing to overlook obvious shortcomings in the article and praise him based on that respect. Of course we all have different views, that's what makes life interesting, one man's abysmal writing is another mans inspiration, both views are equally worthy. I doubt very much that Mr Broit is arrogant enough to think that his work is beyond criticism or comment, or that everyone reading it would appreciate it. As an exercise in understanding your audience I would suggest that it was less than successful, unless of course he did a lot of research and made a conscious decision to appeal only to people with the will power to stick with the rambling and repetitive nature, in which case he did a marvellous job![/quote]

..but I liked Alain's article in question and I posted link to another photography forum in my country.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:33:00 pm by Herkko »

framah

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 11:23:24 am »

...as it is in your post, as well.  His name is Alain... not Alan.  
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:16:14 pm »

Anyone who writes anything, at any length, requires one of two options: an editor; the chance to wait a week and then re-read what has been written, at which point repetition leaps off the page and can easily be edited out.

Bear in mind that Alain is French; his English, for a non-native speaker, is excellent and actually better than that of many natives it has been my lot to encounter. I don´t think it is language that is in dispute.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up